Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Copa | ConnectMiles
Reload this Page >

Copa Award Travel via United pulled

Old Dec 29, 17, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

I was searching last week on United's website for Copa flights from SFO to MVD in 03/2018. There were tons of 30k economy and 60k business saver flights connecting in PTY for a few hours. About 3-6 a week for the whole month, inbound and outbound.

I check this week to book the flight but almost all of the Copa award travel is gone. I checked for practically every month in 2018, to other cities in South America (EZE), and from other departing cities in the US (LAX, ERW, ..). I found practically no award saver flights at all. I called United, checked star alliance, and checked Ana as well. Nothing. I even called Copa and they said the flights in question were practically empty.

Has anyone ever seen this before? It seems like all their award travel was suddenly pulled. I am curious if they are renegotiating or if something is up, and I should just hold tight for another few weeks. I've never seen some much award travel disappear so quickly.
Old Jan 2, 18, 8:05 am

Programs: CO/UA 1K, Marriott/SPG Au, Hilton Ag, IHG Pt
Originally Posted by soyceleste View Post
Has anyone ever seen this before? It seems like all their award travel was suddenly pulled. I am curious if they are renegotiating or if something is up, and I should just hold tight for another few weeks. I've never seen some much award travel disappear so quickly.
I was looking into booking CM revenue travel to Brazil the past few weeks and prices have soared in a matter of days, despite the seatmaps showing flights still wide open. So this might be inventory/capacity control. Ended up with a paid CM itinerary with outbound in B (ouch, fare doubled in 3 days!) and return in D (cheaper than Economy); the price has only slightly gone down (they opened up Q-space). United was able to confirm an RPU on the B-legs into Business right after the reservation (finally) ticketed. That whole time there was no Business Saver award-space on those flights according to United's website.

Mind you United's website hasn't been offering paid CM flights either for some time now (changed in the last year or so it seems)...
Old Jan 3, 18, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jupper View Post
I was looking into booking CM revenue travel to Brazil the past few weeks and prices have soared in a matter of days, despite the seatmaps showing flights still wide open.
Ah, sounds like Copa is doing capacity control indeed. Shame, I wonder if prices will drop in a few weeks after the holiday season.
Old Jan 4, 18, 4:07 pm

Programs: CO/UA 1K, Marriott/SPG Au, Hilton Ag, IHG Pt
Originally Posted by soyceleste View Post
Ah, sounds like Copa is doing capacity control indeed. Shame, I wonder if prices will drop in a few weeks after the holiday season.
Prices have dropped slightly, they opened up more Q/M, then again, I'm booked and upgraded.
No Business Saver inventory on CM though for the next 6 months from UA's website.