Just Check Your Bags at the Counter

Old Aug 27, 09, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier Platinum; Marriott Gold; Starwood Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond; Hertz Pres Circle
Just Check Your Bags at the Counter

I understand that non-elites have to pay for their checked baggage, but, I was on CO800 today and the flight could have pushed back way ahead of schedule if so many people hadn't brought humongous suitcases on board that didn't fit in the overhead bins. The agent had to collect money from passengers on the plane and this seems to be happening more and more often. It's not that there wasn't enough space---the bags were just too large. Has anyone else seen this? CO really needs to step it up to avoid flights being delayed due to agents collecting money, tagging bags and putting them under the plane.
Old Aug 27, 09, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
I've never seen agents collecting money on the aircraft for checking bags that would not fit. Regarding the huge bags on the flight, nothing surprises me about those jetway-healing flights to FLL.
Old Aug 27, 09, 8:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by goldelite8 View Post
The agent had to collect money from passengers on the plane and this seems to be happening more and more often. It's not that there wasn't enough space
Wow - are you 100% certain about this? I see bags being checked due to full overheads on CO all the time, but not once have I seen the fee being charged. I've even heard announcements encouraging people desperately trying to find a space to bring them up to the front as there is no charge.

There is a bit of chasing that goes on sometimes when the pax has to retrieve the tag receipt after it's been put on the bag but that's the only thing I've noticed that adds to the delay in this case.

Worrying development if this is going to be the process going forwards...
Old Aug 27, 09, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Premier Platinum; Marriott Gold; Starwood Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond; Hertz Pres Circle
Yes, they were taking money, I am positive. It makes sense that money was being collected because there was not space availability issue...it was a SIZE issue.
Old Aug 27, 09, 8:30 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
If there really was money collection at the gate, I'd say it's probably due to the size of the bags, not due to lack of space. If they're too big to fit, they should definitely be charged. If it's due to lack of space, I think it should be fee-free because why should an early boarder get it free when someone coming in on a delayed connection get charged... at least that's my theory.
Old Aug 27, 09, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA-1K w/MM & lifetime U-Club; Marriott-Lifetime Plat-Premier; SPG-Plat; IHG-Plat; National-Exec. Eli
Paging sfogate....have you collected revenue for large bags at the gate before??
Old Aug 27, 09, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by Steve GadFly View Post
Paging sfogate....have you collected revenue for large bags at the gate before??
Once upon a time we did for those going to Central America. We started getting too many oversized/over weight bags down at the boarding door.

We have not charged for bags, at the boarding door, since we started with the baggage fees. The TSA at our check point is very good about sending people back to the counter when they have more than two bags. When the bins are full, we check bags free of charge and we will also make announcements, prior to boarding, offering to check bags before you board.
Old Aug 27, 09, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by sfogate View Post
The TSA at our check point is very good about sending people back to the counter when they have more than two bags.
It's not the TSA -- This is done by power-hungry drones supplied by SFO.
Old Aug 27, 09, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by xyzzy View Post
It's not the TSA -- This is done by power-hungry drones supplied by SFO.
I stand corrected. That is done by Prime Flight, the same people that push the wheelchairs in Terminal 1.

Search this Thread