Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Copa | ConnectMiles
Reload this Page >

5-hour layover at PTY. Worth leaving the airport?

Old Aug 17, 17, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Figured this was a good place to ask. Flying SFO-PTY-EZE next week and I'll be at PTY from 11 am to 4pm. Never been there before, not sure how easy it would be to go through customs and then back in. Anything interesting nearby? Should I just hang out at the airport? I'm flying Copa business class so I assume I could hang out at a lounge if I stay there. Thanks.
Old Aug 17, 17, 1:06 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, United Premier Silver, Connect Miles Plat, Marriott Plat,
A few points:

1) The lounge is horrible, although your transit time is outside of the rush hours. So it wouldnt be packed.
2) You can leave the airport and come back in rather easily. Not much to do around the nearby area though, but you can take a cap to MetroMall a good 15 mins ride away, or go see the old ruins of Panama Viejo, also around 15 mins away.
3) The lounge has showers. In case you decide to leave the airport, you may want to make use of them. Panama is sticky hot as hell.
Venezuela-Miami likes this.
Old Aug 17, 17, 4:59 pm

Programs: MileagePlus 1K/*G
Traffic has been horrible this week. I would advise checking Google Maps or Waze before making a final decision on leaving the airport.
Old Aug 17, 17, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CM Pres Plat., HHonors Diamond, IHG Ambassador Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Gold
last time we tried that, although a couple years back, Panama's immigration refused to let us through out and stated that a minimum of 7hrs connection is required
Old Aug 17, 17, 6:44 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, United Premier Silver, Connect Miles Plat, Marriott Plat,
Originally Posted by PTY1K View Post
Traffic has been horrible this week. I would advise checking Google Maps or Waze before making a final decision on leaving the airport.
It's quincena and decimo month at the same time this week. People have more money to spend - so they spend them.
Took me 40 mins to get home from Multiplaza. Usually it takes me 5.
Old Aug 19, 17, 9:32 pm

Programs: MileagePlus 1K/*G
Originally Posted by Milkman View Post
It's quincena and decimo month at the same time this week. People have more money to spend - so they spend them.
Took me 40 mins to get home from Multiplaza. Usually it takes me 5.
Same here. More than 1hr from Ciudad del Saber to Ave Balboa, even with some 'shortcuts'.

Search this Thread