Change Planes in Frankfurt

Old Sep 4, 09, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Change Planes in Frankfurt

I'm going to be flying Lufthansa from Rome to Frankfort, then CO from Frankfurt to IAH. Is 1 hour and 20 minutes enough time to change planes there? I would assume that I don't have to clear customs, or anything. I would be in business class on Lufthansa, so presumably I could get off the plane pretty quickly.

I have the option of an earlier flight FCO-FRA, but it's pretty early in the morning, and it would have me in FRA for 4-5 hours.

If 1:20 is cutting it too close, I'll play it safe, but if I shouldn't have any problem with the 1:20, I'd prefer that.

Thanks, all.
Old Sep 4, 09, 11:59 am
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
In the Home of Star Alliance (Frankfurt), 1:20 is plenty for the connection. As the Star cooperation gets underway, connections of 60 minutes or less at FRA/ZRH/etc. will become the norm.

I've been joking with a few people that my recent weight loss/fitness kick is in preparation for the upcoming tight connections with the switch to Star...
Old Sep 4, 09, 12:03 pm

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
It really depends on when the flight is, meaning once Continental has changed operation to Terminal 1 in Frankfurt or not.

If they did by then, I would not worry about it. Make sure, the agent checks your bags through.

If by then, they haven't changed the Terminal of operation FRA, I'd take an earlier flight.

FRA is unfortunately not an easy airport, MUC and ZRH are the nicer LH/LX hubs.
Old Sep 4, 09, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Provided you don't have to change terminals, you should be fine with a 1:20 connection. However, if you aren't familiar with the airport and have a delayed arrival you might find yourself with a significantly elevated heart rate.

Frankfurt is not one of the easiest airports to navigate. I've been through there countless times and still happen upon passport controls or security checkpoints when I don't expect them (and vice versa).
Old Sep 4, 09, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
An hour and twenty minutes can--and has--been done, but please note that it is tight. We had exactly that amount of time last month. Going from A to C with a 4 year-old, and one short potty break it took us 35 minutes to walk to our gate.

My advice to you is to go directly to your gate. We were on LH connecting to UA, and security was actually after the area where the GA took our BP's. Very misleading.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: