Best seat on 777 biz with new BF layout?

Old Jul 24, 2010, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Best seat on 777 biz with new BF layout?

Hi, my first posting on the continental section.

I'm a bit early on preplanning my seat assignment, since we're only flying in february next year, BRU-EWR-BRU on a CO 777. First time we're flying out in business on continental, so I would like to hear your opinions on what seatings we should book ourselfs (2 pax).

The second little cabin seems attractive to me, or either row 2 or 3.

Your thoughts and experiences please!
Old Jul 24, 2010, 1:30 pm

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Originally Posted by fly_ebos

I'm a bit early on preplanning my seat assignment, since we're only flying in february next year, BRU-EWR-BRU on a CO 777. First time we're flying out in business on continental, so I would like to hear your opinions on what seatings we should book ourselfs (2 pax).

Welcome to the CO forum.
At this point in time, there is no way to predict if your February flight will be on the new flat beds or not.
you can find that info 2 days before your flight at:
http://pda.continental.com

That said, several people like various seating arrangements on CO BF.
I personally like the middle aisle....since I can get in / out of my seat as I please.

If you are a couple that may not matter.

I like the front cabin better.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 1:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by snod08
At this point in time, there is no way to predict if your February flight will be on the new flat beds or not.
The entire 772 fleet is scheduled to be completed by the end of this year. I'd say the chances of having flat seats in 2011 is very close to 100%.

The bulkhead seats have a larger cut-out for your feet.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 3:13 pm

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
The entire 772 fleet is scheduled to be completed by the end of this year. I'd say the chances of having flat seats in 2011 is very close to 100%.

The bulkhead seats have a larger cut-out for your feet.
thats great news!
Old Jul 24, 2010, 11:09 pm

Programs: United 1K; United (Continental) Million Miler; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fly_ebos

Once they get all the 777's upgraded, (and there's a schedule, plane by plane, on the CO website), you should be able to see info on which seats are the best by checking on seatguru.com.

Agree that the front cabin is better (quieter), as is the middle aisle. If you're on a side aisle with the bed completely flat, and the person at the window needs to get out, not sure if that's even possible!

BTW, I was disappointed to see that there's a leather headrest on the back of the seat that remains in place when the seat is flat. So there's no option to lie completely flat on your stomach without a pillow (my preferred way). Otherwise, they are quite comfortable.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 11:24 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus (PLATINUM); Qatar Privilege Club (PLATINUM)
Which seats on the 772ER

If you are together, without a doubt: Row 1 left or right. You do need some acrobatics if you're in the window seat to get out. Enjoy.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 1:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OnePassenger
If you are together, without a doubt: Row 1 left or right. You do need some acrobatics if you're in the window seat to get out. Enjoy.
Thanks for the tips guys!
Old Jul 25, 2010, 11:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.7mm
Originally Posted by OnePassenger
On the new flatbed config, row 1 left and mid are next to lav, not the best seat on the flatbed config.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 5:45 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
11 A and B

Hi, flew the flatbed seat aircraft LHR - EWR about a month ago, and chose the last row in BizFirst, on the left side of the aircraft, out of the way. The advantage of these seats is that there is no one behind you to grab your seatback as they get up. This is a factor for me if I am going to snooze, especially given the size and lack of agility of some of the PAX in BF.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by spainflyer
Hi, flew the flatbed seat aircraft LHR - EWR about a month ago, and chose the last row in BizFirst, on the left side of the aircraft, out of the way. The advantage of these seats is that there is no one behind you to grab your seatback as they get up. This is a factor for me if I am going to snooze, especially given the size and lack of agility of some of the PAX in BF.
I thought the new plastic shell mitigated this issue? I havent gotten lucky enough to fly with the new BF seats yet, hoping for them in two weeks on my IAH-FRA flight.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 10:50 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
I would go with 8DE. This has the cutout in the bulkhead so there's more leg room, you both have aisle access, and unlike 1DE, there is no bathroom right to the left of you.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 5:58 pm

Programs: CO
So, will be flying EWR-FRA tomorrow in BF and can pick 4K +4L for my dad and I or 2A + 2B. Looks to me like if I do row 4 I get the bathroom behind me and if I pick 2 I get it in front. Seems like picking 2 might be the better option as maybe it will get used less given there are two bathrooms in the rear in the front cabin and the one upfront. Assuming given the layout that row 2s would get less action. thoughts?
Old Jul 27, 2010, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nikbruno
So, will be flying EWR-FRA tomorrow in BF and can pick 4K +4L for my dad and I or 2A + 2B. Looks to me like if I do row 4 I get the bathroom behind me and if I pick 2 I get it in front. Seems like picking 2 might be the better option as maybe it will get used less given there are two bathrooms in the rear in the front cabin and the one upfront. Assuming given the layout that row 2s would get less action. thoughts?
Please let us know what your experience was and what you recommend!
Old Jul 28, 2010, 10:12 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by nikbruno
4K + 4L are actually not that bad. My partner and I recently flew them on the way back from HKG, and were initially paranoid about being close to the restroom and galley. There's actually a pretty large crew closet between those seats and the restroom, and I was never once bothered by anyone trying to access the restroom or the closet. You can't really hear the toilet flushing from these seats either, which is sometimes the case in other seats.

As an aside, the bathroom behind 4 K+L is actually the largest on the plane. It's nearly twice the size of a normal lav, so if you're looking for a good changing room, this is your best bet.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 4:07 pm

Programs: United 1k, BA Gold, LX Senator, Flying Blue Plat, IHG Plat. Ambassador, Marriott Gold, Starwood Gold
I've flown the news seats about 5 times this past month and have tried several seats. My personal preference is on the left side of the plane (AB D) as it's more convenient to the new forward lav. Also the first row seats do have a much wider cutout for the feet. (This includes 2 AB)

On a day flight I personally enjoyed 1D as the lav blocks the window so you don't have to worry about glare on your TV monitor coming from a row where someone doesn't like to close the window shade. I also rarely saw anyone queuing up for the bathroom so that wasn't a big issue and I like the convenience of being close to a bathroom. Be warned, however, that is 1E is empty people may try and climb over you to use the bathroom, I noticed it a few times!

I also tried 1B and it was a good seat with the cutout. Rows 3-5 are pretty much standard seats. I had 4D and it was nice and average.

For evening flights I would try and avoid rows 1 and 2 and anything on the AB/D side of the plane as CO doesn't have a curtain on that side of the plane and that light in the galley stays on all night.

The one downside about the front rows, and this applies to all configurations, is that CO doesn't seem to let BF passengers off first so by the time Row 1 funnels out (assuming the front door isn't used), you're a bit behind several other passengers on the way to immigration. Not a huge issue though.

I have no comments about rows 8-11 because I always try for the forward cabin.

In general I love the new seats, the TVs are great, the IPod connector works well, they are pleanty wide, several areas for storage, the adjustable arm rest is helpful when you want to side out to use the bathroom during food service, and the seats are incredibly comfortable and adjustable. Compared to the next generation Delta and United seats they are the best of the bunch.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.