FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Copa | ConnectMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/copa-connectmiles-751/)
-   -   I really tried to like ConnectMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/copa-connectmiles/1892700-i-really-tried-like-connectmiles.html)

elusive1 Feb 7, 2018 7:37 am

I really tried to like ConnectMiles

The contrarian in me really wanted to like and use ConnectMiles, but they make it really tough to like. I have to assume 95% of all serious ConnectMiles users have both a LifeMiles account and a MileagePlus account. They seem to be taking the worst of both programs. Mileage sales are expensive like MP. Less partner availability than both MP and even LM. Partner redemption's prices are high like MP, but less availability than even LM. I do see a positive in the same day redemption's like MP offers ($80 fee), and of course redemption's on CM metal.

They seem to charge MP prices and offer less than LM perks.

YadiMolina Feb 7, 2018 9:22 pm

Well, me too.

I was a UA 1K when CM and UA shared the MileagePlus program, and it was great. Then they separated, and I'm stuck between the two programs, with mediocre status on UA, gifted Presidential Platinum status for a couple of years on CM. But I have tried to get behind CM in full, but have suffered. I realized my typical annual travels get me, at best, Gold status on CM. I already have a ConnectMiles credit card from a Panamanian bank that gives me Silver status. (The yearly fee is almost $150 and can be a pain in the rear to use.)I fly a bunch of 2-3 hr flights out of PTY. And I fly occasionally 5 or 6 hour trips. I love the upgrades on the 3hr flights... but when I really really wanted an upgrade to EZE, I couldn't get it, no matter how many miles or upgrade certificates I wanted to use. Two years of ConnectMiles upgrade certificates were completely useless to me, zero usage due to restrictions and unavailability. But I almost always get upgrades for the short flights. So it's a big debate for me.

I typically use miles to gift flights for relatives and friends. I find no difference between using UA miles and CM miles for the flights that I typically look for.I think I am going to credit all my CM flying to MileagePlus this year, and give up on ConnectMiles. I can afford to sit in Y for those flights to Bogota and Lima (free snack and a drink regardless), to achieve better status on UA for flights to the US and beyond.

As far as "serious ConnectMiles" flyer, I can offer a colleague. He gets Pres Plat status by virtue of segments. He buzzes all over Central America, several flights a week, and because of last-minute fares and upgrades, gets 2 segments per flight to hit 95 segments. As I have posted elsewhere here, I can't imagine how many more serious CM flyers exist, except for the passenger buying J PTY-LAX or JFK once a month or more.

klakhav Feb 8, 2018 6:29 am

The Connect Miles Customer Service is by far the worst in airlines. Even after DM them on Twitter, I got no resolution. It is like dealing with dumb and dumber.
I will not fly COPA anymore unless I have NO other options.

Originally Posted by elusive1 (Post 29389716)
The contrarian in me really wanted to like and use ConnectMiles, but they make it really tough to like. I have to assume 95% of all serious ConnectMiles users have both a LifeMiles account and a MileagePlus account. They seem to be taking the worst of both programs. Mileage sales are expensive like MP. Less partner availability than both MP and even LM. Partner redemption's prices are high like MP, but less availability than even LM. I do see a positive in the same day redemption's like MP offers ($80 fee), and of course redemption's on CM metal.

They seem to charge MP prices and offer less than LM perks.

kkss Feb 9, 2018 5:55 am

I've been Pres Plat since day 1 and I can say for me it is well worth it. I credit all my other international flights to CM in addition to my Copa US to SA flights (at least 2 or 3 times a month) It is extremely rare that I am not upgraded on flights that I don't already book J or use an upgrade. I get more regional and global upgrades than I know what to do with, as they gave me extra for passing higher thresholds. Why were your upgrades useless? What restrictions did you find? I used all mine for either Copa metal or UA and was fine. Although the miles are not as "valuable" as other programs I still get a ton (since they are doubled on Copa flights) and if you are flexible you can still find plenty of premium seating on lots of Star Alliance partners. CM will give you greater award availability and many other perks, including waiving cancellations fees on award tickets. My favorite show of customer service....got denied a Visa to Venezuela earlier in the year after purchasing 2 RT tix and was allowed to use that credit for totally different flights. So although Copa and CM is far from perfect, they really treat me like a king, and deserve some credit. I really think the view on CM should depend.

keitherson Feb 12, 2018 1:37 pm

IMO the FFP is fine, it's just the sad state of PTY airport and soft/hard product.

Also going from 100% mileage accrual on deep discount to 50% kind of sucked. Thought they were gonna be like Alaska and make it a selling point but apparently they were too protective of their miles... which doesn't even make sense given they're an entirely new program.

DarrenChannel Feb 13, 2018 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by keitherson (Post 29409395)
IMO the FFP is fine, it's just the sad state of PTY airport and soft/hard product.

Also going from 100% mileage accrual on deep discount to 50% kind of sucked. Thought they were gonna be like Alaska and make it a selling point but apparently they were too protective of their miles... which doesn't even make sense given they're an entirely new program.

Copa lost me when they reduced elite qualifying miles to 50% on the lower fares. Even United still gives you 100% of miles flown towards Elite Status.

I guess I should thank Copa, though, for giving me the extra push I needed to cement my decision to become a "free agent" this year when it comes to my flight decisions!

jupper Feb 19, 2018 4:22 am

Originally Posted by DarrenChannel (Post 29412562)
Copa lost me when they reduced elite qualifying miles to 50% on the lower fares. Even United still gives you 100% of miles flown towards Elite Status.

Latest e-mail now states that Economy Promo won't even get you upgrades until the day of departure... :(