Wiki Posts
Search

4 segments for Status?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2018, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

4 segments for Status?

Hello,
Looking for clarification on how to achieve status for 2019.Currently Gold and this year am close to Platinum at moment. I thought I had read somewhere that aside form the MQM's you all must have flown 4 Copa segments. Can't find it now. What I did find in Copa website is "A flight segment is defined as a flight with one takeoff and one landing. Except for flights with stopover in a city other than Panama."

1. Do I need to fly 4 segments in Copa to get status?
2. I have flown this year Mex-Pty-Gua-Pty-Mex. That is 4 segments, but the previous wording is confusing me.

Thanks,
Old Nov 21, 2018, 11:30 pm

Programs: CM Gold / *A Gold
Its on the following page: https://connectmiles.copaair.com/en/...-qualification

To be honest, that last line "Except for flights with stopover in a city other than Panama" has me confused as well. With that said, I don't believe the routing you are taking would be considered a stopover.
The segments listed should get you to 4 needed to qualify.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Honduirish
Hello,
Looking for clarification on how to achieve status for 2019.Currently Gold and this year am close to Platinum at moment. I thought I had read somewhere that aside form the MQM's you all must have flown 4 Copa segments. Can't find it now. What I did find in Copa website is "A flight segment is defined as a flight with one takeoff and one landing. Except for flights with stopover in a city other than Panama."

1. Do I need to fly 4 segments in Copa to get status?
2. I have flown this year Mex-Pty-Gua-Pty-Mex. That is 4 segments, but the previous wording is confusing me.

Thanks,
Looking at point #2 one assumes you flew from MEX to GUA via PTY and back, with PTY being the connection point and 4 total segments, which is typical Copa and really most airlines with hubs.

They (and Avianca in Central America) have flights where GUA,MGA,SJO,SAL etc. might be a stopover but often you don't disembark, say MEX-PTY-MGA-GUA where it stops in Managua after Panama. Sometimes you deplane, sometimes not but the usual signal is it's all one flight number.

They would count MEX-PTY as segment one and PTY to GUA (stopping briefly in MGA) as segment two (e.g. not MEX-PTY as #1 , PTY-MGA as #2 and MGA-GUA as #3 .)

This is because the flight is "via" MGA vs. a separate flight to MGA with a third flight to GUA. This example of PTY-MGA-GUA will have only one flight number to be more clear. One has to watch when booking with both Copa and Avianca that it is not one of these stopover flights because sometimes the total time spent is longer than the time just waiting for the next non-stop.

And then you have conditions at the stopover to consider. I have been on Copa where they were going to be behind due to bad weather at the mid point stop (I think it was PTY to MGA but they were stopping in SJO on the way), they just went non stop to MGA and dropped the SJO leg entirely, so tough darts I guess to those people in SJO that day.

You'll also find that if you measure the total miles of all the legs via the stopover point they might add up to more miles than the straight route which is all you get credited for on miles flown.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 10:35 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
1. Yes - As shown on the link above
2. Your account will tell you how many Copa segments you have flown: Log in > My Account > See all my activities > then find your Copa flights on there, it has the segments as part of it

You can also call them if you are still not certain

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.