Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Copa, PTY connection questions.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2015, 11:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by KLouis
What I wrote above happened 3 weeks ago. Yes, they will most probably check them through, only in my case, this was not so in SJO !!!
You were on separate tickets. That's a different and much more complicated process. All the CM agents I've encountered have ultimately been able to interline across separate tickets, but it has never been easy and I'm not surprised that they were unable to do it on your itinerary.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by KLouis
1. 50 min should be plenty. Both are in the same terminal and there is no additional security check. Even if the gates were far from each other, it should not be more than 10 minutes walk.

2. Well, this is difficult to answer. I recently flew SJO-PTY-CUN and a week later CUN-PTY-MEX. In both cases I was on different tickets and had OLCI behind me for both legs. In the second case they checked the luggage through and transfer was a breeze. In the first case, though, the agent at SJO could not do it, so I had to "enter" Panama (i.e. regular immigration and customs check), check my luggage and proceed. Everything was fast and smooth, but it nevertheless added about 30 min to the transfer (I had plenty of time). With 50 min available that would turn your transfer into a race against time. Unfortunately, you'll depend on the competence of the CI agent at St Martin, unless everything is on one ticket in which case they'll check your luggage for both legs and... go to answer #1
I will add that at times baggage hitting the belt at PTY can take unusual and long periods of time, both UA and CM. 40 minutes after parking at gate isn't nearly unusual enough. As the above poster notes, if you don't get your baggage checked through, you are extremely likely to miss the connection. Additionally, getting an answer from copa cust. serv. in Panama is likely to have no certain correlation to what your check-in experience will be.

What I would do, with the problem OP describes, is get someone who speaks spanish to call up the copa operation people in the airport/country where luggage check-in will be, explain the issue (need interline baggage check to make connection), get them to agree they can do this no problem, and GET A NAME of who you spoke with. Better yet, call back again within a week or so of trip, get the same answer again and make sure you are speaking to someone who will be on shift when you check in.

This may sound excessive but Panama business practices can surprise americans and it is best to be prepared and have the issue surrounded pre-emptively, in a very friendly fashion.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by Woofdog123
This may sound excessive but Panama business practices can surprise americans and it is best to be prepared and have the issue surrounded pre-emptively, in a very friendly fashion.

+1 Immigration and customs cab be very quick or can get back up. A high percentage of flyers just change planes at pty (Copas business model) and never use customs. If a higher amount have pty as a final destination then it can be slow. If a few non Copa planes land right before yours plan to expect the worst in waiting in line.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 7:48 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
What I would do, with the problem OP describes, is get someone who speaks spanish to call up the copa operation people in the airport/country where luggage check-in will be, explain the issue (need interline baggage check to make connection), get them to agree they can do this no problem, and GET A NAME of who you spoke with. Better yet, call back again within a week or so of trip, get the same answer again and make sure you are speaking to someone who will be on shift when you check in.
That's really not necessary. On a single ticket, the bags will be checked through.

The only reason a problem might arise is if OP is on separate tickets and the check-in agent doesn't know how to interline. I've interlined with CM numerous times and they are always willing to do it, though they sometimes struggle with the process required to actually get it accomplished in their system.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
It's not enough time to leave the airport. Don't even think about it. You need a minimum of five or six hours to visit the Canal. It's literally on the far side of Panama City from the airport. The traffic can be horrific.
Horrible is a serious understatement at this point. Traffic on the diablo-side of Albrook is mind-numbingly bad now (due to traffic eventually towards both bridges). Folks who haven't seen traffic on this scale don't believe my recent 3-hour adventure (inside albrook to diablo roundabout/bridge,= 30min don't like roundabout stall so decide to go north towards cardenas and loop back, spend 80 minutes *** accomplishing this via illegal turn (first possible), and another 40 getting past the main roundabout near admin bldg, where traffic backs up into balboa to get to bridge.

Seriously, it is shockingly bad. throw in bio needs and you are in serious trouble. perfectly reasonable to assume 2-3 hours total to get to airport (pty) from canal zone, and that is not worst case.

That's really not necessary. On a single ticket, the bags will be checked through.

The only reason a problem might arise is if OP is on separate tickets and the check-in agent doesn't know how to interline. I've interlined with CM numerous times and they are always willing to do it, though they sometimes struggle with the process required to actually get it accomplished in their system.
somewhere up thread was a story from one poster about copa saying they could not (i.e. did not know how or system was 'broken') interline, not even sure if the original questioner was on one ticket or not now. Over many years in Panama, when something ends up with a question mark and a bad outcome can seriously interfere with my day, I have learned to try to get on top of things pre-emptively, cooperatively, with names of people who said it could be done this way etc.

Last edited by Woofdog123; Jul 16, 2015 at 10:02 am
Old Jul 16, 2015, 7:08 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, SAS Eurobonus Silver, Connect Miles Gold, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Disc.
Horrible is a serious understatement at this point. Traffic on the diablo-side of Albrook is mind-numbingly bad now (due to traffic eventually towards both bridges). Folks who haven't seen traffic on this scale don't believe my recent 3-hour adventure (inside albrook to diablo roundabout/bridge,= 30min don't like roundabout stall so decide to go north towards cardenas and loop back, spend 80 minutes *** accomplishing this via illegal turn (first possible), and another 40 getting past the main roundabout near admin bldg, where traffic backs up into balboa to get to bridge.

Seriously, it is shockingly bad. throw in bio needs and you are in serious trouble. perfectly reasonable to assume 2-3 hours total to get to airport (pty) from canal zone, and that is not worst case.
More than the actual amout of traffic (which is bad enough in the first place), what has really struck me after moving to Panama City is the insane driving there. My Goodness.

Totally off topic, I know. Apologies.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 10:45 pm

...somewhere up thread was a story from one poster about copa saying they could not (i.e. did not know how or system was 'broken') interline, not even sure if the original questioner was on one ticket or not now. Over many years in Panama, when something ends up with a question mark and a bad outcome can seriously interfere with my day, I have learned to try to get on top of things pre-emptively, cooperatively, with names of people who said it could be done this way etc.
It was Copa, but the check-in desk where "they couldn't do it" was at SJO. I must say that other than that (actually a very minor problem) I had absolutely zero negative experiences during three weeks in Panama, Costa Rica and a bit of Mexico. And traffic-wise, well I have a very solid training from driving in Athens and, especially, Naples.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 11:33 pm

Panama City has some of the worst traffic I've ever seen. People just don't realize what it means to go from PTY to the Canal during rush hour.

somewhere up thread was a story from one poster about copa saying they could not (i.e. did not know how or system was 'broken') interline, not even sure if the original questioner was on one ticket or not now.
That report was on separate tickets. On the same ticket, it is a completely routine exercise to check bags through.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 10:55 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, AA, Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt, Starwood Gold
We have an 8 hour PTY layover on Copa (business) in November. Could we hire a guide and see anything in Panama City?
We have cruised through the canal, don't need to try that.
Or should we just stay at PTY? Business class lounge comments?
Old Sep 11, 2015, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by chuckroby
We have an 8 hour PTY layover on Copa (business) in November. Could we hire a guide and see anything in Panama City?
We have cruised through the canal, don't need to try that.
Or should we just stay at PTY? Business class lounge comments?
Eight hours is sufficient to go to Casco Viejo. Which I would recommend. Anything over two hours in the Copa Club is too long. Just be sure to leave plenty of time to get back to the airport.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA
Eight hours is sufficient to go to Casco Viejo. Which I would recommend. Anything over two hours in the Copa Club is too long. Just be sure to leave plenty of time to get back to the airport.
Ditto that. Check the dates, a lot of holidays in Nov for Panama, which means less traffic and more time out of the airport.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
At PTY, there is an additional security check at the gate for all US bound flights.

50 minutes is ordinarily ample time at PTY, the only thing that might worry me here is how long it will take you to get off the aircraft, since you will presumably have to wait for everyone else to offload for them to bring the wheelchair on. If there's a later UA flight that works for you (and there may not be), you might see about changing. UA should change the ticket for free if you explain the wheelchair issue.

Copa will check them through. You will then clear US immigration and customs at IAH, which means collecting and rechecking your bags.
I have connected through PTY often and detest the secondary security check at the gate meaning you can't take on any water for US-bound flights. Does anyone know if there is secondary security at the gate for European-bound flights? Im flying PTY-CDG and would like to take a bottle of water on board with me. Thanks!
Old Jan 21, 2016, 11:16 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, SAS Eurobonus Silver, Connect Miles Gold, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Disc.
Yes, they do secondary checks for EU bound flights as well. At least that was the case a month ago when I flew with AF.
Old May 28, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by coolcoil
+1 on the duty free. I have yet to find any bargains (though I am not much of a shopper).

Here is a general warning about buying duty free liquids (i.e. booze) at your originating airport and the transferring through PTY on US-bound flights. (Ex: MDE-PTY-IAD and buying duty free at MDE):

With the US-required extra security at the gate, you cannot bring liquids on board. If you buy liquids at your originating airport, you won't be allowed to bring them on with you at PTY unless you somehow have access to your checked luggage. You can buy duty-free at PTY, because they will give you the liquids on the jetway, just like in the USA.

This would apply to any airport that has secondary screening at the gate, not just PTY.
Does this apply to non-US flights? Am flying in from CUN on to Brazil, and was just wondering if there are any security screenings at PTY where liquids get confiscated.

On a separate note, my connection is 85 mins: enough time to visit the Copa Club?
Old May 28, 2017, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by RafKa
Does this apply to non-US flights?

On a separate note, my connection is 85 mins: enough time to visit the Copa Club?
Liquids screenings occur only for flights to the US and Europe.

85 minutes is plenty of time to visit the Copa Club. Look for other posts here on how early Copa begins boarding though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.