Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

47 CO Pax Imprisoned Overnight on Stinky E145 @ Rochester, MN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

47 CO Pax Imprisoned Overnight on Stinky E145 @ Rochester, MN

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2009, 11:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/4.7.1.40 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by JohnneeO
I just don't see how the TSA was a factor in all of this.
Because some idiot at XJet is trying to deflect blame.

Last edited by sbm12; Aug 10, 2009 at 11:45 am
Old Aug 10, 2009, 11:50 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold (Current Platinum), United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred
[QUOTE=N965VJ;12201665]Interesting thread over at ExpressJetPilots.com.

Post # 42 in that same thread:

"Ok now in all seriousness. In my short time as a captain (2 years) I have had a relatively easy/normal ride.
Only one aborted takeoff, no air returns, (well CK tried to create one but I stomped on his *** !)
The normal long sits at EWR and one 2 hour sit at IAH recently (After 2 hours with an UPDATE in another hour). At Houston I TOLD ops I was coming back to a gate and would they find me one please. Ops said to stay out and wait for further updates. I said you misunderstood me, "I'm coming back, please find me a gate." They capitulated after telling me expect a call from CPO. Guess what, no call ! So either they throw false threats or it did get to CPO and they backed me up. Either way, don't care, finally got to destination 4.5 hours late, but EVERY pax thanked ALL the crew for a job well done, and not having them sit out there for what would have been 3+ hours."
Old Aug 10, 2009, 11:51 am

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Delta SkyMiles, Southwest Rapid Rewards
CO Branding

Since the ticket was sold by Continental (i.e. the IATA documents expressly state "Issued by Continental Airlines"), it's a CO flight number, everything says CO...for their CorpComm people to say nothing and deflect the blame shows that their presence is completely not needed and the entire department should be canned to save money. The complete and utter drivel that is coming out of the mouth of the ExpressJet hack should be saved for a course study in how NOT to handle a public relations debacle. CO shrugged its shoulders and said "not us" after BUF...this from the airline which has screwed over its creditors, employees, and passengers more often than any other in American aviation history with its multiple bankruptcy filings. The pax need to file lawsuits against Continental and ExpressJet as jointly and severally liable, and retain a major market aviation attorney like Mike Holland to fight their case for them.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 12:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dunderhead
Since the ticket was sold by Continental (i.e. the IATA documents expressly state "Issued by Continental Airlines"), it's a CO flight number, everything says CO
Except the part that says "Operated by ExpressJet d/b/a Continental Express" on the booking screen, the ticket and everywhere else that it says Continental.

CO is certainly on the hook from a PR perspective but that does not make them legally liable.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 12:12 pm

Location: Midland, by way of Odessa, by way of El Paso, by way of Abuja, by way of Mexico City, by way of...
Programs: Aadvantage Exec Plat, AmEx Platinum, Hilton Diamond, United Club, Admiral's Club
Originally Posted by todd325
Me too, there would be no way in hell I would be getting back on that plane.
Unless your luggage was still in the hold.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by westtexas
Unless your luggage was still in the hold.
I'd still just pick it up at the airport.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 12:23 pm

[QUOTE=JohnneeO;12203271]
Originally Posted by N965VJ
Interesting thread over at ExpressJetPilots.com.

I said you misunderstood me, "I'm coming back, please find me a gate." "
Finally, a Captain with b*lls !! Now, if the rest of the world's flight crews could just grow some.....this "problem" would not exist.. Way to go!!!^
Old Aug 10, 2009, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
I can't figure out why signature aviation refused to help them(it was mentioned in the pilot forums), if it was a money issue I as a PASSENGER would put up a CC to cover it, if that was the issue.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 12:25 pm
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Originally Posted by dunderhead
Since the ticket was sold by Continental (i.e. the IATA documents expressly state "Issued by Continental Airlines"), it's a CO flight number, everything says CO...for their CorpComm people to say nothing and deflect the blame shows that their presence is completely not needed and the entire department should be canned to save money. The complete and utter drivel that is coming out of the mouth of the ExpressJet hack should be saved for a course study in how NOT to handle a public relations debacle. CO shrugged its shoulders and said "not us" after BUF...this from the airline which has screwed over its creditors, employees, and passengers more often than any other in American aviation history with its multiple bankruptcy filings. The pax need to file lawsuits against Continental and ExpressJet as jointly and severally liable, and retain a major market aviation attorney like Mike Holland to fight their case for them.
Originally Posted by sbm12
Except the part that says "Operated by ExpressJet d/b/a Continental Express" on the booking screen, the ticket and everywhere else that it says Continental.

CO is certainly on the hook from a PR perspective but that does not make them legally liable.
The bottom line when it comes to customer service is PERCEPTION IS REALITY. You can bet everyone who has heard this story and is upset is thinking "I am never booking with Continental" not "I'll never book with ExpressJet". It doesnt matter what the law says, what the CoC says....this PR nightmare is going to fall fully on CAL and if they were smart they would have realized that on moment 1.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by JohnneeO
<SNIP> Post # 42 in that same thread:

Recent post from a FA:

Originally Posted by InternationalCSD
I'd tell the CA/FO to grow a set of ***** or else I'm popping one [slide]...now they might have to call the Cops ...anything beats being imprisoned on a jungle jet with a smelly LAV and low provisioning...

Now if the FAA wants to suspend my certificates I'd sue their ***** period.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
What's worse though? I'm sure XJ has insurance that will pay a settlement to the 47 pax, but this doesn't make CO look good at all in the public eye and I'm sure there are at least 47 people out there vowing to never fly on CO again and convincing everyone they know to do the same.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 12:56 pm

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by soitgoes
I'd still just pick it up at the airport.
Exactly. While you may be forced to check luggage because it is an RJ, there is nothing I would ever have in a checked bag that I would not be willing to walk away from and pick up later...
Old Aug 10, 2009, 12:58 pm

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Delta SkyMiles, Southwest Rapid Rewards
CorpComm

Continental's corporate communications department has been a shambles ever since Ned Walker left for Delta. I remember the days of Jim Briganz(sp?), Jeff Awalt...would be hard-pressed to name anybody at CO who ever gets quoted regularly in the consumer or trade press, probably too engrossed in adding those addendums to "The Book of Excuses".
There is no consistent message emanating from CO, nor are they regarded by the mainstream or trade press as particularly helpful. My neighbour does a nationally-syndicated radio show and he says, of all the legacy carriers, CO is the slowest to respond to a query, if at all...whereas AC's CEO will answer him back same day, even on a weekend. Maybe once CO gets into *A, they can learn something from their colleagues....he even gives UA a better communications rating, (some of you might not agree), stating that John Tague is a gentleman to deal with.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
There is the law, and the law you can enforce. I just don't see the local AUSA/DA going after some poor pax that popped the emergency exit and left the plane. Even if the AUSA did try and prosecute the case, they wouldn't find a jury that would convict.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Absolutely shameful, inexcusable behavior from both Continental and ExpressJet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.