FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   So long NW, Hello CO (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/959998-so-long-nw-hello-co.html)

nwa330 May 31, 2009 5:38 pm

So long NW, Hello CO

After 25 years flying with NW I have decided to make the switch to CO. I have many reasons for making this change. I feel CO has the best product out there. I recently flew to FCO on CO and returned on NW. CO had the best coach seat I ever have flown on and NW felt a cardboard box. The Delta program is so diluted the its impossible to redeem any millage. The only availability I find operated by CO. I can't believe people are really going to spend 45k in miles for a domestic flight and well over 100k to Europe. The only thing I ask is bring back the Bali flights and and start nonstop service to Guam.

Flyer IAH May 31, 2009 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by nwa330 (Post 11834500)
... CO had the best coach seat I ever have flown on ...

Geez, you really most have had pretty bad seats flying in other airlines. In my opinion, CO has the worst coach seat compared to other international carriers...

TWA Fan 1 May 31, 2009 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by Flyer IAH (Post 11834568)
Geez, you really most have had pretty bad seats flying in other airlines. In my opinion, CO has the worst coach seat compared to other international carriers...

Agreed. There are, mind you excellent features of CO, but the coach seat is most definitely not one of them.

The sad thing is that CO tested a new, far better coach seat fairly recently but rejected it because it entailed higher maintenance costs than the piece of sheet rock they currently use.

colpuck May 31, 2009 6:52 pm

CO (newish) Y seat is way better than anything Northwelta has.

COFreqFlyer May 31, 2009 6:53 pm

The only thing I ask is bring back the Bali flights and and start nonstop service to Guam.

I don't see DPS coming back until TSA gives them a nod of approval on security measures. I think that's what shot that destination down in the first place. :(

IAH-GUM would be wonderful (maybe by 23Sept???^) but that's probably wishful thinking for a while yet... the 777s are more effectively used on other, higher profit, routes. Remember that a 764 to Europe can go out with an almost full paying 35-seat BF cabin, whereas the 764s used between IAH, HNL and GUM only have the 20-seat BF cabin and it doesn't always wind up full with revenue pax. But has 35 more Y seats that generally WILL get filled up.

nwa330 May 31, 2009 7:26 pm

I was on a 767-200. the seat was the best coach seat I've ever seen. I had to walk the whole cabin because I thought it maybe was a 3 class cabin. Can someone with more CO experience chime in. I've only been on CO twice to Bali and after my experience to FCO I want to make this my primary airline.

redtailshark May 31, 2009 7:26 pm

After 25 years flying with NW I have decided to make the switch to CO. I have many reasons for making this change. I feel CO has the best product out there. I recently flew to FCO on CO and returned on NW. CO had the best coach seat I ever have flown on and NW felt a cardboard box. The Delta program is so diluted the its impossible to redeem any millage. The only availability I find operated by CO. I can't believe people are really going to spend 45k in miles for a domestic flight and well over 100k to Europe. The only thing I ask is bring back the Bali flights and and start nonstop service to Guam.

As one of the redtail faithful - although not quite as long-serving as you - who is seeking new and greener pastures, welcome to the new (blue and gold) fold.

I suppose I was effectively a CO flyer for the past five years anyway because I didn't have to switch from NW to enjoy the benefits but often flew CO. Now our relationship is formalized ;)

I choose not to think about this situation as CO vs NW anyway. NW effectively no longer exists, already - try redeeming WP miles now on the awful Deltified NWA.COM. In a matter of twelve months, NWA.COM went from being the best performing FFP tool to tied for worst. Amazing. All D (ownhil) L.

Now, now, it's simply CO vs DL.

And I agree strongly with your statement about worthless SM. DL has made some serious errors with the handling of their FFP (moving to the SM model to satisfy management vanity and their corporate mortgage to AmEx, not because SM was measurably superior to WP) and will pay for them, sooner than they think. But too bad for them.

But I don't agree that CO has good Y seats. It's disheartening to read in this thread that CO formally examined better Y seats and rejected them, because the old ones are in the lower tiers of comfort and quality for major carrier Y cabins. I wish we could move this back up the list since we spend so much time in the back of the 738s.

Nonetheless, on the whole, things are better than they will be over in the Coke basement. It's time to rack up the OP miles and look forward to learning about and using the Star network.

TWA Fan 1 May 31, 2009 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by nwa330 (Post 11834858)
I was on a 767-200. the seat was the best coach seat I've ever seen. I had to walk the whole cabin because I thought it maybe was a 3 class cabin. Can someone with more CO experience chime in. I've only been on CO twice to Bali and after my experience to FCO I want to make this my primary airline.

First, the 762 is only of only three aircraft variants on CO that have 32" seat pitch. Now while seat pitch does not exactly involve seat comfort, having a bit more legroom makes a big difference, increasing one's ability to stretch and move around.

Second, in my estimation, the 767 is the best widebody in the industry for flying in economy, with its brilliant 2-3-2 seating arrangement, meaning the fewest middle seats of any widebody.

Although I suppose there is some degree of subjectivity here, those of us who have flown CO and others extensively can attest to the lack of comfort of the CO seat.

In the past five years or so I have flown AA, AC, AF, AZ, BA, B6, DL, CO, NW, UA, US, SK, AY, LH, LX, IB, TP, WN, FL, YX, SU, LO, OS, TZ, U2, FR, F9, QF, NZ, VS, KL, LX, WS, and FV (also EC and and A0, but since these are business-class only, they are not relevant for this comparison).

The only seats I found less comfortable than CO were FL, U2, FR and TZ...

nwa330 May 31, 2009 7:59 pm

I find this all strange. I felt like I found a pot of gold but everyone seems to disagree. Even the ETOPS 757 from MCO-EWR had a better seat then a NW320. IS CO Y class really that bad?

Even if their seats aren't up to par I still want to make this my new airline. DL has ruined NW and the miles program. I grew up in MSP I that was my airline. Now I feel like an orphan that needs a good home and I think I've found it.

I used to tell my wife that I wanted to be buried with my frequent flyer statement now I want to burn it. I feel totally betrayed.

TWA Fan 1 May 31, 2009 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by nwa330 (Post 11834983)
I find this all strange. I felt like I found a pot of gold but everyone seems to disagree. Even the ETOPS 757 from MCO-EWR had a better seat then a NW320. IS CO Y class really that bad?

Even if their seats aren't up to par I still want to make this my new airline. DL has ruined NW and the miles program. I grew up in MSP I that was my airline. Now I feel like an orphan that needs a good home and I think I've found it.

I used to tell my wife that I wanted to be buried with my frequent flyer statement now I want to burn it. I feel totally betrayed.

Seat comfort is obviously to some extent subjective.

I'm glad you find CO more comfortable.

What is indisputable is the lack of legroom. The only CO planes that have 32" seat pitch are the 757-300, 767-200 and 767-400.

All others have only 31" seat pitch, including all the 737 variants (the backbone of the domestic fleet), the 757-200, and the 777, meaning that CO operates one of the 10 longest flights in the world EWR-HKG with only 31" seat pitch in Y.

Of course, for those who are of smaller stature, this is not an issue.

TWA Fan 1 May 31, 2009 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by nwa330 (Post 11834983)

When I was a CO elite, my favorite part was always flying with NW, where in all my yars of flying them I only missed one upgrade.

By comparison, I once went 0 for 25 on upgrades on CO...

OPFlyer May 31, 2009 9:21 pm

CO Y isn't that bad. If you do switch, you will be matched to Gold Elite. Because of this, you will have access to the exit rows which provide plenty of leg room.

JayhawkCO May 31, 2009 9:35 pm

Not to turn this into one of those other threads, but the best Y seat on an American airline is UA E+ (assuming you have access, but given we're on FT and talking about making something a primary airline, I figure it's understood).

Chris

TWA Fan 1 Jun 1, 2009 4:48 am

Originally Posted by JayhawkCO (Post 11835335)
Not to turn this into one of those other threads, but the best Y seat on an American airline is UA E+ (assuming you have access, but given we're on FT and talking about making something a primary airline, I figure it's understood).

Chris

As long as a seat is available, anybody can buy up to E+, as I have many times.

Personally, I prefer jetBlue's EML seats to UA E+. I prefer the comfort of the jetBlue seat and free LiveTV is great.

PublicBJ Jun 1, 2009 5:36 am

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1 (Post 11835013)
When I was a CO elite, my favorite part was always flying with NW, where in all my yars of flying them I only missed one upgrade.

By comparison, I once went 0 for 25 on upgrades on CO...

True, I don't think I ever missed an upgrade on a NW domestic flight (before). But their first class on their domestic fleet is pretty sad...