Search

Upgrade Question

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2009, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-Gold, HH-Gold VIP, Hyatt-Platinum, Hertz #1 Gold
Upgrade Question

Hi all -
New Silver on CO, still Gold on US. I have not gone through the auto-upgrade queue on CO yet...just wondering how this looks. I am EWR-DEN on Sunday, 6/22, 7:59AM, CO528. It shows F8 right now. I am on an economy fare, U class (I guess this is about 1/2 way up to the most expensive).

Any thoughts on likely success? I know it depends on # of other elites, but anyone know how busy this flight might be?

Thanks!
Old May 23, 2009, 9:30 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Can't give you specifics for the flight, but a few things that you can do to see where you might stand. It's worth noting that you're VERY early to get a reliable answer for that flight, IMO.

1. Check the seat map on continental.com for the flight. Only golds & platinums can get the exit rows before check-in. So if the exit rows are empty, it's a decent chance there aren't many golds/plats in front of you (however, they don't always select the exit rows, so it's not fool-proof).

2. 2 days before the flight you can check pda.continental.com/info and see the upgrade standby list for the flight. Again, not perfect, but it'll be decent to see how many are in front of you.
Old May 23, 2009, 9:33 pm

Programs: DL BA Amex
upgrade...

Sunday morning is a plus for you, but I never had a lot of luck as a Silver except evening flights in & out of Vegas. (those I ran about 80%)
Old May 23, 2009, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
On June 18th, it's going to have 7 seats remaining, then on the 19th, only 2, then on the 20th, 3 are going to cancel, and who knows after that.
Old May 23, 2009, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA PLAT, SPG PLAT. Collector of Chase UR points
Can we maybe merge all these "Will I be upgraded" questions that are nearly impossible to answer anyway?
Old May 23, 2009, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-Gold, HH-Gold VIP, Hyatt-Platinum, Hertz #1 Gold
Thanks all

I know you can't predict, and having been Elite on US for 12 years I also know it can change the day of, but my question was really how Sundays typically are and then how the process goes...I know US's but don't know CO's. Thanks.
Old May 23, 2009, 10:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ednursevt
...I know US's but don't know CO's. Thanks.
I thought US' involves the GA trying to sell off the F seats for a fee so he/she can earn their gold stars and not upgrade any Elites - and when you question them, they scowl and threaten to have you removed from the flight, assuming they even look up from their computer to speak.

You'll find the CO process is a little more user-friendly. Not perfect, but much more pleasant. Check the pda site after check-in for your upgrade chances.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.