FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Copa | ConnectMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/copa-connectmiles-751/)
-   -   Looking For Updated Info ON CM & PTY (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/copa-connectmiles/1888736-looking-updated-info-cm-pty.html)

ricport Jan 16, 2018 11:34 am

Looking For Updated Info On CM & PTY

Newbie to this thread, CM and PTY. Am considering JFK-PTY-MVD in J in early October and was hoping to get some updated information (< 1 year old), as I would think things can change. Here's what I'm wondering, and hoping the CM experts will give updated info/confirmation:

- Will the new terminal (supposed to open Sept 2018, although I see on here that may be wishful thinking) service CM flights?
- I understand that any duty-free liquid purchases made at the originating airport would have to be dumped when returning to the U.S.; thus, what are the duty-free stores at PTY like? How's the selection? Prices? Generally prefer to purchase items not readily available in the States, as I don't see the point in lugging back liquor/perfumes/etc. which I can just as easily purchase here (other than the obvious tax benefits, which could be negated if the prices are lousy).
- Understand CM's J product is pretty much like U.S. narrow-body F. But, it seems like there is quite a bit of discrepancy amongst the 737 fleet... Do they generally fly the newer metal on the U.S. & S. America long-haul routes? Are they expecting any MAX deliveries this year? If so, will these be deployed on the U.S. & S. America long-haul routes?
- CM's J food/alcohol offerings generally get poor to mediocre reviews. Still pretty accurate? How are the portion sizes? If small, can you get extras? Should I bring on board? Should I pre-order a special meal instead? If so, which one? Do they offer champagne? I know their rum offering is pretty good, but what about the rest?
- The general reviews I've seen for CM's staff is not great. It seems like ground staff can range from indifferent to downright rude, and the inflight staff basically does as little as they have to... Still the case?
- Am seeing conflicting info on in-seat power ports... Consensus, however, seems to say no. Can someone verify?
- I'm a big planner, so am wondering about options in the event of a delayed flight/connection that is too tight (<45 mins.)... I see that CM has an excellent on-time record, but things do happen... Given that, if I am going to miss a connection or have too tight of a connection time, how agreeable are CM staff to interlining me with another carrier to reach my destination? Would think at the minimum they would at least interline with other Star Alliance members... And, if I could do this, could I trust them to handle my bags appropriately?

Thanks very much!

ricktoronto Jan 18, 2018 9:38 pm

Just any sort of info?

YadiMolina Jan 22, 2018 5:56 am

There have not been any changes in the product or service compared to past posts.

The only thing I could add with certainty is that the 737 versions with the pull out-screens in first class have USB charging ports.

ricktoronto Jan 22, 2018 8:28 pm

Weird - the original post when I read it was completely empty and asked nothing. Now it has 500 questions.
CM inflight staff is better on average than AA staff on LatAm routes. Equal to TACA/Avianca which is actually pretty good.
It's airplane food and thus lacks Michelin stars but it's not worse than AA.
CM holds outbound flights if inbound are delayed if there are no options to depart the same day. I would not worry about PTY-MVD leaving if that's all she wrote that day. Not sure what the alternatives would be other than Avianca via Bogota or something. I've seen long flights held for delayed inbound a few times. They are very prompt and pad the schedules as well so this is a small concern vs. competitors.
They have in seat power in J/C which is the only class I fly in. Maybe the staff ratings and power differ in the back, no idea since I've never flown in the back on over 100 flights on Copa. In seat power is certainly more consistent than WS to SJO where they seem to forget it's a 5 1/2 hour flight and the Wright Bros. original plane is on the route.
That new terminal won't be open in 2018 let alone September 2018. Not sure why it would matter anyway.