Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Copa | ConnectMiles
Reload this Page >

20% and now 40% bonus - can we expect more?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2017, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler,Hyatt-Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson, National-Exec.

Hello,
Just got an offer from COPA to transfer or buy miles with 40% bonus. A week or so ago I got the same offer which was 20% bonus.
Anyone knows where this is going?
Should we be expecting a 60%, then a 80% and finally a 100% bonus offer.
I would be more apt to buying COPA miles if I can get 100% bonus and am willing to hold out.
Anyone else get this offer?
Thanks
Old Jul 20, 2017, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Keep in mind the more they hawk discounted miles the more difficult it will be to redeem them, or they can always up the redemption rates later.

I am getting peppered with these offers from AA, Copa and United. Try using them later and assess the value.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 10:23 am

Programs: UA
I just got an offer for 30%....
Old Jul 24, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, SAS Eurobonus Silver, Connect Miles Gold, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Disc.
I got 30% too...took an offer for 50% some months ago. So I guess it varies.

I find generally though that redeeming has become more difficult.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by Milkman
I got 30% too...took an offer for 50% some months ago. So I guess it varies.

I find generally though that redeeming has become more difficult.
How...odd. Almost like demand exceeds supply for some new reason.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 6:12 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, SAS Eurobonus Silver, Connect Miles Gold, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Disc.
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
How...odd. Almost like demand exceeds supply for some new reason.
Yep. Totally unacceptable.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 5:45 pm

It's almost like they let people buy points for 1/2 price or something.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler,Hyatt-Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson, National-Exec.
Cannot utilize them

But you cannot use them and on top of that they slap late booking fee. This is the first I have heard of this.

It's almost like they let people buy points for 1/2 price or something.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 1:16 pm

Hence why I did not join (well, I joined, just never use it) even though I was given both Platinum and Presidential Platinum at the same time probably due to 12 full fare business class flights in the year. Web site didn't work, never got cards after asking several times. I stick with United.

I fly Copa a lot though. I'm waiting to board a flight now in fact. But many reasons to avoid a newbie FFP.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 6:39 am

Hence why I did not join (well, I joined, just never use it) even though I was given both Platinum and Presidential Platinum at the same time probably due to 12 full fare business class flights in the year. Web site didn't work, never got cards after asking several times. I stick with United.

I fly Copa a lot though. I'm waiting to board a flight now in fact. But many reasons to avoid a newbie FFP.
Last night I managed to book 3 segments (one one-way and a return) in the lowest redemption band (7500 miles) - a total of 22500 miles plus approx 200 USD in taxes.
The one way, which is in only 3 weeks, would otherwise have cost me almost 900 USD and the other ticket would have been around 750 USD.

For my preferred leisure destinations, I can get a lot of value for my miles when I play the early bird game. It's not all that bad.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 9:11 pm

Sounds like those are pretty short haul flights. And in coach I have to guess.

I fly them just have no trust in their IT or oddball FFP. The lounge in PTY is a disgrace as well.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 8:24 am

It's KIN and POS respectively. 1h 40m and 2h 35m flying time respectively. Not short hobs but of course not long haul either (if you consider any CM destination a long haul).
And yes, it's in coach with no chances of complementary upgrades. However, the saving vs buying a regular ticket is huge, so I gladly accept it.

Their IT is a mess, I totally agree. But I'm yet to et dumped from a flight or have funds incorrectly taken from my CC or other bigger mess ups. It's mostly small annoying things as reservations not showing up.

And yes, the lounge in PTY is horrible. I dont go there anymore, unless I have work to do.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 9:10 pm

Sure they have long haul. US and Canada, Brazil, Buenos Aires.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 5:46 am

Thanks for teaching me about the CM network
Old Aug 4, 2017, 4:25 pm

You asked if I considered if any CM destination was long haul and I pointed out a few of quite a few. That others would consider similarly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.