Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

47 CO Pax Imprisoned Overnight on Stinky E145 @ Rochester, MN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

47 CO Pax Imprisoned Overnight on Stinky E145 @ Rochester, MN

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2009, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
There has been a lot of criticism aimed at the captain of this flight, and I think she rightfully deserves her share for the blame here.

But another aspect of this, which is not as obvious but probably played a far more determinant role was the role played by the XJ control center types somewhere in a bunker a thousand miles away.

Whatever shockingly inumane decision was made was almost certainly decided by them, not the captain, and almost certainly on the basis of not wanting to spend one cent of the company's money to take care of their customers.

At the very least I believe this merits further research.
oh it certainly does, and like I said a bit before, the APU running is burning up lots of fuel, it isn't like a honda home generator
Old Aug 11, 2009, 5:02 pm

MEDIA RELEASE from Rochester Mayor Ardell F. Brede
Date: August 11, 2009

Rochester International Airport and Continental Flight 2816

As chair of the Rochester Airport Commission I am responding to the incident that occurred early Saturday morning at our airport regarding Continental Flight 2816 that had been diverted from the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport (MSP) due to weather.
Obviously, at that point, for the safety of the passengers and crew it was a wise decision.
Following the landing, more severe weather, and a required crew change due to hours of service the situation was the responsibility of Continental Dispatch in MSP.
Our airport staff, Delta staff and the RST Main Terminal (with vending machines, seating and bathrooms) were all available for passengers on board of Flight 2816 to deplane.
I do not know the reasons Continental did not allow their plane to come to the terminal to deplane and await MSP clearance. It was not necessary to have TSA security screeners on duty as the passengers would have been able to deplane and remain on the secure side of the terminal.
I think we all know that since 9/11 there are many more restrictions for passengers.
Do I understand the need for all of them – NO! but there are rules and our airport staff followed them.
Were they concerned about the comfort and safety of the passengers on Flight 2816—you bet!
There is a reason Senator Klobuchar, and others, have introduced Federal Legislation to forbid having passengers confined in such situations for more than 3 hours (I think two would be too long).
I thank our airport staff and Delta staff (who had no direct jurisdiction) for their efforts in what certainly was a situation that should not be repeated. As an aside, on Sunday, at the opening ceremony of the Enlisted Association of the National Guard of the United States, Major General Larry Shellito, the Adjutant General, Minnesota came to me and wanted me to know that our airport staff went ―above and beyond the tour of duty‖ and ―bent over backwards‖ to accommodate several National Guard flights that were diverted to Rochester.
Fly staff, Fly Rochester! And thanks again to our airport staff. They were not at fault for doing their job.

Mayor Ardell F. Brede
Old Aug 11, 2009, 5:12 pm

Programs: Alas, the Gravy Train Hath Ended...just happy to be an OW Sapphire and a ST Ivory...whatever
Interesting statement by the mayor....curious to see what co's response will be....
Old Aug 11, 2009, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by Mayor Brede
<SNIP> I think we all know that since 9/11 there are many more restrictions for passengers. Do I understand the need for all of them – NO!
I want to buy Mayor Brede a beer.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by theblakefish
Interesting statement by the mayor....curious to see what co's response will be....
Probably none. CO can not benefit from writing a response to that.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 5:28 pm

STATEMENT BY U.S. TRANSPORTATION SECRETARY RAY LAHOOD ON CONTINENTAL EXPRESS TARMAC DELAY

I have asked the Department of Transportation’s General Counsel to look into whether Continental Airlines or its regional partner Express Jet Airlines has violated any laws in connection with the lengthy tarmac delay on their Houston-Minneapolis flight over the weekend in which passengers were stuck in a small plane for seven hours. While we don’t yet have all the facts, this incident as reported is very troubling. We are investigating the incident and will do whatever we can to make sure passengers are not subjected to such situations in the future.

Note: Continental was among airlines fined on Monday by the Transportation Department for violations of other consumer laws (related to fare advertising) http://www.dot.gov/affairs/2009/dot11809.htm
Old Aug 11, 2009, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
If anyone should be fined, it should be ExpressJet, NOT Continental.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 5:49 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by OPFlyer
If anyone should be fined, it should be ExpressJet, NOT Continental.
Totally agree with you. Was Continental even aware of the situation at the time?
Old Aug 11, 2009, 5:50 pm

This whole story is quite . I hope that all the facts get reported so that we can see just what went wrong and how not to repeat this experience/situation again.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by traveler4ever
Totally agree with you. Was Continental even aware of the situation at the time?
They knew where the plane was but it's difficult to say if they were aware of what was going on.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 6:02 pm

Programs: CO Platinum HHonors Diamond Avis President's Club
Continental certainly bears their fair share of responsibility here. The mayor's statement clearly says that it was under the control/direction of Continental dispatch in MSP. These are Continental passengers, on Continental tickets, and under Continental operational control. There is no seperate Continental ExpressJet ticketing, operational control, or contract or carraige, if I'm not mistaken. To the extent that CO has a problem communicating with or directing their direct or subcontracted employees or equipment, that is their problem to resolve and the responsibility that they have. In short, maybe some of this was ExpressJet's fault, but that doesn't mean it isn't Continental's responsibility.

peace,
~Ben~
Old Aug 11, 2009, 6:11 pm

Programs: Most....Four elite air/ Three hotel elites - UA MillionMiler - DL RWT alum
Originally Posted by MrAOK
MEDIA RELEASE from Rochester Mayor Ardell F. Brede -- Date: August 11, 2009
Rochester International Airport and Continental Flight 2816
Following the landing, more severe weather, and a required crew change due to hours of service the situation was the responsibility of Continental Dispatch in MSP. ...
Mayor Ardell F. Brede
Since when is CO Dispatch in MSP?
Is he mistaking that with NW?
CO Crew Scheduling and Dispatch would not control XJ's crew or aircraft.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by seoulmanjr
The mayor's statement clearly says that it was under the control/direction of Continental dispatch in MSP.
HAH! Yes, the mayor of Rochester, MN knows all about Continental, ExpressJet, and their operations.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 6:20 pm

Programs: CO Platinum HHonors Diamond Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by OPFlyer
HAH! Yes, the mayor of Rochester, MN knows all about Continental, ExpressJet, and their operations.
I am not pretending that the mayor of Rochester, MN knows all of that. Simply that he has clearly actually been in touch with a number of people at the airport and investigated what went on directly to some degree, which is more than anyone in this thread can claim. So please enlighten us -- who was giving operational direction to this flight and from where? We have one source who has some direct access. While it is possible that he misspoke, the only opposing viewpoint is scoffing in an Internet bulletin board. I'm hungry for correct info on this story and the mayor's statement speaks about what went down as if he has investigated and has facts. What facts countervene what he has said? Please enlighten us.

peace,
~Ben~
Old Aug 11, 2009, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by seoulmanjr
What facts countervene what he has said? Please enlighten us.

peace,
~Ben~
For starters I'm not sure CO has dispatchers in Minneapolis. In addition, this flight would have been under Expressjet's dispatchers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.