Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Will Reciprocity Bring Fee-Waived SDC on UA?

Old Sep 14, 2010, 1:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold;DL GM

Title says it all. Since we now have the upgrades and E+ on request at the airport, will we be treated to the other elite benefits? If not starting Sept 13, then what about October when the full reciprocity is rumored to kick in?

Star Gold has not been allowed to have no-charge same day changes or standby on UA up to this point.

Anyone with information?

I have been reluctant to call UA Res as they are so behind on changes in policy at the non-elite line which is the only access that I have.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 6:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.591 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I'm pretty sure that only 1K folks get free SDC at UA and they consider that level above CO PLT so it could be said that the reciprocity exists today and CO PLTs just aren't good enough.

October 1 is hardly "full reciprocity" IMO. There is a long way to go for that.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 6:50 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G
Anecdotal, but I had a free SDC (23h out) on UA (into an exit row) last week. The guy said something about "the system" doing it because I was (onepass) gold.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by chiph
Anecdotal, but I had a free SDC (23h out) on UA (into an exit row) last week. The guy said something about "the system" doing it because I was (onepass) gold.

Very interesting, especially since UA's SDC is not nearly as generous as CO's. UA allows SDC within three hours of the desired flight (vs. CO's 24 hours), and UA does not allow route changes (vs. CO which allows route changes).

SDC is one of the few areas were CO does a better job than UA.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 7:43 am
Original Poster

It seems like last year on UA, there was no charge for standby on the same day, now it is not so. Same for AA within the last 12 months. As for SDC, I have not flown UA enough to know. I would just like same day standby for no fee. The 3 hour SDC, like Delta would also be welcome.

Granted the CO SDC has been truly an excellent tool.

Again anyone CO *Gold care to comment with UA same day change experience? or same day standby without fee?
Old Sep 14, 2010, 8:08 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G
Originally Posted by channa
Very interesting, especially since UA's SDC is not nearly as generous as CO's. UA allows SDC within three hours of the desired flight (vs. CO's 24 hours), and UA does not allow route changes (vs. CO which allows route changes).

Interesting...my free SDC included a routing change and, like I said, was about 23 hours out.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 11:21 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Let me add to the anedote. Got into ORD early and was able to get to an earlier UA flight going to CLE. I asked the GA to put me on the standby list and he said it would cost $50 which I was willing to pay. However, when he did the deed, I was placed on the SB list without a charge. So it appears to happen more often than once.

As an aside, I did not get on the flight. There was one seat left on the Kenjet and 3 connecting passengers from DEL who were making this connection in ORD for the trip to CLE. They were obviously IDB passengers but the GA treated them as if it was their fault that they didn't have seats on this overbooked flight. They were offered one seat for the 3, the other 2 were left behind to catch a flight the next day . They were not given cash compensation but were given vouchers and accomodations. I would like to point this out just to show that CO isn't the only airline to play games with naive passengers.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Would you mind giving a few more details. Was this on the phone? Was it at the origin or connecting airport? Was there any sort of IRROP involved, or schedule change on the part of UA? Lastly, do you also have a UA elite level of any sort?

Last edited by ljderm; Sep 14, 2010 at 11:36 am Reason: typo
Old Sep 14, 2010, 2:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold

In addition to meals, service, comfort, performance, professionalism of employees, cleanliness of aircraft, quality of logo and livery, free liquor in lounges, and caliber of passengers.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:32 am
Original Poster

I am bumpin my inquiry, since the merger is complete on paper. Has any CO Plat had any fee waived standby or same day change happen?

I saw a non elite customer miss his flight by a few minutes this am on UA. No flat tire rule, so he was made to pay $50 for standby on the next available flight. That was painful to watch, and exactly what I have experienced up to this point. Thus I am waiting for it to change.

Anyone with news?
Old Oct 4, 2010, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM
Originally Posted by ljderm
I am bumpin my inquiry, since the merger is complete on paper. Has any CO Plat had any fee waived standby or same day change happen?

I saw a non elite customer miss his flight by a few minutes this am on UA. No flat tire rule, so he was made to pay $50 for standby on the next available flight. That was painful to watch, and exactly what I have experienced up to this point. Thus I am waiting for it to change.

Anyone with news?
I was not charged out of Seattle in September, however last night in Chicago they would not waive the $50 fee.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 3:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: CO Plat, SPG Gold

SDC is one of the MANY areas where CO does a better job than UA. The others including service, food, operations, and of course, professionalism.

To the OP: I think you would be wise to recall the story of the HP/US merger and the DL/NW merger. Lowest Common Denominator. It is a race to the bottom, whichever program is least beneficial will likely prevail.

I'm betting UA's restricted version of SDC is what the combined carrier adopts.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Ambassador/Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by ljderm
Title says it all. Since we now have the upgrades and E+ on request at the airport, will we be treated to the other elite benefits? If not starting Sept 13, then what about October when the full reciprocity is rumored to kick in?

Star Gold has not been allowed to have no-charge same day changes or standby on UA up to this point.

Anyone with information?

I have been reluctant to call UA Res as they are so behind on changes in policy at the non-elite line which is the only access that I have.
I was just booking a trip for business today and saw this in the fare rules. I know it only applies for SDC on Continental and not United, but I thought it was interesting to share nonetheless (And maybe hoping the CO policy is adopted for the new 'United').

2. CONFIRM A SEAT ON AN ALTERNATE
FLIGHT FOR A FEE OF
A. PRES PLT ELITE - 0.00 USD
B. PLATINUM ELITE - 0.00 USD
C. 1K - 0.00 USD
D. GOLD ELITE - 25.00 USD
E. PREMIER EXECUTIVE - 25.00 USD
F. SILVER ELITE - 50.00 USD
G. PREMIER - 50.00 USD
H. NON-ELITE - 50.00 USD
I. PREMIER ASSOCIATE - 50.00 USD
ON FLIGHTS DEPARTING WITHIN 24 HOURS OF
CHECK-IN WHEN -
A. THE SAME TICKETED INVENTORY CLASS IS
AVAILABLE.
B. TRAVEL IS BETWEEN THE SAME ORIGIN CITY AND
DESTINATION CITY.
C. NEW FLIGHTS AND ROUTING ARE PERMITTED PER
THE FARE RULE.
D. ALL TRAVEL IS ON-
CO FLIGHTS 1-889
CO FLIGHTS 1000-1299
CO FLIGHTS 1400-1899
CO FLIGHTS 2000-3169
CO FLIGHTS 3200-3499
CO FLIGHTS 4900-4949
CO FLIGHTS 5500-5999
CO FLIGHTS 9105-9119
CO FLIGHTS 9120-9310
CO FLIGHTS 9356-9400
CO FLIGHTS 9491-9595
E. NOTE - FOR FARES TICKETED ON OR
BETWEEN 17JUN08 AND 31AUG09 FEE
APPLIES TO FLIGHTS WITHIN 12 HOURS
OF CHECK-IN. FOR FARES TICKETED
PRIOR TO 01OCT09 PLATINUM FEE IS 25.00
Old Oct 4, 2010, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by Cuse44
I was just booking a trip for business today and saw this in the fare rules. I know it only applies for SDC on Continental and not United, but I thought it was interesting to share nonetheless (And maybe hoping the CO policy is adopted for the new 'United').

2. CONFIRM A SEAT ON AN ALTERNATE
FLIGHT FOR A FEE OF
A. PRES PLT ELITE - 0.00 USD
B. PLATINUM ELITE - 0.00 USD
C. 1K - 0.00 USD
D. GOLD ELITE - 25.00 USD
E. PREMIER EXECUTIVE - 25.00 USD
F. SILVER ELITE - 50.00 USD
G. PREMIER - 50.00 USD
H. NON-ELITE - 50.00 USD
I. PREMIER ASSOCIATE - 50.00 USD
ON FLIGHTS DEPARTING WITHIN 24 HOURS OF
CHECK-IN WHEN -
A. THE SAME TICKETED INVENTORY CLASS IS
AVAILABLE.
B. TRAVEL IS BETWEEN THE SAME ORIGIN CITY AND
DESTINATION CITY.
C. NEW FLIGHTS AND ROUTING ARE PERMITTED PER
THE FARE RULE.
D. ALL TRAVEL IS ON-
CO FLIGHTS 1-889
CO FLIGHTS 1000-1299
CO FLIGHTS 1400-1899
CO FLIGHTS 2000-3169
CO FLIGHTS 3200-3499
CO FLIGHTS 4900-4949
CO FLIGHTS 5500-5999
CO FLIGHTS 9105-9119
CO FLIGHTS 9120-9310
CO FLIGHTS 9356-9400
CO FLIGHTS 9491-9595
E. NOTE - FOR FARES TICKETED ON OR
BETWEEN 17JUN08 AND 31AUG09 FEE
APPLIES TO FLIGHTS WITHIN 12 HOURS
OF CHECK-IN. FOR FARES TICKETED
PRIOR TO 01OCT09 PLATINUM FEE IS 25.00
I hope this isn't "another benefit" for UA Elites where CO Elites don't reciprocate as well...Like the Upgrades, UA Elites got them SEP 13, CO Elites got them OCT 1.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K / CO PLT
Originally Posted by gawhite411
In addition to meals, service, comfort, performance, professionalism of employees, cleanliness of aircraft, quality of logo and livery, free liquor in lounges, and caliber of passengers.
hmm let's see.

Meals - Yes, I agree that CO is MUCH better.
Service - Really? My experience was that CO has some pretty medicore FAs too. and I was in paid F.
Comfort - JFK-LAX/SFO and SFO/LAX-ORD/IAD have a few international business/first class lie flats. JFK-LAX/SFO are always guaranteed. SFO/LAX-EWR on CO are not. I will admit that for EWR-HNL CO wins by miles though.
performance - not sure.
professionalism - refer to service.
cleanliness - yeah UA was pretty bad but got much better recently.
quality of logo - yes in the US. in other parts of the world, not. Guess why Smisek chose the name 'United'.
free liquor - yeah I give you on this one.
caliber of passengers - you're joking right? SFO-LAX/JFK have presidents of universities and corporations and movie stars (:P) flying in an internationally configured relax-guaranteed seats. Well, I guess LAX-EWR on CO offers that, sporadically. Am sure CO has lots of presidents and movie stars flying them too. So probably wash?

The op said 'one of the few' and I understand you were upset. They're both great airlines. I just hate someone bashing my favorite airline.

Last edited by saaws; Oct 4, 2010 at 7:46 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.