Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Copa | ConnectMiles
Reload this Page >

Copa Airlines [please help me set my expectations]

Old Oct 2, 15, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Looking at going to Peru and Copa from BOS is by far the cheapest. What is Copa like, in terms of safety, on board experience, and IRROPS support? I've never flown them.
Old Oct 2, 15, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by gfunkdave View Post
Looking at going to Peru and Copa from BOS is by far the cheapest. What is Copa like, in terms of safety, on board experience, and IRROPS support? I've never flown them.
I flew them a few weeks back. They basically have two types of aircraft. Older 737s with drop down video screens and newer ones with PTV and USB charging etc.

The planes all seem really clean on the inside and outside. Exit rows can be had for free if you phone them. Free food, free booze including liquor, free guava juice. Friendly cabin crew. I really can't comment on safety since I'm not qualified to answer that but I didn't see anything that alarmed me. I will say that my 6 flights were all very punctual and transfers at PTY are a breeze. I have no experience with IRROPS.
Old Oct 2, 15, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA PP, CM Platinum
I fly a minimum of 4 Copa flights every month and have been doing so for almost two years. While not always super friendly, the service onboard is very efficient and the food decent to good depending on the flight's duration. IFE on the newer planes has a good selection but if you get booked on a 737 with an older layout it'll be drop-down screens with maybe one movie or TV show. Transfers in PTY are a breeze with no security or immigration hassle. Boarding can be a mess in PTY with everyone cramming the gate but that's more cultural than Copa's fault. The rare times I've had delays Copa rebooked me instantly and I got to my destination only a couple of hours late. Safety never seems to be a concern as Copa maintains the same standards it had when it was part of Continental. If it's much cheaper I'd highly recommend!
Old Oct 2, 15, 7:58 pm

Took five Copa flights last June, all in C. I can only confirm what the previous FTers wrote: no real problem, no delays. I'd certainly fly them again.
Old Oct 4, 15, 10:59 pm

As other have said, solid product. If you manage your expectations considering all your flying will be in single-aisle aircrafts (737s, 738s), you shouldn't be disappointed.

Very punctual and connecting in PTY is just like you would connect inside the US with all the airline flyings out of the same terminal.
Old Oct 7, 15, 4:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH, EK, QR
I'm taking my first trip with Copa next week, BOG-PTY-CUN return in economy, though we have placed a bid for the business class upgrade on the return. Looking forward to trying a new airline. If its anything to write about I may do my first trip report about the journey.
Old Oct 14, 15, 7:59 pm

I flew MSY-PTY and PTY-GUA, and then back the same way a few weeks ago. I got friendly (though not overly attentive) service, and I enjoyed getting fed food I wanted to eat in Y, even on the 2.5 hour PTY-GUA segments.

One thing that I hadn't thought about until it happened was that customs and immigration at MSY was a breeze, because there was no one else in line except those on our plane. In June, I flew GUA-MIA-MSY and experienced the disaster that is MIA international baggage claim and customs, and I definitely don't want to do that again if I can help it. As a MSY-based flyer, I'll definitely be taking more trips on Copa.
Old Oct 28, 15, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

As an update, we're leaving on Copa BOS-PTY-LIM tomorrow. Bid successfully ($220 each) for upgrade to biz on the BOS-PTY segment. Yay!
Old Oct 29, 15, 9:17 am

Programs: AAdvantage, United MileagePlus, TrueBlue, Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan (starting 2016)
Originally Posted by gfunkdave View Post
As an update, we're leaving on Copa BOS-PTY-LIM tomorrow. Bid successfully ($220 each) for upgrade to biz on the BOS-PTY segment. Yay!
Hopefully you are on a newer 738 instead of 737. They've been using the larger plane more often lately on the route.

Search this Thread