PTY Connection Times

Old Sep 19, 16, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
PTY Connection Times

I am looking at flying RT MCO-PTY-POS . The connection time between PTY-POS is 1hr 35 minutes and on the return there's a connection of 1hr 11min between PTY-MCO. Both seem kind of tight for me but normal for Copa. Assuming the flights are on time are these doable connections?
Old Sep 19, 16, 6:17 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Should be no issue if bags are checked all the way through (you wont need to go thru immigration/customs)

Gates in general are very close, longest separation is about 10 minutes at a quick walk
Old Sep 24, 16, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, SPG/Marriott Bonvoy Gold
I have transferred in PTY for MGA with 15 minutes to board and I got there and the suitcase got there as well.

I think excluding the mysterious remote terminal you could walk end to end in PTY 4 times in an hour.

It takes longer for the departure screens overhead to change than to walk to a gate.
Old Sep 24, 16, 11:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CM nada
Originally Posted by ricktoronto View Post
It takes longer for the departure screens overhead to change than to walk to a gate.
The flight information screens at PTY are horrible, and borderline useless. Clearly programmed by someone who has never been in an airport.
Old Sep 25, 16, 10:02 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by YadiMolina View Post
The flight information screens at PTY are horrible, and borderline useless. Clearly programmed by someone who has never been in an airport.
Yes, its not unusal to trek down to gates 5-7 as the info screens tell you that your Orlando flight is flying from there, then when you arrive you are directed back to the 20s
Old Jan 2, 17, 1:29 am

Programs: AC E50K (*Gold), DL, CZ
I have a 7 hour+ connection from YYZ; is it worth going to a nearby hotel for that short amount of time? The onward connecting flight would be to EZE, so presumably, I'd have to clear immigration twice.

My return sees a 12 hour connection, so I would definitely book something.
Old Jan 2, 17, 7:39 am

Programs: UA Gold, CM nada
Getting a hotel is definitely doable for 7 and 12 hour layovers. The flight from YYZ arrives at 13:29, and the immigration lines to enter Panama should be quick. So should immigration and security back into the airport at 8-ish.

Only hotels near the airport: Crowne Plaza and Riande. The Central America thread has several posts about hotels and layovers at PTY.

The "worth" of doing so is up to you. Dining options at the airport are limited: fast food + 1 sit-down US chain restaurant. And the Copa Club is weak.
Old Jan 2, 17, 3:27 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*Gold), DL, CZ
The time required is enough; no lounge is worthy enough to spend 7+hours (I've been reading all the threads in the Copa forum).

Will head over to the regional forums next.

Cheers, and thanks for your advice.

Getting a hotel is definitely doable for 7 and 12 hour layovers. The flight from YYZ arrives at 13:29, and the immigration lines to enter Panama should be quick. So should immigration and security back into the airport at 8-ish.

Only hotels near the airport: Crowne Plaza and Riande. The Central America thread has several posts about hotels and layovers at PTY.

The "worth" of doing so is up to you. Dining options at the airport are limited: fast food + 1 sit-down US chain restaurant. And the Copa Club is weak.
Old Jan 8, 17, 11:27 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
More than enough time. PTY is a garbage airport as far as amenities, the traffic getting in and out is awful too, the prices for food aren't good either. However...what it's great for, connections.

No customs clearance is a beautiful thing. The only caveat is when flying to the USA, you have a little bit of extra screening at the gate (Europe too?) where they make you remove your shoes, liquids, check your bag etc. But it's really nothing significant.

Matter of fact, on both directions, if on time, you can probably pop into the lounge (also nothing amazing, but better than the terminal) for a drink or a quick wifi sesh.
Old Jan 9, 17, 4:18 pm

Programs: Avianca LifeMiles. Hilton Gold, Meliá Gold, Radisson Gold. National Exec Elite, Hertz PC.
Duty Free shopping ain't good either. Despite the handful of shops at PTY, alcohol and fragrances are more expensive here than in near airports like GUA, SJO, or SAL: http://www.attenza.net/shop/licores/
Old Jan 14, 17, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
I fly through PTY frequently (always connecting), and I always stop to ask the first agent I can find to confirm my departure gate for a short (<60 minutes) connection. They don't usually change, but it's often enough to be worth verifying.

Waiting for a screen to refresh enough times to show my flight is the only thing that could potentially cause me to miss a 45 minute connection. The only reasons to go to the club are the tiny, but usually clean, restroom and a good internet connection for checking something critical, such as email. I can do that with an hour and 15 minutes with ease.
Old Jan 15, 17, 4:14 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by KenInEscazu View Post
the tiny, but usually clean, restroom and a good internet connection for checking something critical, such as email. I can do that with an hour and 15 minutes with ease.
You couldn't be more right! I go to the club often for a clean bathroom, cuz previous to getting status I flew through once and had to use an absolutely abysmal bathroom in the terminal.

I generally grab a drink or three as well as the email check. I've got a lengthy layover coming up (in the realm of like 4.5 hours, got a better price and I don't value my time that much haha) so I'll hunker down in the "business centre" where I usually do, watch a movie or something and be very close in proximity to the bar

Search this Thread