FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Copa | ConnectMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/copa-connectmiles-751/)
-   -   48min connection in PTY (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/copa-connectmiles/1831429-48min-connection-pty.html)

khlay Mar 23, 2017 9:07 pm

48min connection in PTY

I'm trying to book a ticket from LIM to SFO. The flights I got was:

LIM to PTY CM 760 Airlines
48m connection
PTY to SFO CM 382 Aircraft

Will it be any problem with this short connection? Have no idea about PTY nor COPA at all.

AAEXP Mar 24, 2017 6:43 am

Originally Posted by khlay (Post 28079000)
I'm trying to book a ticket from LIM to SFO. The flights I got was:

LIM to PTY CM 760 Airlines
48m connection
PTY to SFO CM 382 Aircraft

Will it be any problem with this short connection? Have no idea about PTY nor COPA at all.

COPA has a very efficient hub in PTY. 48 minutes is absolutely doable if your arriving flight is on time.

ajeleonard Mar 24, 2017 7:09 am

Will be fine, you get let into the departures area and just walk over to your next flight like US domestic. Security if needed is at the gate.

I've seen a 36 minute scheduled connection at PTY so 48 is generous

YadiMolina Mar 24, 2017 7:37 am

"Secondary security" at the gate will definitely be in effect at the gate for the US flight.

48 min is no problem.

khlay Mar 24, 2017 8:37 am

All,

Thanks a lot.

drvannostren Mar 26, 2017 4:05 pm

Piece of cake! Can of corn! ...are there any more of those?

PTY is a brilliant hub for making connections, you'll probably have to walk a little bit to get to the gate, and yes there's extra screening for a US flight. CM also seems to board ridiculously early, so don't be surprised if you get there for last call.

But this shouldn't be an issue at all.

Makes me wish I was transferring at PTY tomorrow and not MEX where a 3 hour INTL cnx can be tight.

ricktoronto Mar 26, 2017 8:37 pm

CM pads their schedules anyway (like AV) plus CM760 has a 93% on time record with an average delay of 8 minutes. You might even land next to the gate you are leaving from (or if like me, the entire length of the terminal from it).

CM does not like to strand passengers leaving on longer flights and will hold a flight out to allow for the inbound to connect. E.g. the SFO flight has an average of 20 minute late out.

drvannostren Mar 27, 2017 3:58 pm

Agree with Rick, I do love CM for this though.

It's a real strength of PTY.

Can anyone explain the super early boarding though? Am I the only one who notices this? CM boards every aircraft as if it's a widebody. More than a few times I've gotten to the gate T-20 and been told I'm the last passenger.

MarkXS Mar 27, 2017 4:12 pm

Absolutely should work. I've done connections that short or nearly so, a few times. Once even with an in-cabin cat.

ricktoronto Mar 28, 2017 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by drvannostren (Post 28094289)
Agree with Rick, I do love CM for this though.

It's a real strength of PTY.

Can anyone explain the super early boarding though? Am I the only one who notices this? CM boards every aircraft as if it's a widebody. More than a few times I've gotten to the gate T-20 and been told I'm the last passenger.

Combining padded schedules and stuffing the passengers on board early gets you an award for the best on time airline in the western hemisphere is why.

I had a slightly late inbound from SJO connecting in PTY to MGA and at T-25 I was the last passenger to board in J and my luggage made it.

KenInEscazu Apr 2, 2017 12:00 pm

Those of us in my company who travel regularly MDE-PTY-SJO schedule 33 minute connections, and I don't recall one ever being missed. Our arrival and departure gates in PTY are almost always a long way apart, too.

The extra 15 minutes on the OP's schedule is more than enough for USA-departure security. They won't shut the door in the rare event that someone is in that line at the scheduled time of departure.

IME, the only way for this to go wrong is for the LIM departure to go mx.