Community
Wiki Posts
Search

23h 1m layover @ PTY Checked Bags

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2023, 10:08 am
Original Poster

23h 1m layover @ PTY Checked Bags

I will have a 23h 1m layover at PTY, if I checked a bag at my departure city will I need to pick it up at PTY or can I through check it to my final destination?
I read https://help.copaair.com/hc/en-us/ar...my-bags-early- which notes OVER 24 hours, but also makes reference to overnight.

Last edited by ClimbGuy; Jun 28, 2023 at 2:33 pm Reason: correct layover time from 24h 1m to 23h 1m
Old Jun 28, 2023, 10:09 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
24 hours usually includes an overnight stay. You will be collecting your bag at PTY
Old Jun 28, 2023, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
24 hours usually includes an overnight stay. You will be collecting your bag at PTY
to confirm you do not expect I will be allowed to check my bag all the way to my final destination even if I want to?
Old Jun 28, 2023, 11:31 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador , CM Presidential, Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by ClimbGuy
to confirm you do not expect I will be allowed to check my bag all the way to my final destination even if I want to?
In your departure airport only check the luggage to PTY, so you need collect and check in at PTY in the second day.
this applied to your second flight departure in the next day.
Old Jun 28, 2023, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sermasri
In your departure airport only check the luggage to PTY, so you need collect and check in at PTY in the second day.
this applied to your second flight departure in the next day.
I guess I should clarify, I want to through check the bag, in other words I don't want to have to lug the bag around Panama when I only need the contents when I get to my final destination. Will Copa allow me to check a bag to my final destination when I have a layover of 23h 1m?

Last edited by ClimbGuy; Jun 28, 2023 at 11:38 am Reason: correct length of time for layover
Old Jun 28, 2023, 2:03 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Everyone understands what you are asking, although your timings in the OP are different to that if your thread title
Old Jun 28, 2023, 2:19 pm

Programs: AY+ Platsku, CM Silver, Frontier Elite 100K, Marriott Gold and LT Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador.
Originally Posted by ClimbGuy
I will have a 24h 1m layover at PTY, if I checked a bag at my departure city will I need to pick it up at PTY or can I through check it to my final destination?
I read https://help.copaair.com/hc/en-us/ar...my-bags-early- which notes OVER 24 hours, but also makes reference to overnight.
Formally every connection above 12h in PTY requires immigration and customs clearance (you have to pick your bag), I've personally received exceptions (13h and almost 15h once) for some employees, where the staff in CCS called and sent emails to PTY to notify/approve.

I'm quite sure you won't be able to through check your bag for that layover, but no doubt that link you posted seems confusing (they're pretty consistent in the area of confusing us, so doesn't really surprise me) so you better call to confirm.

There's a luggage storage service in Terminal 1 (not sure if there's also one on T2, as you will have to pick your bag there, but it's quite easy to move between terminals with the courtesy bus), never used their service so i'm not sure of the rates.

Last edited by Venezuela-Miami; Jun 28, 2023 at 2:24 pm
Old Jun 28, 2023, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
Everyone understands what you are asking, although your timings in the OP are different to that if your thread title
thanks for pointing that out, I had a typo which obviously would impact the answer to my question, I just fixed my original post
Old Jul 3, 2023, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

For reference at MIA I was told the maximum layover time is 12 hours if you want to through check your bags
pmarrsouth likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 10:52 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
Same situation. Arrive PTY 4pm depart next day 3PM

I pick up checked bags and clear customs.

Can I checck bags for next days flight 23 hours out?

THANKS
Old Jan 17, 2024, 9:52 am

Programs: MSC Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, RCCL Platinum, IHG Platinum Elite
I have a 5:24 arrival and a 1530 departure. I guess I can check my bags through at origin?
Old Jan 17, 2024, 10:18 am

Programs: AY+ Platsku, CM Silver, Frontier Elite 100K, Marriott Gold and LT Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador.
Originally Posted by Harmoncove
I have a 5:24 arrival and a 1530 departure. I guess I can check my bags through at origin?
Yes, you can.
Harmoncove likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 8:10 am
PJ3

Programs: Mileage Plus
I have a 8 hours layover at PTY coming from Aruba to IAD. Can I leave the airport for a couple hours to get some local food or scenic views?
Old Mar 22, 2024, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by PJ3
I have a 8 hours layover at PTY coming from Aruba to IAD. Can I leave the airport for a couple hours to get some local food or scenic views?
You definitely can.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 1:16 pm
PJ3

Programs: Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by Venezuela-Miami
You definitely can.
Thank you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.