FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Copa | ConnectMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/copa-connectmiles-751/)
-   -   Is this normal service for Copa? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/copa-connectmiles/1934941-normal-service-copa.html)

chuck1 Oct 10, 2018 4:22 pm

Is this normal service for Copa?

I recently flew Copa round-trip in business IAD-PTY-IAD.

On the outbound the departure was 10:16am.
After take-off, the flight attendants remained seated in the business class galley for the first 90 minutes watching their electronic devices.
Only then did they commence the beverage and lunch service.
Is that the normal protocol?

The seat sign was not on during this time.

Certain other things...on the outbound IAD-PTY pillows and blankets. On the return PTY-IAD...none. Also, no coffee cups PTY-IAD and why just powdered creamer?

Pre departure beverages - not on the outbound - but on the return.

Just very inconsistent.

pmarrsouth Oct 10, 2018 4:58 pm

Inconsistency is a good summary of the general situation. Really depends on the FA (as you probably got to see).

I have not experienced many issues with Copa FAs, as the majority of the ones that work up front are in that position for a reason.

FA is usually up when its safe - on my last 2 flights in the last week it was right away once the flight deck allowed it.

Pillows are generally on the seats already - how quick was the turnaround do you know? I have been on a couple of flights where not much was quite ready, but it was down to a short turnaround and the FA was doing their best to get everything sorted as people were boarding.

Blankets are another issue, and I do not know the "rules" in general about them. One thing that I have found is that once a passenger asks for one, the FA will then go to each seat and ask each passenger if they want one.

I do not drink coffee, so cannot answer that one.

Cannot remember the last time where I was not offered water or juice for a PBD. And a few minutes later the FA will go around asking people for their food orders - menus themselves are hit and miss, but I think it depends on the length of flight and are usually handed out with the PDBs.

I would definitely fill out the survey, or tweet at them, regarding the FA sitting for 90 minutes, as this is not common - the only time where you do not see much of an FA is on an overnight from LAX/LAS/MDE etc, but thats presumably to not disturb the cabin as much. With the lack of PDB and sitting for quite a while, it sounds like a bad FA

ricktoronto Oct 10, 2018 7:14 pm

There should be two FAs in J so nothing would have been wrong after the altitude light went out to go and ask for something or speak to the purser about why there is no service.
I fly long haul CM to/via PTY and 90 minutes is far outside the experience. And on short flights they manage to serve a sandwich and nuts and drinks, like SAL MGA or SJO MGA which have 20-30 minutes at altitude at best.
As for milk or cream, CM and AV both seem to think liquid milk is a crazy idea and not only do they not have it for coffee they don't have it for kids or adults who want some milk. Cream? Forget it. I cannot recall seeing cream in grocery stores in Central America now that I think about it.
Sure it's perishable but so are other things so that cannot be a valid reason. (And there is UHT milk).

YadiMolina Oct 10, 2018 9:01 pm

I agree with the previous posters: 90 minutes was an outlier, service is inconsistent on some details, should be 2 FAs in biz.

Originally Posted by ricktoronto (Post 30301828)
I fly long haul CM to/via PTY and 90 minutes is far outside the experience.

I cannot recall seeing cream in grocery stores in Central America now that I think about it.

Ha! Plenty of cream in Panamanian supermarkets, imported from France or Denmark or Costa Rica, and infrequently even local.

ricktoronto Oct 11, 2018 8:41 pm

I have never seen cream or what we'd know as sour cream in Canada or the US anywhere in Nicaragua or Costa Rica. Leche agria is not close to the latter.

Redwood839 Oct 12, 2018 6:47 am

Originally Posted by ricktoronto (Post 30301828)
There should be two FAs in J so nothing would have been wrong after the altitude light went out to go and ask for something or speak to the purser about why there is no service.
I fly long haul CM to/via PTY and 90 minutes is far outside the experience. And on short flights they manage to serve a sandwich and nuts and drinks, like SAL MGA or SJO MGA which have 20-30 minutes at altitude at best.
As for milk or cream, CM and AV both seem to think liquid milk is a crazy idea and not only do they not have it for coffee they don't have it for kids or adults who want some milk. Cream? Forget it. I cannot recall seeing cream in grocery stores in Central America now that I think about it.
Sure it's perishable but so are other things so that cannot be a valid reason. (And there is UHT milk).

Huh? Copa serves milk in all classes. Matter of fact, it's mostly Dos Pinos milk.

Originally Posted by ricktoronto (Post 30305886)
I have never seen cream or what we'd know as sour cream in Canada or the US anywhere in Nicaragua or Costa Rica. Leche agria is not close to the latter.

Cream is widely sold in Costa Rica. Sour cream is literally natilla. It's like the most used add on for breakfast in Costa Rica.

supervillian Oct 12, 2018 2:29 pm

Really strange to receive that kind of service with CM in Y-class. I flew 4 segments with them over the weekend (all in business) and was offered a drink before departure and 10 minutes after takeoff. I fly out of YYZ, the FA crews that work the CM 470/471 route are very consistent with the service levels.

I know the call centre has a crappy rep, but maybe it makes sense in your situation to reach out to the connectmiles service center. You deserve a better Y experience with CM(or to receive some form of compensation for lack thereof).

Sebas Candia Oct 12, 2018 2:37 pm

For me 90 min for services its to much time for that fly, and i agree with YadiMolina, should be 2 FAs in biz.

pmarrsouth Oct 24, 2018 9:10 am

Originally Posted by pmarrsouth (Post 30301531)
Cannot remember the last time where I was not offered water or juice for a PBD. And a few minutes later the FA will go around asking people for their food orders - menus themselves are hit and miss, but I think it depends on the length of flight and are usually handed out with the PDBs.

Well it just happened! No PBD on board CM658 today from BOG. Cabin crew had plenty of time as they spent several minutes at the front of the plane chatting (could have been work related, but didn't look like it). No hot towels before the meal was served either. Completely different to Saturday's trip to BOG, where again PDB was offered and we were told of the menu (one option, fine for a 1 hour flight), and got a hot towel before the food was served

PDB should take 5 minutes max imo, and there were only 9 of us up front today, so could have done it in 2-3 minutes while explaining the food option

Sebas Candia Oct 24, 2018 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by pmarrsouth (Post 30350630)
Well it just happened! No PBD on board CM658 today from BOG. Cabin crew had plenty of time as they spent several minutes at the front of the plane chatting (could have been work related, but didn't look like it). No hot towels before the meal was served either. Completely different to Saturday's trip to BOG, where again PDB was offered and we were told of the menu (one option, fine for a 1 hour flight), and got a hot towel before the food was served

PDB should take 5 minutes max imo, and there were only 9 of us up front today, so could have done it in 2-3 minutes while explaining the food option

To sad read this and knowing that the quality of this service was better a time ago.