Copa Flight Booking Direct v. Using Miles

Old Oct 17, 18, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Copa Flight Booking Direct v. Using Miles

New to the site, but wanted to get some feedback on how best to book a Copa flight. Never flown with them before, but heard that they often have upgrades. I am flying from San Juan to Panama for an overnight layover and then Panama to PVR on a Tuesday afternoon. If I book with points (UR) will I still be entitled for upgrades? Or entitled to earn miles through ConnectMiles?

Also, I don't often ever use ConnectMiles but I fly United a lot - can these miles be transferred since they're partners? Sorry for all the dumb questions just can't seem to find my answers online
Old Oct 17, 18, 1:19 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by zbritt View Post
New to the site, but wanted to get some feedback on how best to book a Copa flight. Never flown with them before, but heard that they often have upgrades. I am flying from San Juan to Panama for an overnight layover and then Panama to PVR on a Tuesday afternoon. If I book with points (UR) will I still be entitled for upgrades? Or entitled to earn miles through ConnectMiles?
On phone, so I cannot see your Bio status or programs. But do you have status with Copa (ConnectMiles). If not, then you will not get a “CPU”, no matter what your status on UA is. The only thing that you might get is an Op-up, but I have yet to hear of one on Copa.

You will not be upgraded if you purchase an Economy ticket with miles - except if you are top status (Presidential) with Copa

You cannot earn miles when using miles, so this is out. If you are talking about earning miles with a purchased ticket, then yes you will earn miles. You can credit them to your UA account, your Copa/ConnectMiles account, or any other Star Alliance program. What they earn will depend on your booking class with what your program grants - you will need to check with your program to confirm this
Old Oct 17, 18, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, SPG/Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by zbritt View Post

Also, I don't often ever use ConnectMiles but I fly United a lot - can these miles be transferred since they're partners? Sorry for all the dumb questions just can't seem to find my answers online
You won't get upgraded even on a cash fare, let alone a UA points ticket. Copa flights if paid for, not award flights, earn on their weird and wacky program or United. Stick with United. You cannot transfer miles between any two airline programs. So stick to one in the same alliance (UA and CM are both Star Alliance so two different memberships just gives you a chance to earn miles 1/2 as fast in each if you fly on either a lot and keep splitting miles between the two).

Search this Thread