Programs: CO Platinum
Plat booking reward travel for non-elite

Got my wife and daughter reward tickets
EWR-LIM 1037
12-24-09
LIM-EWR 1038
01-02-10
70,000 mile per ticket for Y.

I'm trying to get her sister on the same flights using her sister's OP non-elite account. The search will not show 1037 or 1038 rather first class seats @ 70,000 each through MIA and PTY.

Tried once on the elite line, explained the situation and they told me they couldn't do it because she's non-elite. Too expensive to transfer her miles into my account.

Any experience with this? Should I keep trying elite desk?
Old Sep 8, 09, 5:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Russell745 View Post
Should I keep trying elite desk?
Trying what? To get them to conjure up inventory that doesn't exist?

Increased reward inventory is a benefit of being an elite, not of knowing an elite.
Old Sep 8, 09, 5:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum
alrighty then
Old Sep 8, 09, 6:48 am

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Originally Posted by Russell745 View Post
Got my wife and daughter reward tickets
EWR-LIM 1037
12-24-09
LIM-EWR 1038
01-02-10
70,000 mile per ticket for Y.

I'm trying to get her sister on the same flights using her sister's OP non-elite account. The search will not show 1037 or 1038 rather first class seats @ 70,000 each through MIA and PTY.

Tried once on the elite line, explained the situation and they told me they couldn't do it because she's non-elite. Too expensive to transfer her miles into my account.

Any experience with this? Should I keep trying elite desk?
It never hurts to try a different agent. If inventory is available for an elite, they "might" make it available to a non-elite when reqquested by an elite and in conjunction with the fact that your wife and daughter is already booked on a flight. I would say you ascertain first that elite inventory is in fact available, and then throw yourself on the mercy of the court.
Old Sep 8, 09, 8:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by hughw View Post
It never hurts to try a different agent. If inventory is available for an elite, they "might" make it available to a non-elite when reqquested by an elite and in conjunction with the fact that your wife and daughter is already booked on a flight. I would say you ascertain first that elite inventory is in fact available, and then throw yourself on the mercy of the court.
Agreed - but keep in mind that the tone of the conversation is crucial to having this work (or not). If you enter into that discussion with a tone indicating that you have a right to that extra seat, then you basically have zero chance. The rules are very clear where they state that additional reward availability is given to elite OP members.
Old Sep 8, 09, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by star_world View Post
Agreed - but keep in mind that the tone of the conversation is crucial to having this work (or not). If you enter into that discussion with a tone indicating that you have a right to that extra seat, then you basically have zero chance. The rules are very clear where they state that additional reward availability is given to elite OP members.
Another possibility is to cancel the reward tickets from your account. This opens up two more seats that hopefully a non-elite can snag. Get the sister's seat first, and then go in and book seats from your account.
Old Sep 8, 09, 10:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by aacharya View Post
Another possibility is to cancel the reward tickets from your account. This opens up two more seats that hopefully a non-elite can snag. Get the sister's seat first, and then go in and book seats from your account.
This is very risky - you could end up with no seats then. Canceling the reward tickets does not automatically put them back into the reward bucket. You have an extremely high chance of nothing being released at all.

Even it it were released by the way - there's a good chance that it would go into the elite-only bucket and you'd be in the same predicament
Old Sep 8, 09, 11:34 am

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Exactly. That's what I meant by saying throw yourself on the mercy of the court. Explain to the agent that you knoq that you DO NOT have a right to the seat, but since your wife and sister are already booked and you are a loyal plat, that you were hoping that they would make an exception and do you a great favor, blah, blah. It never hurts to say "I have a problem." Then lay out the situation. Then say "I really hope that you can help me and figure out a way to do this."
Old Sep 8, 09, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
This is very risky - you could end up with no seats then. Canceling the reward tickets does not automatically put them back into the reward bucket. You have an extremely high chance of nothing being released at all.

Even it it were released by the way - there's a good chance that it would go into the elite-only bucket and you'd be in the same predicament
Then I would combine your advice and mine. Call the Elite desk, reference the current reservations, and ask what can be done. Maybe they can manipulate the seats as such, and 'convert' one of the reservations.
Old Sep 8, 09, 11:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by aacharya View Post
Then I would combine your advice and mine. Call the Elite desk, reference the current reservations, and ask what can be done. Maybe they can manipulate the seats as such, and 'convert' one of the reservations.
Agreed - this is the only approach that has a chance.

Search this Thread