Connecting int'l to domestic at EWR

Old Jul 19, 2009, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AC, BA Bronze
Connecting int'l to domestic at EWR

I have a question about connection time required from international to domestic at EWR. Is 1h30min enough time? I'm guessing I will have to clear both customs/immigration and security? This would be during the December/January holiday season, and I am not a US citizen which usually makes the customs line-up longer.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 2:04 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

That's pushing it.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA PP (47% MM), HH Gold, National Exec Elite
It also depends on your arrival time. May be backed up during the arrivals of euro flights. I had no problems clearing when arriving from nrt --> transferred terminals (C --> A), and cleared security ~45 min.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 2:34 pm

Programs: CO OnePass Platinum AS MVP HHonors Diamond SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SpartanFlyer86
It also depends on your arrival time. May be backed up during the arrivals of euro flights. I had no problems clearing when arriving from nrt --> transferred terminals (C --> A), and cleared security ~45 min.
But are you a US citizen? The OP stated s/he is not which may add time to the immigration/customs process.

To the OP - exactly what day will you be arriving in EWR? And what is the destination of your connecting flight? Is it the last of the day? If you miss your flight due to a delay in immigration or customs CO will re-book you on the next available flight or place you on standby if it's full. If it's the last flight of the day they will not pay for a hotel so leave a little extra in your travel budget in case you end up spending the night in EWR. Around the holidays even the inexpensive hotels can get a bit pricey if they fill up.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AC, BA Bronze
Originally Posted by COpltASgldPHX
But are you a US citizen? The OP stated s/he is not which may add time to the immigration/customs process.

To the OP - exactly what day will you be arriving in EWR? And what is the destination of your connecting flight? Is it the last of the day? If you miss your flight due to a delay in immigration or customs CO will re-book you on the next available flight or place you on standby if it's full. If it's the last flight of the day they will not pay for a hotel so leave a little extra in your travel budget in case you end up spending the night in EWR. Around the holidays even the inexpensive hotels can get a bit pricey if they fill up.
Hey thanks for the replies. I haven't bought my ticket yet but I am looking at a flight arriving at EWR at 4pm on Jan 2. I would like to be on the connecting flight to SFO that departs at 5:30pm, but I could just book the 7pm departure instead just to be safe, from what I gather here that might be the better option. Both legs would be on CO.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 3:40 pm

Programs: Continental
Don't check your bags. That will save you a lot of time.
You will still have to go back through security after customs. So no liquids!
Old Jul 19, 2009, 3:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by StudentTravelerSR
Hey thanks for the replies. I haven't bought my ticket yet but I am looking at a flight arriving at EWR at 4pm on Jan 2. I would like to be on the connecting flight to SFO that departs at 5:30pm, but I could just book the 7pm departure instead just to be safe, from what I gather here that might be the better option. Both legs would be on CO.
I'd definitely book the 7pm flight. If you do make it to the gate in time for the 5:30pm flight you can fly standby on it for free since it is a connection.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 4:46 pm

Programs: CO OnePass Platinum AS MVP HHonors Diamond SPG Gold
Originally Posted by StudentTravelerSR
Definitely go for the later flight. I imagine Sunday 1/3 will be busier than Sat 1/2 but it's still a holiday weekend and will be busier than a typical Saturday. If your Inbound arrives on-time or early then you'd be fine with the 5:30 but you never know with winter weather @EWR. A good sleet or freezing rain can turn things hellish very quickly.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 5:45 pm

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
And don't forget - sometimes, international flights arrive at terminal B. That can add at least 15 minutes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.