any rumblings re: Copa and TSA PRE?

Old Dec 6, 15, 5:51 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

any rumblings re: Copa and TSA PRE?

I don't have a clue what it costs for a carrier to get involved with the TSA PRE program, but with Copa flying to more and more U.S. destinations and with frequent flyers increasingly seeing TSA PRE as a need rather than a want, it seems like TSA PRE might help Copa attract business. Has anyone heard anything on this topic? Thanks.
Old Dec 6, 15, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CM nada
A high frequency flyer coworker was told by a Copa exec that they were planning on joining. That was about a year ago.
Old Dec 6, 15, 6:59 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks; that would be great.

I'm guessing Copa, at least sometimes, flies out of international terminals that don't have a TSA PRE line, but I have to believe a lot of Copa pax could benefit anyway, whether at terminals that do have PRE or by entering a different terminal via PRE and connecting to the right terminal airside.

Like a lot of things, PRE went from a cool bonus to something I now dread not having.
Old Dec 7, 15, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by jsk1973 View Post
a lot of Copa pax could benefit anyway
Especially since Panamanians can participate in Global Entry in the USA. My family and I are all Global Entry and Pre-Check.

The south immigration station in PTY has had some Global Entry kiosks installed and sitting there for at least 6 months. I'm wondering if they'll ever activate them, especially since they seem to remodel the immigration & baggage area every year or so.
Old Dec 7, 15, 5:31 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

There are GE kiosks at PTY? A story on FT's main page right now says ICE wants to expand the ability to pre-clear people abroad; maybe this is part of that effort.

That said, I've never had to wait for a GE kiosk upon landing, so this would seem almost like overkill.
Old Dec 7, 15, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by jsk1973 View Post
There are GE kiosks at PTY?
To clarify, the kiosks are in the immigration area for entering Panama, not pre-clearing into the USA.
Old Dec 7, 15, 6:50 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

That seems even more odd.
Old May 26, 17, 5:28 am

finally, TSA Pre-check

Copa Airlines joined the TSA Pre✓ program to offer trusted passengers expedited security screening when traveling from U.S. airports including Puerto Rico.
Old May 26, 17, 11:42 am

As soon as I saw that Copa was now in TSA Pre, I contacted them (via online chat) and added my Known Traveler number to the reservation for my upcoming flight. It went very smoothly.
Old Jun 18, 17, 5:40 am

Programs: CM Presidential, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
It seems though that you have to do this for every reservation? I wonder when Copa will get their Connectmiles website updated to allow for including this number in the member profile?
Old Jun 29, 17, 7:39 am

Programs: DL GLD; AA GLD; CO GLD
Do folks with precheck actually get some indication of TSA Pre on your boarding pass? Copa is telling me that since they just joined Precheck, my eligibility will not be indicated on my boarding pass, but that I will be able to use it.

The problem, of course, is the folks at the front of US airport security lines that sort precheck passengers from non-precheck passengers. I just don't see them grasping this kind of nuance.

Has anyone had this experience where you have precheck with Copa but its not shown on your BP?
Old Jun 29, 17, 11:48 am

I will use it in August with Copa and will report back.

But logic (arguably not always among COPA's strengths) would tell you that TSA pre will be clearly indicated on the boarding pass so it is easily readable by the lane checkers......
Old Aug 12, 17, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by AAEXP View Post
I will use it in August with Copa and will report back.

But logic (arguably not always among COPA's strengths) would tell you that TSA pre will be clearly indicated on the boarding pass so it is easily readable by the lane checkers......
I just did a LAX-PTY-CNF and they had my TSA PRE number in the PNR and it appeared clearly on the printed boarding pass in LAX. They also said it was in the locator for my trip to MIA at the end of the month. So it seems to be working, albeit you have to call them to put the number in manually, since there is still to my knowledge no way to do this on-line.
Old Aug 31, 17, 12:19 pm

I did see any email in the last week saying copa now had set up their webpage to allow passengers to enter the passid# themselves onlline.
Old Sep 17, 17, 6:54 am

They now let you insert the number in your Connectmiles account profile and also when you check in online. I has worked fine for me the last couple of flights.

Search this Thread