Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel Bank Question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2009, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Travel Bank Question

I searched, but could not find the answer to this question:

I received a notification e-mail from CO that my Travel Bank membership is about to expire. I plan to renew it (as I earned $50 this year ), but I do not want to "waste" part of the membership between the time it initially expires, and the next time I book a ticket on continental.com.

I know that $25/year is chump change, but I can maximize my returns by just waiting to renew until I am about to buy a ticket. Since the $5 does not appear in your bank until after the itinerary posts, I am worried that the itinerary booked under my current membership (which will not be flown until after the expiration date) will not post, due to the temporary lapse in my membership. I do plan to renew before I fly the existing itinerary.

Does it pay to renew now, or should I just let my membership expire and wait to renew until I am ready to book another flight? I read through the FAQ's, and they do not address this question.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 1:31 pm

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Pay Up

IIRC, if your membership lapses CO sends you a travel cert for the balance of your account. Like all ETCs it expires in 1 year and is not combine-able with other ETCs.

Travel club funds do not expire (assuming you renew your membership).

I'd just pay the $25 now and be done with it.
(My account expires in two weeks too.)
Old Jul 18, 2009, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
That's what I'll do. Thanks.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA PLAT, SPG PLAT. Collector of Chase UR points
Originally Posted by SS255
Does it pay to renew now, or should I just let my membership expire and wait to renew until I am ready to book another flight?
I was in the same boat last year. Here was my experience.

My membership expired in July 2008.
I did not have any trips until September 2008.
I renewed my membership the first week of September, but the expiration date remained July 2009.
I purchased two tickets during the transition in August and I did not receive the credits. I e-mailed CO and their response was that I need to be an active member when the tickets were purchased and flown.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 8:11 pm

Programs: Most....Four elite air/ Three hotel elites - UA MillionMiler - DL RWT alum
How come we can't use "banked" TravelBank / TravelClub funds to pay for RENEWAL of our TravelBank?
(and $10 to $25 was a steep jump).
Old Jul 19, 2009, 8:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by flyzabit
How come we can't use "banked" TravelBank / TravelClub funds to pay for RENEWAL of our TravelBank?
For the same reason that ETCs can only be used for the purchase of new fares and not for upgrade fees or other spend: CO wants the cash.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 12:56 pm
Company Representative, United Airlines

I searched, but could not find the answer to this question:

I received a notification e-mail from CO that my Travel Bank membership is about to expire. I plan to renew it (as I earned $50 this year ), but I do not want to "waste" part of the membership between the time it initially expires, and the next time I book a ticket on continental.com.

I know that $25/year is chump change, but I can maximize my returns by just waiting to renew until I am about to buy a ticket. Since the $5 does not appear in your bank until after the itinerary posts, I am worried that the itinerary booked under my current membership (which will not be flown until after the expiration date) will not post, due to the temporary lapse in my membership. I do plan to renew before I fly the existing itinerary.

Does it pay to renew now, or should I just let my membership expire and wait to renew until I am ready to book another flight? I read through the FAQ's, and they do not address this question.
Hi SS255, it's not TravelBank that has an annual membership fee, it's the continental.com Club. If you decide not to renew your continental.com Club membership, the funds in your TravelBank will indeed remain redeemable. We do have a caveat that if you do not have any activity (deposits or withdrawals) in your TravelBank account for 24 months, the balance will be transferred to a Continental travel certificate.

Originally Posted by jrzyshawn
I was in the same boat last year. Here was my experience.

My membership expired in July 2008.
I did not have any trips until September 2008.
I renewed my membership the first week of September, but the expiration date remained July 2009.
I purchased two tickets during the transition in August and I did not receive the credits. I e-mailed CO and their response was that I need to be an active member when the tickets were purchased and flown.
Hi jrzyshawn, we agree this isn't the way to go, and it will be changed within the next month. When we make this change, continental.com Club memberships will expire 12 months from the original expiration, not the date of renewal. We'll be applying this retroactively, as well.

Originally Posted by flyzabit
Hi flyzabit, feedback received. Currently, TravelBank funds may only be used toward the purchase of new tickets on continental.com. We do plan to expand this in the future, but for now, this is how it works.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA PLAT, SPG PLAT. Collector of Chase UR points
Thanks for the info and letting us know our feedback counts!
Old Jul 20, 2009, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by CO Insider
Hi jrzyshawn, we agree this isn't the way to go, and it will be changed within the next month. When we make this change, continental.com Club memberships will expire 12 months from the original expiration, not the date of renewal. We'll be applying this retroactively, as well.
Wait...is this a good thing?

My account expired on July 3rd. I have no need to buy tickets for a while now. When I do, I'll renew my membership and pay the $25 annual fee but receive less than a year's worth of value for that renewal based on what you're saying. Sure, I get the extra time-value of the money by not giving it to you earlier than necessary but it doesn't seem like buying a year and getting fewer than 12 months from when I pay is a good thing.

Of course, the flip side is folks who buy tix in the interim window and want the membership to be retroactive so they don't lose out on their credits but I care less about them and more about me.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA-1K w/2MM & lifetime U-Club; Marriott-Lifetime Titanium; IHG-Diamond; National-Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by sbm12
but I care less about them and more about me.
Spoken like a true 1K LOL
Old Jul 20, 2009, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Hi SS255, it's not TravelBank that has an annual membership fee, it's the continental.com Club. If you decide not to renew your continental.com Club membership, the funds in your TravelBank will indeed remain redeemable. We do have a caveat that if you do not have any activity (deposits or withdrawals) in your TravelBank account for 24 months, the balance will be transferred to a Continental travel certificate.
If I am understanding everything correctly, if I let my continental.com Club membership lapse.....but I have one active reservation booked while my membership was active......and then I renew prior to flying (i.e. maybe a month after my membership lapsed)......I will not get credit for the one trip booked during my current membership?

In other words, allowing a continental.com Club membership to lapse will also cancel out any pre-existing reservations as they relate to our TravelBank ccounts?
Old Jul 20, 2009, 5:13 pm
Company Representative, United Airlines

Originally Posted by sbm12
Wait...is this a good thing?

My account expired on July 3rd. I have no need to buy tickets for a while now. When I do, I'll renew my membership and pay the $25 annual fee but receive less than a year's worth of value for that renewal based on what you're saying. Sure, I get the extra time-value of the money by not giving it to you earlier than necessary but it doesn't seem like buying a year and getting fewer than 12 months from when I pay is a good thing.

Of course, the flip side is folks who buy tix in the interim window and want the membership to be retroactive so they don't lose out on their credits but I care less about them and more about me.
It's good, sbm12. With this new change, we'll simply add 12 months on to your scheduled expiration date. If you renew after your membership lapses, you'll get 12 full months of membership as well - you just won't get credit for any tickets purchased while your membership was inactive.

If I am understanding everything correctly, if I let my continental.com Club membership lapse.....but I have one active reservation booked while my membership was active......and then I renew prior to flying (i.e. maybe a month after my membership lapsed)......I will not get credit for the one trip booked during my current membership?

In other words, allowing a continental.com Club membership to lapse will also cancel out any pre-existing reservations as they relate to our TravelBank ccounts?
Hi SS255, your continental.com Club credits apply to tickets purchased while your membership was active. This means you'll get your TravelBank $$ bonus if you bought a ticket while your continental.com Club membership was active but flew after your membership expired.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 5:19 pm

It's good, sbm12. With this new change, we'll simply add 12 months on to your scheduled expiration date. If you renew after your membership lapses, you'll get 12 full months of membership as well - you just won't get credit for any tickets purchased while your membership was inactive.
Muy bueno. Gracias.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Hi SS255, your continental.com Club credits apply to tickets purchased while your membership was active. This means you'll get your TravelBank $$ bonus if you bought a ticket while your continental.com Club membership was active but flew after your membership expired.
And a second "muy bueno" and "gracias" from me!
Old Jul 20, 2009, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Great news! ^ Sounds like the most cost-effective renewal method is to just renew before I book my next ticket, which most likely will not be until a few weeks after my membership expires.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.