How to Maximise Mileage?

Old Aug 26, 09, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus IK, IHG Platinum
How to Maximise Mileage?

When searching for flights I at times find that the lowest priced flight takes me via other airports instead of a direct route. This leads to exptra EQM

I regularly travel MAN to PTY and am always routed via Newark. I wonder if anyone can suggests routes via any cities that will give me a good deal $ to Miles. I am prepared to travel anywhere as long as I start and finish in England and hit PTY for 2 nights and I can extend the trip for 14 days maximum. Also I am prepared to stop at as many cities as required.

I see this as a chance to visit more places and gain extra EQM at a reasonable price.

As I already have platinum qualification this year I am looking for the flights anytime after 1st January 2010.

Hope some of you are up for the challenge
Old Aug 26, 09, 9:52 pm

Programs: DL DM, MM, NEXUS, SC Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LVC everywhere
If you just want to add more mileage to the MAN-EWR-PTY, change the routing to MAN-EWR-IAH-PTY. This is a valid routing and will add 970 EQM each way. You can also route MAN-EWR-MSY-IAH-PTY which will give you 1470 additional EQM each way. Neither of the MAN-EWR flights get you into EWR early enough to complete the trip to PTY on the same day with all of the connections. There's also MAN-EWR-MSY-IAH-MCO-PTY (another 420 EQM) and MAN-EWR-MSY-IAH-MIA-PTY another (424 EQM) which are valid routings. THere's even MAN-EWR-MSY-IAH-LAX-PTY another (3875 EQM).

Maybe someone with more knowledge can comment about what the fare rules would say about an overnight in MSY or IAH since the schedule would allow this. You might also ask the 'pros' in the MR forum about rhese specific routings and how to handle fares and overnights.
Old Aug 26, 09, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Premier
Maximum permitted mileage on MAN-PTY is 6522 - the same mileage as MAN-EWR-IAH-PTY. That'd be it for potential connections without breaking the fare.
Old Aug 27, 09, 6:27 am

Programs: DL DM, MM, NEXUS, SC Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LVC everywhere
The current schedule would require an overnight at either EWR or IAH on an MAN-EWR-IAH-PTY routing. Does this pose potential visa or US entry issues vs transit?

What about fare rules for the overnight break in travel?

It's theoretically possible to make it in one day going the other way with 2 very tight connections.

As an aside, on Tuesday we made it from CO876 (PTY-IAH) at E-3 to CO310 (IAH-EWR) at C-41 in just under 30 minutes. We walked, no carts, with rollerboards. We arrived at C-41 just before they started boarding F. That was only possible due to a quick exit from F seats, Global Entry, and no line to re-clear TSA.
Old Aug 27, 09, 7:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SuperG1955 View Post
The current schedule would require an overnight at either EWR or IAH on an MAN-EWR-IAH-PTY routing. Does this pose potential visa or US entry issues vs transit?
Nope, you're still in transit as far as immigration is concerned.

And fare rules on international flights permit 23:59 layovers without breaking the rules. With the MPM routing (hardly a surprise that they restrict it that way) one is pretty limited in going crazy on the trip.

CO is very strict on their routing rules. They are, generally speaking, the hardest US-based carrier to put together a MR on. It is possible when they make a mistake (which isn't often) or when they match WN in some transcon markets, but otherwise they make it very difficult.
Old Aug 27, 09, 9:31 am
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Your best bet for bumping up EQMs is to wait for the Star codeshares and partnerships to kick in, giving you some more routing options. Going MAN-BD/LH-FRA-LH/CO-IAH-CO-PTY would yield roughly 7,500 EQMs each way, and that should be allowed within the routing rules once they are revised to reflect CO's new alliance setup.

The best "reasonable" routing I can come up with MAN-FRA-MCO-IAH-PTY at just under 7900 EQMs.
Old Aug 27, 09, 10:23 am

Programs: CO Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Nope, you're still in transit as far as immigration is concerned.
Actually the answer is no

But the reason is that as far as immigration is concerned, you've been admitted, what you do after you walk through customs they don't really care as you have been admitted into the US for a certain amount of time (6 months normally)

The US doesn't have a 'transit only' option, you are either admitted or sent back to where you came from

miles are miles btw but there is no way I am paying a 100+ dollars for hotel+food for 1k miles (unless the fare comes up cheaper....which it could very well be.......sometimes I am offered a 4 leg trip from SJO to EWR going through TUL or places like that)

Last edited by wolfie_cr; Aug 27, 09 at 10:28 am
Old Aug 27, 09, 10:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by wolfie_cr View Post
Actually the answer is no

But the reason is that as far as immigration is concerned, you've been admitted, what you do after you walk through customs they don't really care as you have been admitted into the US for a certain amount of time (6 months normally)
Agreed. I was thinking just that you could still list yourself as "in transit" for the address on the forms.

Search this Thread