Sitting on tarmac for 3 hours

Old Dec 22, 16, 2:48 am
Original Poster

Sitting on tarmac for 3 hours

i know this isn't directly related to connectmiles, but after sitting here for three hours I'm bored and a little irritated at Copa.

Our pty-lax was looking at an ontime arrival when we were diverted to Ontario due to weather and a large traffic jam. Originally told 30 minutes then we would take off for LAX. It's now been 3 hours we have been sitting in the plane (11 hours total). My kids are tired and hungry... But at least we've been given a cup of water....

Hopefully we will take off soon....
Old Dec 22, 16, 7:48 am

Programs: UA Million Miler,Hyatt-Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson, National-Exec.
Sorry to hear your dilemma. Sometimes airlines cannot help weather delay.
Originally Posted by San2pty View Post
i know this isn't directly related to connectmiles, but after sitting here for three hours I'm bored and a little irritated at Copa.

Our pty-lax was looking at an ontime arrival when we were diverted to Ontario due to weather and a large traffic jam. Originally told 30 minutes then we would take off for LAX. It's now been 3 hours we have been sitting in the plane (11 hours total). My kids are tired and hungry... But at least we've been given a cup of water....

Hopefully we will take off soon....
Old Dec 23, 16, 5:15 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by San2pty View Post
It's now been 3 hours we have been sitting in the plane (11 hours total).
Painful
Old Jan 11, 17, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

After about another 30 minutes we took off from ONT and flew to LAX... waited another 20-30 minutes for a gate and finally were let off.

From boarding to doors open at the gate it was over 12 hours on the plane... At least now my wife can no longer say "I can't do 12 hours on a plane".... Time to book a trip to China!
Old Jan 14, 17, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
I was once diverted to Ontario for the same reason, and I remember well how overcrowded the tarmac was. It has been 35 years now, so things have probably changed some, but I can't imagine that Ontario has grown enough to accommodate all of the resulting diverted LAX traffic.

Both passengers and airlines deserve sympathy in these cases. I can't imagine the solution to all those aircraft stuck in line as more continue to arrive. Cope surely receives no priority treatment with no flights ever scheduled to land there.

Glad you made it to LAX by air. We ended up on a bus to LAX, and the ride took longer than the original flight.
Old Jan 16, 17, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

I've had friends diverted to ONT and bussed back to LAX, and that's what I was expecting... so much so that as soon as we got close to the ground I was reserving a rental car in ONT to make our drive to San Diego... It would have actually been an easier drive...
Old Jan 17, 17, 8:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
I'm really surprised they diverted that particular flight. I don't think ONT can process international arrivals, nor does CM have any facilities there, which is why they kept you on the aircraft. They should have diverted a domestic flight and let you keep your slot.

Search this Thread