Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge access in LHR or FRA and upgrade ?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2010, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Lounge access in LHR or FRA and upgrade ?

Hi:

I have researched the forum and couldn't find the exact answer to these questions. Sorry in advance if the info is out there and i did not pull it up.

1. Flying from MCI to Munich. Coach with Presidents Club membership. I am interested in using a club on arrival in Europe before getting to Munich. Is this possible using LHR or FRA as a gateway airport and then flying on to Munich. In other words, can a PC member flying coach get access to a club in either of these airports (would like to have shower if possible) -- which airport would be better (cost of flight is about the same through both).

2. I have a chance to use miles and $500 to upgrade to business class on the flight back to MCI. I have never done this before and so simply put is it worth the miles and $ to do this?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old Apr 23, 2010, 9:45 am

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Originally Posted by kckreardon
Hi:

I have researched the forum and couldn't find the exact answer to these questions. Sorry in advance if the info is out there and i did not pull it up.

1. Flying from MCI to Munich. Coach with Presidents Club membership. I am interested in using a club on arrival in Europe before getting to Munich. Is this possible using LHR or FRA as a gateway airport and then flying on to Munich. In other words, can a PC member flying coach get access to a club in either of these airports (would like to have shower if possible) -- which airport would be better (cost of flight is about the same through both).

2. I have a chance to use miles and $500 to upgrade to business class on the flight back to MCI. I have never done this before and so simply put is it worth the miles and $ to do this?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
1. There are lounges you can use as a Pres Club member. The names and amenities of lounges are here:
http://www.continental.com/web/en-US...affiliate.aspx

2. Whether you want to spend the 500$ plus miles is your choice.
I usually buy higher fares (such as B-fares) and use miles only to upgrade. Sometimes (not always) buying higher fares is cheaper than paying the copay with the cheapest economy ticket.

CO business first service is really nice! and you can sleep on the overnight to Europe.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 8:32 am
Original Poster

thanks

Thanks for the advice!
Old Jun 25, 2010, 1:01 pm

LHR Lounge Access

Didn't really want to start a new thread, but wondering about Lounge access also at LHR. I am flying BF back to the states but my wife and 2 kids (3 and 1 1/2) are flying cattle. Well probably give the seat to the wife but that is how the tickets are ticketed. Anyway wondering what lounge if any can we use. And if I don't get to bring in the whole fam, could I use PC vouchers or pay for the kids. Also no longer have any status.

Thanks in advance
Old Jun 25, 2010, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton Diamond
There is a Star Alliance lounge in T1 which is not bad. According to the rules, only the ticketed international business class passenger gets access. No guests.

http://www.staralliance.com/en/benef...access-policy/
Old Jun 25, 2010, 1:48 pm

That is what I was thinking, but where does Buisnessfirst fall under, realizing probably Business class, just wondering if it might/could fall under the First class rules. Also would PC passes be accepted there or only at PCs. And can you buy passes to the Lounge.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 4:22 pm

CO BusinessFirst is business class. I highly doubt that they would accept PC passes. Don't know if you can buy a day pass.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 5:38 pm

Thanks for the update, yeah I figured as much but there was part of me that was hoping that they would let you in with your fam if they are on the same flight and all. Oh well might give it a go anyways if we get to the airport too early. never had the split class before we are either all in Business or all in cattle.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 5:35 am

Programs: CO Gold
If you flying CO from LHR it's from T4, so you can use the SkyTeam lounge. IME it's quieter than the *A lounge in T1 and has a few nice features (day-bed cubicles, showers) but it's broadly the same as the *A lounge. Food is decent too.

Far better than, for example, the PC at EWR.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 8:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by lhrpitlhr
If you flying CO from LHR it's from T4, so you can use the SkyTeam lounge. IME it's quieter than the *A lounge in T1 and has a few nice features (day-bed cubicles, showers) but it's broadly the same as the *A lounge. Food is decent too.

Far better than, for example, the PC at EWR.
To clarify - if you're flying CO from LHR you don't get a choice, you will not have access to the *A lounge as it's in T1 on the other side of the airport. You cannot access that terminal when flying CO.

Your only option would be the Skyteam lounge.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 1:17 pm

Sorry, my mistake. I was through LHR a few weeks ago, but forgot that I was on a CO codeshare actually operated by UA.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by smg77
CO BusinessFirst is business class. I highly doubt that they would accept PC passes. Don't know if you can buy a day pass.
I don't think you can buy day passes to LH lounges, except for Senators or HON members, who can buy companion passes I think. I know they don't sell memberships.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 5:22 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
your PC membership may help

Paid Lounge Membership Customers: Eligible Paid Lounge Membership Customers have access to any Star Alliance member carriers' owned Business Class lounges.
Eligible Paid Lounge Membership Customers include United Airlines Red Carpet Club, US Airways Club, Air Canada Maple Leaf Club – Worldwide and Continental Airlines Presidents Club.
Customer must present a valid eligible paid lounge membership card
Customer must also present a boarding card for a same day Star Alliance flight departing from the local airport.
Customer is entitled to one guest

Contract Lounges
Star Alliance Gold customers have access to third party Contract Lounges contracted by the Star Alliance member carrier on which the customer is travelling.
Customer must present a valid frequent flyer programme Star Alliance Gold level card
Customer must also present a boarding card for a same day Star Alliance flight departing from that local airport having contract with the third party lounge
Customer is entitled to one guest. Guest must be departing on the same day and same carrier
Paid Lounge members are not entitled to use any contract lounges

http://www.prioritypass.com/
Airport: London - Heathrow (LHR), Terminal 4
Lounge: 4DECK LOUNGE
Opening Hours: 05:30 - 22:00 daily.
Conditions: Maximum 3 hour stay - Children under 2 years are admitted free - Children under 18 years must be accompanied by an adult - Non-smoking.
Lounge Facilities:
key?

www.loungepass.com
LHR Terminal 4 (if this is the old BA lounge, I went through it in 2007 and well worth it - Had a spa then)
Lounge Details
Lounge Visit Date*
Flight Number*
Arrival Time at Lounge*
Check opening times
No. of Passengers
If booking more than 9 passengers or a group booking, please call UK +44 (20) 8253 5146
Adults
(17+)
£18.50 per person
Children
(2-16)
£12.00 per person
Infants
(0-1)
£0.00
Important - Please note that all lounges reserve the right to refuse entry 30 minutes before the lounge closing time
Maximum 3 hour stay • Ticketed passengers only • Children under 18 years must be accompanied by an adult • Non-smoking

Lastly just get an Amex Plat card for your wife.
Usually, she can get in with it, you can get in with your BF ticket, 2 kids get in with her.

Last edited by ffI; Jun 26, 2010 at 5:32 pm Reason: added info
Old Jun 26, 2010, 5:57 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CJ1120
I don't think you can buy day passes to LH lounges, except for Senators or HON members, who can buy companion passes I think. I know they don't sell memberships.
Just for the record there is no longer any LH lounge at LHR. The only *A lounges in T1 are the Star Alliance lounge, bmi international (Great British) lounge and bmi domestic lounge (The London Room).

There are no companion passes for sale, though *G (not just SEN/HON) can of course invite a guest into their lounge. In addition HONs can gift a SEN card to his/her spouse or partner.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Just for the record there is no longer any LH lounge at LHR. The only *A lounges in T1 are the Star Alliance lounge, bmi international (Great British) lounge and bmi domestic lounge (The London Room).

There are no companion passes for sale, though *G (not just SEN/HON) can of course invite a guest into their lounge. In addition HONs can gift a SEN card to his/her spouse or partner.
Understood, but the OP had also asked about FRA and MUC.

Regarding companion passes, there is an announcement about LH elites (apparently including FTLs) being able to buy LH passes now but rather expensive.

http://www.miles-and-more.com/online...en&cid=1000390

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.