Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

47 CO Pax Imprisoned Overnight on Stinky E145 @ Rochester, MN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

47 CO Pax Imprisoned Overnight on Stinky E145 @ Rochester, MN

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2009, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by Bangkok Dave
Well, it seemed to be a secret up till now. You don't list it in your profile, and I can't seem to find any post where you state you work for CO, until this one.
That's okay, it's true that I don't have it in my profile and I wouldn't expect you to go and research my posts to figure it out.

Originally Posted by xzh445
It is my understanding that CO Mainline has triggers in place, that after a certain time period (not sure if it 3 or 4 hours), Senior Executives, up to and including the COO and CEO are to be notified. While it is easy for the "keyboard CEO's" to say how it SHOULD be run, there are some things that are unknown:
1) Does that trigger include all Express/Connection flights? Is the carrier that operates that flight for mainline presently under obligation to notify mainline at a certain time period? If not last week, I suspect it will be now.
2) If that WAS in place...did it occur? We will probably never know, who was notified, or not, but it is very unlikely that Senior Management at CO was aware of this situation, and said "yeah, it's XJT's problem. Let's just ride it out and hope the press doesn't find out". If this was in place and not followed, there will probably be repurcussion, but again, this forum will likely not ever know about it.
3) Compensation - CO Mainline will probably be the party to offer compensation. That compensation will likely not make thte news if it "fair", but will be all over the place if not considered adequate. Time will tell. There were some that wanted to sue US for landing in the Hudson from something completely out of their control, so that it is likely that, no matter what the compensation, someone will be unhappy with it. So.......all of you knowers of what is "fair" .... what would "fair" compensation be?
Great points!
Originally Posted by seoulmanjr
This is a textbook case of why punitive damages exist. Punitive damages can be far in excess of the compensatory damages. The idea being that purely compensatory damages are inadequate in getting some defendants to actually redress their behavior in the future. (IANAL!) [What does I anal mean???]
They should be falling all over themselves to *handsomely* compensate these passengers, promise/release a policy that ensures it will never happen again, and get this out of the news with CO having done the right thing.
True!
Originally Posted by Sankaps
Well, then how do we explain these factoids:

1. The NWA/Delta flight taxied to the gate at 3am, after parking remotely at first

2. That both NWA/Delta and CO/XJ were in fact hoping to depart for MSP if the weather cleared, and that at 2am a weather window seemed to have opened, only to close quickly.

Both these factoids seem to suggest someone must have been at ATC at 2am and 3am?
As I think was stated, lacking a manned control tower, pilots are allowed to maneuver on their own, while letting others in the area know what their intentions are.

Originally Posted by KNRG
Side question...

If the crew times out, are they no longer serving in their official position which must be obeyed?

As in, they're no longer fit to serve their job function after X-hours and X-hours have elapsed, so they officially have no power over me? And thus disobeying the orders when there is no authority to be giving such orders makes hopping out of the plane a non-event?
That's a big caveat of crew duty limitations. One cannot be scheduled to go beyond limits but if, in actual operation they do, it's completely OK. Doesn't matter how far they go beyond, as long as they weren't dispatched to go beyond, prior to takeoff. Say a crew has been on duty since 12 noon, and they have a 16 hr limit, they time out at 4 am. It's now 12 midnight and they have 4 hrs left with a flight still to complete. I that flight is scheduled, per the flight plan, for 3 hours, they have to be airborne by 1 am. Any later and they have to go back to the gate. However, if they leave at 12:59 am and the flight ends up circling for 3 extra hrs, that's totally legal since they weren't scheduled over their legal duty time even though in actuality they far exceeded it. It's a bad rule that has been a factor in a few accidents in the past.

Continental certainly bears their fair share of responsibility here. The mayor's statement clearly says that it was under the control/direction of Continental dispatch NO, IT WAS XJ in MSP. These are Continental passengers YES, on Continental tickets YES, and under Continental operational control NO!!!!!. There is no seperate Continental ExpressJet ticketing, operational control YES THERE IS, or contract or carraige, if I'm not mistaken. To the extent that CO has a problem communicating with or directing their direct or subcontracted employees or equipment, that is their problem to resolve and the responsibility that they have YES BUT THAT'S HINDSIGHT AT THIS POINT. In short, maybe some of this was ExpressJet's fault, but that doesn't mean it isn't Continental's responsibility.AGREED

peace,
~Ben~
...So please enlighten us -- who was giving operational direction to this flight and from where? XJ!!
Originally Posted by Lehava
I have been raised to believe you have to do more than say sorry to be forgiven, you have to show you are taking steps to not repeat your actions. Had they said what you posted and ALSO said "and we are taking x...y....z steps so that in the future this doesnt happen".
Great point!

Last edited by pptp; Aug 11, 2009 at 9:43 pm
Old Aug 11, 2009, 9:34 pm

Programs: CO Platinum HHonors Diamond Avis President's Club
"IANAL" = "I am not a lawyer..."

Would respond at length, but time to say goodnight to FT. Great thread! Hope we see more info/resolution/statement soon!

G'night!

peace,
~Ben~
Old Aug 11, 2009, 9:40 pm

"IANAL" = "I am not a lawyer..."

Would respond at length, but time to say goodnight to FT. Great thread! Hope we see more info/resolution/statement soon!

G'night!

peace,
~Ben~
Thanks, should have googled it but I thought the question itself was funny.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 9:42 pm

Programs: CO Platinum HHonors Diamond Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by pptp
Thanks, should have googled it but I thought the question itself was funny.
It was. If it meant "I anal" it should be a required signature line for all FTers...

G'night! (fer real...)

peace,
~Ben~
Old Aug 11, 2009, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by traveler4ever
I agree with everything you said but I have to believe that Continental is taking this very seriously, hence the delay in speaking. I would think this is of great magnitude to the Continental team and speaking to soon could have greater consequences. Don't you think that at this point they have a team of attorney's racking their brains as to how to handle this? I would guess (at least think) they do.
I have no doubt that they are working on a response and suspect that you are correct that this is the reason for their relative silence. However, I feel like this is a bad PR move. To me it would be much more reassuring if they came out with a strong statement now, rather than later. It doesn't have to be factual, perhaps they can make a commitment to come forth with facts at a later date (define the date of course). But this looks too much like they are simply consulting their legal counsel as to how best to spin it, instead of taking a long, hard look and actually showing the customers that they get it.

This is serious enough that I think we should have heard from some upper level managers by now. I still recall an incident at WN where a girl was told to cover up. It made the news, WN was on it immediately. They managed it well, with humour and dignity. Wish we could see something like that here (no humour of course).
Old Aug 11, 2009, 10:58 pm

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Delta SkyMiles, Southwest Rapid Rewards
CorpComm

In addition to a complete revamping of how such incidents are handled in the future from an operational standpoint, and clearly enunciated commitments to build confidence in a commitment to customer service standards, I would also turf the corporate communications personnel at both ExpressJet and Continental for achieving the worst handling of a PR incident in many years. When coupled with how CO CorpComm shrugged its shoulders and passed the buck on BUF, it is clear that this department is running around like a chicken with its head cut off ever since Ned Walker departed. Bring back Bruce Hicks, call in some of the departed greats from the airline PR scene who are in semi-retirement -- Nancy Vaughan (US), Nicole Couture-Simard (AC), Honor Verrier (BA) -- and let the Houston debutantes go back to writing their thank you notes and planning their cotillions. The once-proud Bird with the Golden Tail is today's Molten Tail Express.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 11:04 pm
Suspended

What would happen if Abu Nidal terrorist had control of the plane and said they wanted to release 30 passengers? No stairs? Wait on the plane for 9 hours? No!

Releasing the passengers and letting them find a hotel themselves and asking them either to call Continental reservations at 8 am the next morning or showing up at the airport at 8 am in front of the Delta counter is not difficult. It is even easier if the pilots tell the passengers that there is nobody to handle their baggage so they can deplane without their baggage.

They could call the sheriff if they needed assistance to slam the airport door behind them.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 11:36 pm

Programs: Nothing - I'm useless!
It's been mentioned a few times about the airport not being open - but the statements from the airports/etc make it quite clear that the airport had no qualms about the passengers remaining in the sterile area.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by dunderhead
In addition to a complete revamping of how such incidents are handled in the future from an operational standpoint, and clearly enunciated commitments to build confidence in a commitment to customer service standards, I would also turf the corporate communications personnel at both ExpressJet and Continental for achieving the worst handling of a PR incident in many years. When coupled with how CO CorpComm shrugged its shoulders and passed the buck on BUF, it is clear that this department is running around like a chicken with its head cut off ever since Ned Walker departed.
I fully agree. CO looks very bad here from a PR standpoint. The longer they wait to make an official statement the more they look flatfooted. Between the mayor's statement and Lahood's statement, there is no wiggle room for them to punt blame. They need to eat crow, do it sincerely, clearly and loudly. There is really no other option.

Then, the PR group needs to do some on-going work to buff CO's reputation to "Fly Right". They have had too many incidents this year.

This is one instance where the PR group can force operations or the company as a whole to fix it's relationship with XJT.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 5:53 am

My betting is this is how it will play out.

Continental will announce (probably some time today) that it had procedures in place for dealing with this.

Continental or more likely ExpressJet will announce that those procedures weren't followed, that Continental was never told about the delay and then express "deep regret."

Continental will announce it has put procedures in place to require its related carriers to notify Continental whenever a flight is more than 3 hours delayed.

ExpressJet may also announce that certain people who were working for the airline last weekend are no longer employed.

That would be my guess.

Oh and eventually Continental will be fined
Old Aug 12, 2009, 7:20 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Originally Posted by emma dog
Because I'm not a familiar face on CO's forum, I want to start my reply to you by saying that I'm a dude and Emma is truly my Dog. When I chose handles, my preferred few were taken and my dog was looking up at me so I just said f-it, I'll try that one.

With that said, your thought process is severely flawed. If you read my reply earlier, the issue that I (and others) take is the inflammatory use of someone's gender. That information was irrelevant to the post and the unspoken message is that this happened because a woman couldn't make a decision but a man could. And your reply above also implies that a female captain made it there by means other than through the regular seniority channels. What do we know about this captain? How many hours does she have in type? How long has she been a pilot? I doubt you know and I also doubt you have any idea of how this compares to any other RJ captains for ExpressJet. ....
#1 You state it is an unspoken message. That is what is wrong with a lot of people today. They are too busy trying to find the UNSPOKEN MESSAGE. Could it be that he/she just stated the FACTS and does not really care whether the gender is male or female? I think it does not matter but it is a fact! (Let me amend this one. After catching up on my reading, it was pointed out that there was a much more inflammatory post that clearly exposed the prejudices of the poster. In this case at least it was biased. I guess I just want to believe that most people mean no harm. Clearly some time they do!)
#2 My post makes absolutely no implication. It is what it is. I know for a fact that ExpressJet hires pilots with very little hours. They also promote to captain pilots that still do not have a lot of hours. This may be because after they get 1500 plus hours they are gone to the majors where they can make more than 12 dollars an hour. Whether a captain is male or female has nothing to do with it. If you read something that is not there, I suggest self examination.
#3 Au contrare, there you go stating facts not in evidence. You don't know what information I am priviledged to.

Last edited by EasternTraveler; Aug 12, 2009 at 7:57 am Reason: Was pointed to another post by the op that changed my thoughts.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by MrAOK
My betting is this is how it will play out.

Continental will announce (probably some time today) that it had procedures in place for dealing with this.

Continental or more likely ExpressJet will announce that those procedures weren't followed, that Continental was never told about the delay and then express "deep regret."

Continental will announce it has put procedures in place to require its related carriers to notify Continental whenever a flight is more than 3 hours delayed.

ExpressJet may also announce that certain people who were working for the airline last weekend are no longer employed.

That would be my guess.

Oh and eventually Continental will be fined
Afraid you are right. And so it would continue until the next such incident.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by OPFlyer
If anyone should be fined, it should be ExpressJet, NOT Continental.
I disagree. Both should be fined and here is why:
1. Continental hired the contractor and determines the contract.
2. It is CO contract of carriage.
3. By fining CO they will put in place measures that will prevent this from happening again in the future, by mainline or regional.
4. It might make CO think before expanding their use of regionals.
5. CO can override what is going on at any time it chooses if it is their contract. If not, then they will change that contract.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by mikeef
You're right, because there's no pattern from posts like this one. Clearly, he's just pointing out that she's a woman for the fun of it:

or this one:

It must just be that I'm one of those oversensitive people that sees sexism (not to mention lousy spelling and grammar) in everything.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled program...

Mike
Oh my! That second one is defintely sexist. I don't blame you for the report. I did not see the other post in the thread. But it is clear whatagoodboy is making purely sexist and inflammatory comments. I will second your RBP.

I defended someone thinking they were just stating innocent facts. Now I find out that they did have a prejudicial bias. I am sorry for defending them.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
Oh my! That second one is defintely sexist. I don't blame you for the report. I did not see the other post in the thread. But it is clear whatagoodboy is making purely sexist and inflammatory comments. I will second your RBP.

I defended someone thinking they were just stating innocent facts. Now I find out that they did have a prejudicial bias. I am sorry for defending them.
No worries, it wasn't clear.

Mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.