Confused on earning EQMs

Old Aug 22, 09, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold
Confused on earning EQMs

I'm confused about earning EQMs. I thought that OnePass changed the rules this year so that one earns EQMs for actual miles flown. However, using the mileage calculator on the website, it tells me that flying EWR-IAD, on a discount economy ticket with no elite status and ticket purchased on the website, I will earn 250 miles each way plus another 250 bonus EQMs for purchasing on the website for a total of 1000 EQMs.

Longer version: My job assignment changed a couple of years ago, so I lost elite status. Because of some family stuff and a few business trips, I will have 24079 EQMs with the travel I currently have planned for the rest of the year. Thus I'm trying to find the cheapest way to earn those miles. Obviously, being able to do a short, cheap flight works well, assuming the mileage calculator is telling the truth, is a nice option.

(I would also be interested in any other suggestions on how to earn those EQMs.)

Thanks,
salex
Old Aug 22, 09, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: PWP Postmaster General, :rolleyes: Sapphire, UA 1K, WN A-List, CM PresPlat, Marriott Plat
The mileage calculator is often incorrect. Your example (a non-elite traveling under 500 miles with a discount Y ticket purchased on co.com) would yield actual miles. In this case, EWR-IAD would earn 213 EQM.

Feedback Received: 500-Mile Minimum Restored for Elite Members
Old Aug 22, 09, 11:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Ft Lurker is correct. No status = actuall miles flown.
Old Aug 23, 09, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold
Thanks. That's what I thought, but wanted to be sure.
Old Aug 24, 09, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by salex View Post
Thanks. That's what I thought, but wanted to be sure.
So you're looking for ~1000 EQMs. Start with http://www.farecompare.com/flyertalk. I'd also suggest looking into flights out of PHL or even ABE.
Old Aug 24, 09, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Do one of the weekend specials from EWR to somewhere. Or as a previous poster said start in PHL and connect in EWR. PHL in general has cheaper fairs than EWR.