Separate Tickets - Connecting in PTY?

Old Sep 18, 19, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Separate Tickets - Connecting in PTY?

Looking to book on ticket, GEO-PTY (UA 016 Ticket number) and another PTY-BOG-CDG (Air France 057 ticket number) with a 57 minute connection in business both legs. I've read the threads and the connection sounds very doable in PTY.

Question: Will COPA check our bags through to CDG when we checkin at GEO? I am told COPA and Air France have a baggage agreement and they should check all the way through. Anyone have similar experience?

Thanks!
Old Sep 18, 19, 12:19 pm

Programs: OnePass / ASmileageplan / AAdvantage / Amtrak / ChoiceRewards / etc.
My experience with COPA baggage is that they have become very inefficient with near total reliance on preprogrammed options for their agents. If your connection is not on your itinerary, good luck. I would confirm before I left for the airport with the understanding that it may need to be sent as cargo.

I couldn't get my bag out of secure storage in PTY when I had to change plans (and notified COPA before check-in) and they then 'lost' the bag in-country for over 3 weeks.
Old Sep 18, 19, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

That could be bad, since we'll only be in Paris for 4 days before a day in Avignon and 2 in Barcelona, before taking a ship back to the U.S.

What if the agent can get it programmed on the correct set of flights in GEO, and the bag is properly tagged? Would that work?

Thanks for your reply!

Last edited by n2bspld; Sep 18, 19 at 6:28 pm
Old Sep 18, 19, 12:57 pm

Programs: OnePass / ASmileageplan / AAdvantage / Amtrak / ChoiceRewards / etc.
It might. When I sold travel, I would print out a consolidated itinerary for the client to give to the agent when checking bags. You might want to contact the airline directly and have your PNR (your passenger name record) annotated for the agent at check-in and make sure that you manually process check-in.

Also, you will want to get boarding passes for your connecting flight so you won't have to go through immigration, security etc. to get your connecting flight.

Search this Thread