Wiki Posts
Search

CO sues pilots getting sham divorces

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2009, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
Agreed here --Continental isn't being harmed by those 9 pilots, all of the pilots that work for Continental and participate in the plan are.

This is more about "sticking it to your co-worker" than "sticking it to Big Business" here.
Hmm...interesting angle. But wouldn't pulling money out in full change the funding ratio of the rest of the pension, possibly requiring additional funding by the airline?

In other words, if a plan is say 80% funded, and 10% of the participants withdrew 100% of their entitlement in full, then the remaining participants now would be ~78% funded, right? A downward change could possibly trigger additional funding requirements by the company. Or if not, at a minimum, could mess with funding projections.

If CO had nothing to lose here, why would they sue? I think CO was trying to stop this from getting out of control so that others wouldn't jump on board.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 2:26 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Kudos to the pilots who figured this out. For once the little guy figured out how to stick it to big business.
followed by a later quote from another about "sticking to fellow workers"

well, sure, but, um, gee, just where does CO get this money to fund the pensions? does it grow on trees? do they print it? is CO getting a stimulus check? oh, that's right, it comes out of the customer's pockets.

so sure, go ahead and praise those with sketchy ethics while they get their's because they are only taking what's yours.

not that we would ever see CO lower prices because they gain some incremental savings in costs - but ethos like that (and all the other pilferring and abuse) just drives up prices faster than is necessary.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Section 107
so sure, go ahead and praise those with sketchy ethics while they get their's because they are only taking what's yours.
Let's not start on an ethics debate here, because the ethics argument only works if all parties are following similar ethical guidelines.

Once CO lets me view my all-in ticket price as I'm booking it on their website, or processes a refund just as fast as they process a charge, then you can start playing the ethics violin and talk about how they're taking the high road.

Until then, they're paying beancounters to figure out exactly how much float and interest they're making by taking 7-10 days to refund tickets because they have to go into some magical "queue" which takes time to process. *wink* *wink*

And you can bet they're paying lawyers to figure out how to keep their pension contributions as low as possible while still keeping the plan viable (all while tooting their horn each time they make a contribution).
Old Nov 24, 2009, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by channa
Let's not start on an ethics debate here, because the ethics argument only works if all parties are following similar ethical guidelines.

Once CO lets me view my all-in ticket price as I'm booking it on their website, or processes a refund just as fast as they process a charge, then you can start playing the ethics violin and talk about how they're taking the high road.

Until then, they're paying beancounters to figure out exactly how much float and interest they're making by taking 7-10 days to refund tickets because they have to go into some magical "queue" which takes time to process. *wink* *wink*

And you can bet they're paying lawyers to figure out how to keep their pension contributions as low as possible while still keeping the plan viable (all while tooting their horn each time they make a contribution).
I googled the definition of "rationalization" and this post came up.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tod E Tosser
I googled the definition of "rationalization" and this post came up.
LOL.

Thing is it's tough to play clean and win if the other side is playing dirty.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by channa
LOL.

Thing is it's tough to play clean and win if the other side is playing dirty.
See my previous post.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 7:40 pm

Part of the reason why labor is angry

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1748...comment-773321
Old Nov 24, 2009, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by featheroleather
you have a truncated link, can't read anything 404 error.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 9:24 am

Last edited by featheroleather; Nov 25, 2009 at 9:30 am Reason: cant get link to work. management shennanegens???
Old Nov 25, 2009, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
http://seekingalpha.com/article/1748...e-compensation

here is the link that featherorleather was wanting to post, it is a comparison of executives packages and airline stock/profits/revenues etc.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 8:24 pm
Suspended

Interesting strategy to tap into the pension before the pension is no longer offered as a benefit.
No doubt the executives are pissed that there won't be as much there when they decide to gut the pension as has been done with most other airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.