FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger-488/)
-   -   Layover on Award ticket (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/continental-onepass-pre-merger/957280-layover-award-ticket.html)

brasov02 May 22, 2009 7:08 pm

Layover on Award ticket

I found dates that work saver-pass-award-wise for a trip I want to take to Bucharest in July, 7/4 - 7/18. I know you are allowed a layover and the flights go through Paris, so I was wanting to spend a couple of days there on the way back home, say on the 20th. But I'm assuming that just because I had a 25,000 award booked for the 18th, that doesn't mean I automatically get the same option if I call later for the allowed layover in Paris? Still pretty new at this stuff. Thanks for any help.

Xyzzy May 22, 2009 8:00 pm

If this is a Series 6 award, you're allowed one stopover and one open jaw. If you ticket and call later to make a change (ie add the stopover) you'll probably only have to pay a change fee if the flights are within 21 days, as the origin and destination are the same. The fee chart is here

brasov02 May 22, 2009 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by xyzzy (Post 11792664)
If you ticket and call later to make a change (ie add the stopover) you'll probably only have to pay a change fee if the flights are within 21 days, as the origin and destination are the same.

Thanks very much for that. Just want to make sure I'm getting this right...
When I book the ticket it will be 50,000 miles for roundtrip to Bucharest 7/4 to 7/18. At the time of booking there are no saver pass economy seats available on the 21st. I call later (still beyond the 21 day travel period) to add the layover in Paris on the original return date and then complete the trip from there on the 21st. Even though there was/is no economy saverpass award seat available, according to the online calendar, on that later date (the 21st) the original 50,000 mile charge will remain unchanged?
That's pretty convenient if I've got it right.

Xyzzy May 22, 2009 9:48 pm

I believe that there will be no charge in that case, as the origin and destination are the same. I do not work for CO, though. They may see this as a change that does not qualify. I'd ask at the time of ticketing just to make sure. Oh -- and there will have to be availability in the class you paid (25k) for the return.

SeamusSA May 22, 2009 10:15 pm

Sorry, no free dejeuner

I think you are asking if you can redeem a SaverPass award and later change your return to include a stopover, with the new continuation from your stopover on a day when there is only Standard award availability, and not have to pay additional miles. The answer is no, you cannot.
If you book a SaverPass ticket and want to change your return (or any part of it) to a different day, there must be a Saverpass seat available on all legs for that day, or you will be required to "pay" the additional miles.

In terms of additional fee, not sure about that. According to the info on the CO site about fees for reward ticket changes unless you hold Platinum elite status you my have to pay $75 (along with an additional miles that may be required) if the travel is less than 21 days in the future. The reason I am not sure whether or not you would have to pay the fee is that it technically you are keeping the same date for leaving Bucharest. If you get a sympathetic agent perhaps you'll get away without the fee.

brasov02 May 22, 2009 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by SeamusSA (Post 11792995)
I think you are asking if you can redeem a SaverPass award and later change your return to include a stopover, with the new continuation from your stopover on a day when there is only Standard award availability, and not have to pay additional miles. The answer is no, you cannot.
If you book a SaverPass ticket and want to change your return (or any part of it) to a different day, there must be a Saverpass seat available on all legs for that day, or you will be required to "pay" the additional miles.

Wow, you stated my question much more succinctly and in a much less confusing way than I was able to.
And your answer is pretty much what I thought would be the case, but I've been surprised so often with what I don't know here on this board I don't just assume very much anymore and want to make sure. Thanks for the confirmation.