FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Copa | ConnectMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/copa-connectmiles-751/)
-   -   United blocking seats on Copa? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/copa-connectmiles/1857214-united-blocking-seats-copa.html)

keitherson Jul 28, 2017 6:29 am

United blocking seats on Copa?

The inventory does not match up at all. Just a search for flights to EWR, many seats/routes available in "X" for UA (not XN elite inventory or HN Standard level inventory) do not show up on Copa. They show up on a MileagePlus search but not on ConnectMiles, and the agents cannot book it either.

Who's responsible for this?

ricktoronto Jul 28, 2017 9:47 am

United wants to be stingy for their own MP members. This is common among lots of airlines despite alliances.

More reason to fly Copa, use United's program.

It's not clear are these UA flights to EWR from where? Panama? Or Copa flights?

keitherson Aug 1, 2017 1:45 am

UA metal. basically anything: SFOEWR, LAXEWR, IAHEWR, ORDEWR.. nothing!

However, I believe other Star partners can still book. (like AC)

ricktoronto Aug 1, 2017 9:16 pm

Mystery solved then. Quite possible what Copa will pay vs. what United wants is not lining up whereas with AC or other Star Alliance they will (or some other quid pro quo like even-steven with bought vs. sold).

These airline programs buy the flights on other airlines with some sort of moolah or the best airline will just fill up with people that never have and never will pay a peseta to fly on them. If it were literally an "alliance" everyone has access to every award seat all the time.

This is not uncommon with a lot of airlines lately including OneWorld, AA can't book this but Qantas can, BA can book on BA but CX members cannot, on it goes.

It's hardly egalitarian the whole "alliance" yadda-yadda-yadda.

Even on AA where most of my miles are I just book with them in anytime J class and don't even look for their own saver awards. If they exist (e.g. never) there are 4 connections with one overnight.

Kacee Aug 1, 2017 10:06 pm

It's not UA "blocking" anything, it's UA releasing more inventory to its own program members than to partners. This is very, very common across the frequent flyer universe.

keitherson Aug 1, 2017 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 28636847)
It's not UA "blocking" anything, it's UA releasing more inventory to its own program members than to partners. This is very, very common across the frequent flyer universe.

No. Because I think OTHER Star programs can access these saver awards.

Kacee Aug 2, 2017 12:17 am

Originally Posted by keitherson (Post 28637029)

Even if that's true, It's still not "blocking" by UA. It's either a UA release issue, or a problem on the CM end.

Don't understand this FT obsession with so-called "blocking" - makes it sound so personal . . . like UA is deliberately messing with my vacation plans.

ricktoronto Aug 3, 2017 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by keitherson (Post 28637029)

Yes, if you read what I wrote earlier it's because it is in the interest of UA to do that which means more money or if they use some sort of reciprocity, UA doesn't wind up with loads of available Copa seats nobody in UA wants to redeem.

And not all Star Alliance have equal dibs.

There is nothing new in this situation and it's not only Copa and it's not only Star Alliance.