FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Copa | ConnectMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/copa-connectmiles-751/)
-   -   Copa Air: IAD-PTY-GRU $100 Fuel Furcharge, IAD-PTY-SCL $560 Fuel Surcharge (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/copa-connectmiles/1474034-copa-air-iad-pty-gru-100-fuel-furcharge-iad-pty-scl-560-fuel-surcharge.html)

jcalifornia Jun 7, 2013 7:00 pm

Copa Air: IAD-PTY-GRU $100 Fuel Furcharge, IAD-PTY-SCL $560 Fuel Surcharge

I checked the fares for the exact same week in late August and IAD-PTY-GRU only charges a $100 fuel surcharge. But for IAD-PTY-SCL they are charging a $560 fuel surcharge and the flight is shorter.

Is gas more in Chile or are they just charging a higher price while keeping the base price down?

DarrenChannel Jun 7, 2013 9:55 pm

Don't think there's any issue of fuel being more expensive in Chile, because I'm seeing similar extreme fuel surcharges for Copa flights from MEX -- GRU is $520 extra for us, while SCL and EZE are both $620!

Copa -- who I used to fly regularly -- has become a real disappointment for me this year, because their fares from MEX have skyrocketed to uncompetitive levels.

Just as an example, I'm looking to return to Chile in Sept. My options: LAN $671 RT, Aeromexico $647, Avianca $740, or Copa ... $1,008!

Too bad, because I enjoyed the service I used to get with Copa.

I_Can_Fly_US_Airways Jun 7, 2013 11:46 pm

Ya...

I used to LOVE flying Copa (2 more trips upcoming on them, Aug & Nov). But, starting next year, it's bye bye Copa* )-:

*I'll be going from being a *A guy to a 1W Homie (-;

neuromancer Jun 8, 2013 3:56 pm

Just remember that the so called "fuel surcharge" does not have anything to do with the price of fuel.

JohanSlam Jun 8, 2013 5:36 pm

If I remember well YQ is highly regulated or not allowed in Brazil

GRUflyer Jun 8, 2013 6:04 pm

YQ is not allowed in Brazil. Hence the difference....

c2h Jun 19, 2013 2:01 am

I've also noticed that CM flights ex MEX have been dearer than before. I'm flying AM, AV, LA more nowadays. I loved Panama as a transit. Oh well..

DarrenChannel Jun 19, 2013 11:01 am

All the flying I used to do with Copa, ex-MEX (primarily PTY, BOG, SCL) has gotten prohibitively expensive this year. Despite having enjoyed flying Copa, I will unfortunately be losing my MP status after this year is done, because I can't justify their high fares.

Guess it means one-stop (AV) to get to PTY from now on. :P

Flying Machine Jun 26, 2013 11:33 am

Quick Questions. I am planning an Open Jaw on Copa in the Fall.. LAX-PTY-SCL and MVD-PTY-LAX prices about $1100. I am a UA Premier Gold. Have you had any luck getting Upgrades I am on a low Fare Basis L ( Economy Promo ). Anyway thought I would find out your thoughts. Also any way to Dump the Y/Q its twice the fare? Thanks and Safe Travels

coolcoil Jun 27, 2013 10:42 am

Originally Posted by Flying Machine (Post 20993823)
Quick Questions. I am planning an Open Jaw on Copa in the Fall.. LAX-PTY-SCL and MVD-PTY-LAX prices about $1100. I am a UA Premier Gold. Have you had any luck getting Upgrades I am on a low Fare Basis L ( Economy Promo ). Anyway thought I would find out your thoughts. Also any way to Dump the Y/Q its twice the fare? Thanks and Safe Travels

You should have a pretty good shot at the upgrade, as those routes will almost certainly be served with a 737-800 which has 16 clase ejecutiva seats. That said, there can be no guarantees so far out. The biggest risk is that there is an event that takes a lot of high-level people to South America on a given day. It is rare, but sometimes I see IAD-PTY or PTY-IAD sold out in CE even if coach is wide open. I assume that a bunch of bankers are on the move that day.

I can't speak to the dumping. I've never been able to figure it out.

pinks Jul 4, 2013 3:45 pm

Chile imposes ridiculously high fees on flights. I had looked at Easter Island tickets using BA miles on LAN, and flights that went through Chile had 3x as much fees compared to flights routed through Peru. I think it was $600 vs. $200. I'm guessing that is what you are seeing; it has nothing to do with fuel.

DarrenChannel Jul 4, 2013 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by pinks (Post 21041515)
Chile imposes ridiculously high fees on flights. I had looked at Easter Island tickets using BA miles on LAN, and flights that went through Chile had 3x as much fees compared to flights routed through Peru. I think it was $600 vs. $200. I'm guessing that is what you are seeing; it has nothing to do with fuel.

Having just recently flown LAN to Santiago and Easter Island, I didn't see this. But Copa has, however, begun adding significant fuel surcharges to its tickets to Santiago (and others departing from MEX), and their price breakdown is very clear that it's being called a "fuel surcharge", not any sort of gov't fee or tax.

A MEX-SCL RT in Sept shows taxes coming out to $90, whether Copa or LAN. For MEX-SCL-IPC (LAN only), the taxes come to $121.

bilbohawaii Jul 4, 2013 11:23 pm

I booked with Copa Airlines this past spring (February) for our trip next week and did not pay fuel surcharges. :-) YES!!! Whew. I guess I am lucky.

coolcoil Jul 5, 2013 4:33 am

Originally Posted by neuromancer (Post 20888941)
Just remember that the so called "fuel surcharge" does not have anything to do with the price of fuel.

+1

Airlines use the "fuel surcharge" to be able to rapidly adjust the price of tickets without going through the hassle of officially filing fare change notices with various government agencies.

The all-in price is the price, unless you are one of those people who knows how to "dump" the fuel surcharge (I have never figured it out).

Panama Jim Jul 21, 2018 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by jcalifornia (Post 20885086)
I checked the fares for the exact same week in late August and IAD-PTY-GRU only charges a $100 fuel surcharge. But for IAD-PTY-SCL they are charging a $560 fuel surcharge and the flight is shorter.

Is gas more in Chile or are they just charging a higher price while keeping the base price down?

CM Fuel surcharges are a total rip off fly on AV!