Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Copa | ConnectMiles
Reload this Page >

COPA flight cancellation - which rights do I have?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2015, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lufthansa SEN, Bonvoy LT TE, SIXT Diamond, AVIS President, HERTZ President

I've booked two flex C tickets with COPA Air via their website:
- Dec. 9th, 2015; MBJ - PTY
- Dec. 12th, 2015; PTY - IQT (arrival 2:01 pm)

Now COPA has cancelled the flight from PTY - IQT on Dec. 12th. They offered us an alternative flight PTY - LIM - IQT, arrival 11:20 pm!!!

Since we do have a booking at a lodge in the Amazon we have to arrive not later than 3 pm - otherwise we'll lose the first night (US$ 800!).

I asked COPA for flights on Dec. 11th (arrival 11:20 pm), but the only offered PTY - LIM in C and LIM - IQT in Y. I've checked and found out that there're flights with available seats on both, PTY - LIM and LIM - IQT (Avianca) in C.

Also I asked COPA if they could send us a day earlier from MBJ to PTY a day earlier since I need 2 full days in Panama. But COPA doesn't fly this route on Dec. 8th.

Until now I don't have any answer from COPA. Therefore I would like to know what are my rights?

Thanks!!!
Old Oct 7, 2015, 8:51 am

You do have a right to a refund if you would like to fly on a different carrier.

Kind of risky betting $800 that your flight won't be even an hour late!

It looks like LANperu flies LIM-IQT on the 11th from 0540-0735. Maybe just ask for them to fly you to LIM the day before and then fly to IQT on a separate ticket?

That's probably the only way that gets you to IQT on the 11th before 3pm.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lufthansa SEN, Bonvoy LT TE, SIXT Diamond, AVIS President, HERTZ President
Sorry, maybe I've expressed it wrong. I need to be there before 3 pm on Dec. 12. Therefore I've offered COPA to fly us on Dec. 11, arriving 11:20 pm.

They agree, but they're not willing to put us on Business Class even available - because it's another company. So even booked and paid with COPA in C to IQT they only want to give us Y tickets (LIM to IQT).

I thought when they cancel a flight they have to bring us to our destination in the booked class, no matter which airline.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 6:50 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
No, absolutely not. They are only obligated to get you to your destination.

You do have the right to a full refund. So I would consider that option, and then just book the Y tickets yourself. Hopefully you still save money via this route.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 9:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ChristianKiev
I thought when they cancel a flight they have to bring us to our destination in the booked class, no matter which airline.
They do not. They can just give you your money back.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Just got the news from COPA, they're bringing us to IQT via LIM, all the way in C. Also - because we have to leave Panama a day earlier, they changed our flight from MBJ to PTY, even they're not flying this date. Now we're flying from MBJ via MIA to PTY, also in C.

Great customer service at COPA!!!
Old Oct 11, 2015, 6:31 am

You do know, I hope, that you'll need a US visa/ESTA (depending on your citizenship) to fly through MIA...
Old Oct 11, 2015, 9:56 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by ChristianKiev
Just got the news from COPA, they're bringing us to IQT via LIM, all the way in C. Also - because we have to leave Panama a day earlier, they changed our flight from MBJ to PTY, even they're not flying this date. Now we're flying from MBJ via MIA to PTY, also in C.

Great customer service at COPA!!!
I believe your story, but I don't believe that customer service is good at Copa
Old Jan 20, 2020, 12:38 am
DIM

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Copa canceled a flight - need an advice

Need advice, please. Flying with Copa in business from FLL to BOG through PTY and back.
Just realized that Copa canceled my flight back on that day. Contacted the call-center - they agree to rebook me a day later but refused to change the date of the flight TO Bogota also even despite they have a flight. And I don't want to stay one more day and it seems logic to me that if it is an airline’s fault, they might change both the dates and let me fly there one day later too.

Are they oblige to do it? Do I have a right to insist?
Old Jan 20, 2020, 7:39 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by DIM
Need advice, please. Flying with Copa in business from FLL to BOG through PTY and back.
Just realized that Copa canceled my flight back on that day. Contacted the call-center - they agree to rebook me a day later but refused to change the date of the flight TO Bogota also even despite they have a flight. And I don't want to stay one more day and it seems logic to me that if it is an airline’s fault, they might change both the dates and let me fly there one day later too.

Are they oblige to do it? Do I have a right to insist?
IMO HUCA

Explain that you are only going for a 1 day meeting and want to return on the next day - or whatever scenario it is (presuming that all this is on the one ticket btw)

Also, check the prices of buying the exact ticket you want, new. If its the same price, then just have them cancel & refund the current one and book the new one

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.