Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Continental pilot dies during flight... [18-Jun-2009][threads merged]

Continental pilot dies during flight... [18-Jun-2009][threads merged]

Old Jun 18, 2009, 10:06 am

Wow, my condolences to the family. CO is just not having good luck lately.

I know 61-64 yr olds are more likely to have health problems then younger pilots, but with modern medicine, it's not that old and you can be quite healthy with a little effort. I dunno, I like having really experienced pilots. A copilot is there in case something should happen, like here.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by jrzyshawn
...I am sure some of the pax figured out what was going on, especially if they had to remove the captain from the cockpit.
It can be tough to see what's happening up front on a 777, if I recall correctly. The galley complex is between the passengers and the flight deck.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
My condolences to the pilot's family.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 10:09 am

Programs: *
Originally Posted by jrzyshawn
I am sure some of the pax figured out what was going on, especially if they had to remove the captain from the cockpit.
Those in BF cabin would certainly know as pilot would have to have been brought into the front galley to be resuscitated and would have heard call for medical assistance and seen medical people walk straight past them
Old Jun 18, 2009, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ani90
Those in BF cabin would certainly know as pilot would have to have been brought into the front galley to be resuscitated and would have heard call for medical assistance and seen medical people walk straight past them
During flight, you think? I guess it's possible.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
My condolances to the family as well.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 10:14 am

Programs: UA
There was a relief pilot on board.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...,6091517.story
Old Jun 18, 2009, 10:17 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
This is very sad news. My condolences to this pilots family ,coworkers, friends, & anyone else I failed to mention.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 10:19 am

Programs: AA Gold, *wood Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
So sad. Very sorry for the family. My father was 61 when he died of a heart attack so my thoughts and prayers are certainly with everyone

The Houston Chronicle has a few more details. His family has been notified. A doctor on board pronounced him dead.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6486266.html
Old Jun 18, 2009, 10:27 am

Cause of death?

Originally Posted by iahphx
Wall to wall cable news coverage.

It will be particularly lame, as other than the unfortunate death, there's not much to talk about here.

Except the 61-thing, which will no doubt be good for several hours of punditry in the next 2 days.
I disagree.

There will be certainly much more said when the cause of death is determined, and the circumstances leading to the death are ascertained, as this would have implications for health screening, lifestyle, and medical management of pilots.

It is though inappropriate for the airline to declare the pilot died of natural causes - that is something for the medical examiner to determine. Without knowledge of his medical history, circumstances of death, and very likely, an autopsy it is impossible to ascertain what he died of.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 10:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, 2.3 MM

I'm sure BF pax would know, the CBS story stated they placed him in a crew rest seat. Unless there is an area not in the seating section for rest on this aircraft.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 10:37 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
It is though inappropriate for the airline to declare the pilot died of natural causes - that is something for the medical examiner to determine. Without knowledge of his medical history, circumstances of death, and very likely, an autopsy it is impossible to ascertain what he died of.
I think the phrase "natural causes" was used to re-assure folks that there was no (apparent) foul play involved.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 10:43 am

Programs: AA PLT
My condolences to the family as well.

A reporter from MSNBC is speaking with some of the pax from that flight. He is reporting that the pax were not notified that the captain had died, but that the crew did ask for the assistance of any medical personnel on board. Also, many of the pax said that although they're learning of the events now from the media, they're okay that they weren't notified on board because it probably would have caused quite a panic.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
I think the phrase "natural causes" was used to re-assure folks that there was no (apparent) foul play involved.
Unfortunately that is also something even CO cannot guarantee until an autopsy is performed as is the case with all sudden unexpected deaths - reassurances should come after the autopsy. I agree he has most likely died of a natural cause but that needs to be established formally.

I suspect when the autopsy findings are released CO will have a lot of answering to do...it should be extremely unusual for someone to have sudden totally unexpected death while under regular medical surveillance and with presumed tight guidelines on flying with symptoms of illness. For someone with a clean bill of health, determined by very intense medical screening pilots are presumably subject to, to be totally healthy and free of symptoms and then suddenly drop dead at work would be very very rare.

It would surprise me if it does not become revealed that either there has been a lapse in the rigor of medical screening, lapse in his medical care or there were health symptoms that were not evaluated. If none of these is the case then unnatural causes need to be excluded.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
I agree, this was not an "official" cause of death, just an announcement of the fact that there not any foul play.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.