Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Copa | ConnectMiles
Reload this Page >

Copa ticket issued, authorization hold placed but no final charge comes through

Old Mar 5, 19, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Silver Level: DL, Non-Elite: AS, UA, AA, WN

About a week ago, I bought a roundtrip, UIO-HAV, for a friend in Quito who didn't access to a credit card. I agreed to help out, but I was a bit worried cause I wasn't sure my US-based American Express would work, but the authorization went through and e-ticket was issued. It all seemed fine. Right after that, I returned back to the US and just now I looked at my AMEX and saw the initial authorization expired without posting. I quickly checked Copa's online reservation, and the ticket still looks to be valid on their end but I still am worried about what this might mean for my friends.

What I'm most worried about is the ticket getting canceled down the road... firstly, the fare is already $150 more expensive, which is a lot of money for a Cuban in Ecuador and it would royally suck if my friend showed up to the airport and the ticket wasn't valid or she was asked to present the payment card (which isn't hers). Anyone know what's going on here and if I should be worried?
Old Mar 5, 19, 1:10 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
When you purchased it, was the authorization/hold for a rounded figure? This seems to be the case for all my tickets purchased in the last few months (with the last one being today). All are for a rounded dollar amount, eg $404, vs the actual cost eg $404.18

I too have noticed that they drop off for a while, and then post with the updated (correct) full amount

A quick call to AMEX may help?
Old Mar 5, 19, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pmarrsouth View Post
This seems to be the case for all my tickets purchased in the last few months (with the last one being today). All are for a rounded dollar amount, eg $404, vs the actual cost eg $404.18

I too have noticed that they drop off for a while, and then post with the updated (correct) full amount

A quick call to AMEX may help?
Yes, exactly, it was rounded down to the nearest dollar by 15 cents. I'd call AMEX, I just don't know what I'd say to them.

As far as your experience, do they eventually post without calling the credit card company? How long does it take? I have a bit of low credit limit so I'd prefer to have post sooner rather than later so I don't have to think about it!

Edit: I called AMEX and they said they have authorized Copa to charge for $422 but it was Copa's job to claim payment within 10 days (which according to AMEX is tomorrow), so there's nothing they can do to make Copa do that. Now, question is, will Copa do it automatically, or should I call them too? This is quickly becoming a headache!

Last edited by Khabibul35; Mar 5, 19 at 7:28 pm
Old Mar 5, 19, 7:41 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Copa will (should) automatically charge you. I have never not had Copa not charge me for such a scenario. I have also never had a ticketing issue, with regards to what you laid out in your OP

I booked & paid for a flight this morning, and instantly had a $1083 hold on my Amex (Pending section on my account). The ticket cost $1083.66 and I expect the $1083 to drop off soon and the full
amount to hit my Amex within the next week or so (I do not have a more specific time period). I do not expect to have any issues with the ticket with regards to payment. I fly with Copa a lot and itís the same each time

Get the PNR and call Copa if you are concerned - although saying that, whatever you are told by the
person who answers the phone is most likely not binding etc - and you could get multiple different/conflicting answers if you call a number of times

I am not a financial advisor, but if you are worried about a low credit limit, then you can always preload your CC
Old Mar 7, 19, 8:30 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Spire
If I were you, I’d fax or email a brief note with a clear copy of your credit card and your contact info. to your friend in case the Copa agent asks for the payment card upon check-in.
Old Mar 11, 19, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by pmarrsouth View Post
I booked & paid for a flight this morning, and instantly had a $1083 hold on my Amex (Pending section on my account). The ticket cost $1083.66 and I expect the $1083 to drop off soon and the full amount to hit my Amex within the next week or so (I do not have a more specific time period). I do not expect to have any issues with the ticket with regards to payment. I fly with Copa a lot and itís the same each time
So the $1083 authorization has dropped off my Amex pending area, as expected. The actual charge should come on within the next few days, as normally happens

I did actually call Amex about this just now, and they say that itís quite strange for a company to do this, but they do see that Copa has a history of doing it with me. I only talked to one person, unsure of their experience, and not bothered to do multiple calls to see if anyone knows differently. But again, this is how Copa has operated with previous transactions of mine, itís doing the same again, and I expect to have no ticketing/boarding issues when I try to fly this itinerary
Old Mar 28, 19, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Update:
Ticket was initially booked on 2/24. One month later, the charge still hasn't hit my card. My friend's trip is on May 25th. How soon before that should I expect the actual charge to hit?

I really hope it's not the day of travel as that would make it very hard to solve any potential complications.
Old Mar 28, 19, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by Khabibul35 View Post
Update:
Ticket was initially booked on 2/24. One month later, the charge still hasn't hit my card.
Call Copa, ask them what is going on and if there is an issue with the ticket. Explain that you have yet to be charged for the ticket, and itís been over a month since purchase. If you feel unsatisfied after receiving an answer, HUCA or ask for a supervisor. As well as calling them, I would also DM them (message them) on twitter to ask - they are pretty responsive there. Twitter is free and takes ~2 minutes to sign up

Just to sanity check, you did use this CC, and
not some other?

Search this Thread