Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Copa RPUs on United

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2016, 11:18 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
LAX-IAD showed R2 at booking. I was able to upgrade both itins with CM RPU's via a call to CM. Super easy. Next time I will try online.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Plat
Redepositing the RPU

Just FYI. When you cancel a United itinerary upgraded with a Copa RPU, the PRU is automatically supposed to go back into your account. However, it does not. Even when I call Copa, they need to send it to what they are calling their Operations Department. If you want to reuse your RPU on another flight immediately, it seems that the Ops department needs to still redeposit your certificate first before you can use it again. This, obviously, presents a problem as R space can be gone by the time you need to use it. They can "expedite your case" to resolve it within 24-48 hours. After concluding the call, I was told that I will receive an email confirmation within 24-48 hours and was given a case number.
Old May 25, 2016, 1:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I was just able to upgrade a UA itinerary online with GPUs.

It didn't work when I tried to do it as a roundtrip. I had to enter each segment separately.
Old May 25, 2016, 6:43 am

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
I was just able to upgrade a UA itinerary online with GPUs.

It didn't work when I tried to do it as a roundtrip. I had to enter each segment separately.
Good to know. Just to be clear, did you have to apply per "segment" or per "direction?" Big difference depending on how many segments are involved.
Old May 25, 2016, 8:44 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by KenInEscazu
Good to know. Just to be clear, did you have to apply per "segment" or per "direction?" Big difference depending on how many segments are involved.
I don't know. It was a simple two-segment RT itinerary. When I tried to upgrade both segments at once, it wouldn't let me apply the instruments.

Gotta say I was skeptical about this but it worked like a charm.
Old May 28, 2016, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
As far as I know, a Copa certificate can only be applied to a single segment, even when flying in the same direction. I had to use two Copa certificates to upgrade SFO-DEN-DCA, and I had to apply one certificate per flight number.

I'd be interested to see if you could upgrade multiple segments on one Copa certificate if the segments had the same flight number.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 10:28 pm

Programs: UA G, *G, Global Entry, Marriott, Hilton, Fairmont, Hyatt, Starwood etc
It is a great idea, but it doesn't seem to be working at least for me using the form under "Request an upgrade".

I thought perhaps it was because the flight is a CM codeshare, but when I entered the initial flight that is pure UA the same thing happened....little ring goes round and round and eventually the same screen shows up again, no error message, no apparent effect at all.

Also, it only allows me to use my Connect Miles account. Since the flight isn't booked under that one but under UA, it may not be able to make the connection.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 10:34 pm

Programs: UA G, *G, Global Entry, Marriott, Hilton, Fairmont, Hyatt, Starwood etc
Also, very curious that it wants to know the number of miles you have and wants your CM number twice, but nowhere does it ask for the certificate #.

I also tried using a just booked CM itinerary, same result.

Sigh, guess it's time to call and escalate.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 10:38 pm

How to "Apply Upgrades" (certificates)

Check out the ConnectMiles site page on the Upgrade Certificates rules page. If qualified, you may apply them on the My Upgrades>Apply Upgrades page. You will need to be logged in to see the latter.
Under My Upgrades there is no "Apply Upgrades" option, just "Request an Upgrade" which doesn't mention any certificate# and "Upgrade certificates" which only lists them and doesn't give a clue as to how to use them.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Are the Copa upgrades expiration dates travel by or redeem by?
Old Sep 3, 2016, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
Originally Posted by channa
Are the Copa upgrades expiration dates travel by or redeem by?
AFAIK, it is "Travel by".
Old Oct 6, 2016, 5:48 pm

Is it possible to use COPA RPU to waitlist UA flight ?

Is one COPA RPU good for two segments, oneway ??
Old Oct 6, 2016, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by easyguy
Is it possible to use COPA RPU to waitlist UA flight ?
No.

Originally Posted by easyguy
Is one COPA RPU good for two segments, oneway ??
One segment.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 7:38 am

Programs: UA
Error Message

I've tried the Copa website trying to upgrade numerous United Flights since the site appeared. All I have ever gotten is the red X: "Error when processing your request. An error occurred when processing your request. Please try again later."

Is this Copa's way of telling me the fare class doesn't qualify or R space isn't available? I want to rule out some technical error.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by YadiMolina
I've tried the Copa website trying to upgrade numerous United Flights since the site appeared. All I have ever gotten is the red X: "Error when processing your request. An error occurred when processing your request. Please try again later."

Is this Copa's way of telling me the fare class doesn't qualify or R space isn't available? I want to rule out some technical error.
Copa website worked for me the first time I upgraded using GPUs about six months ago, then they "upgraded" the website and it did not work when I tried again in October. I had to call. The phone agents told me the website does not work. It took me two calls btw to find an agent who was able to do apply the instruments . . . first one couldn't find my UA reservation, then told me it wasn't eligible. Second agent was awesome, and took care of the upgrade very efficiently.

IIRC, you do need a W or higher to use the CM RPU on a UA flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.