FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   Connecting int'l to domestic at EWR (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/976640-connecting-intl-domestic-ewr.html)

StudentTravelerSR Jul 19, 2009 1:59 pm

Connecting int'l to domestic at EWR

I have a question about connection time required from international to domestic at EWR. Is 1h30min enough time? I'm guessing I will have to clear both customs/immigration and security? This would be during the December/January holiday season, and I am not a US citizen which usually makes the customs line-up longer.

vatraveler Jul 19, 2009 2:04 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

That's pushing it.

SpartanFlyer86 Jul 19, 2009 2:10 pm

It also depends on your arrival time. May be backed up during the arrivals of euro flights. I had no problems clearing when arriving from nrt --> transferred terminals (C --> A), and cleared security ~45 min.

COpltASgldPHX Jul 19, 2009 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by SpartanFlyer86 (Post 12089775)
It also depends on your arrival time. May be backed up during the arrivals of euro flights. I had no problems clearing when arriving from nrt --> transferred terminals (C --> A), and cleared security ~45 min.

But are you a US citizen? The OP stated s/he is not which may add time to the immigration/customs process.

To the OP - exactly what day will you be arriving in EWR? And what is the destination of your connecting flight? Is it the last of the day? If you miss your flight due to a delay in immigration or customs CO will re-book you on the next available flight or place you on standby if it's full. If it's the last flight of the day they will not pay for a hotel so leave a little extra in your travel budget in case you end up spending the night in EWR. Around the holidays even the inexpensive hotels can get a bit pricey if they fill up.

StudentTravelerSR Jul 19, 2009 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by COpltASgldPHX (Post 12089849)
But are you a US citizen? The OP stated s/he is not which may add time to the immigration/customs process.

To the OP - exactly what day will you be arriving in EWR? And what is the destination of your connecting flight? Is it the last of the day? If you miss your flight due to a delay in immigration or customs CO will re-book you on the next available flight or place you on standby if it's full. If it's the last flight of the day they will not pay for a hotel so leave a little extra in your travel budget in case you end up spending the night in EWR. Around the holidays even the inexpensive hotels can get a bit pricey if they fill up.

Hey thanks for the replies. I haven't bought my ticket yet but I am looking at a flight arriving at EWR at 4pm on Jan 2. I would like to be on the connecting flight to SFO that departs at 5:30pm, but I could just book the 7pm departure instead just to be safe, from what I gather here that might be the better option. Both legs would be on CO.

hockey7711 Jul 19, 2009 3:40 pm

Don't check your bags. That will save you a lot of time.
You will still have to go back through security after customs. So no liquids!

sbm12 Jul 19, 2009 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by StudentTravelerSR (Post 12090015)
Hey thanks for the replies. I haven't bought my ticket yet but I am looking at a flight arriving at EWR at 4pm on Jan 2. I would like to be on the connecting flight to SFO that departs at 5:30pm, but I could just book the 7pm departure instead just to be safe, from what I gather here that might be the better option. Both legs would be on CO.

I'd definitely book the 7pm flight. If you do make it to the gate in time for the 5:30pm flight you can fly standby on it for free since it is a connection.

COpltASgldPHX Jul 19, 2009 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by StudentTravelerSR (Post 12090015)

Definitely go for the later flight. I imagine Sunday 1/3 will be busier than Sat 1/2 but it's still a holiday weekend and will be busier than a typical Saturday. If your Inbound arrives on-time or early then you'd be fine with the 5:30 but you never know with winter weather @EWR. A good sleet or freezing rain can turn things hellish very quickly.

mbreuer Jul 19, 2009 5:45 pm

And don't forget - sometimes, international flights arrive at terminal B. That can add at least 15 minutes.