Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CO sues pilots getting sham divorces

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2009, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by lewisc
Since it's "OK" for airlines to use bankruptcy court (and the threat of bankruptcy) to get out of obligations (including pension) I don't see a problem when employees figure out how to use divorce courts in a similar way.
And apparently, neither did the judge, at least as far as the law was concerned.

Judge tosses out Continental Airlines suit claiming 9 pilots got sham divorces

U.S. District Judge Gray Miller said he can't condone the pilots' alleged actions. But he ruled that the law doesn't allow Continental's pension administrator to consider the employees' motivation for getting divorced in deciding whether to distribute benefits.

Miller granted the pilots' motion to dismiss.
Continental is considering an appeal.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 5:42 am

Programs: UA
I wonder what would happen if one of the spouses decided they didn't want to get remarried after all?
Old Oct 20, 2009, 5:51 am

Programs: Retired-CO Former Long-time Plat, Now a Kettle, Hilton Gold (Thanks AMEX)
Sounds like "Shenanigans" to me.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 6:31 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Like another poster said, people get divorced and re-married to one another all the time.

Tough to prove that this was a scam.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Billiken
Like another poster said, people get divorced and re-married to one another all the time.

Tough to prove that this was a scam.

That's not it. If you read the statement, "U.S. District Judge Gray Miller said he can't condone the pilots' alleged actions. But he ruled that the law doesn't allow Continental's pension administrator to consider the employees' motivation for getting divorced in deciding whether to distribute benefits."

In other words, it doesn't matter if it was a sham divorce, that's irrelevant. The rules are the rules, and if you get divorced, the plan says they can get paid. It doesn't matter why they divorced. In fact with his "can't condone" remark, the judge is more or less admitting he thinks these are shams, but again, it doesn't matter.

Kudos to the pilots who figured this out. For once the little guy figured out how to stick it to big business.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 6:54 am

Programs: DL Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by KChar
I wonder what would happen if one of the spouses decided they didn't want to get remarried after all?
I would guess that the ex-spouse would keep the pension. The pilot probably wouldn't want to remarry that person anyway, if he/she thought about not remarrying in order to keep the money. That reminds me of the old joke.
Why is divorce so expensive?
Because it's worth it.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 7:12 am

Programs: HHONORS diamond, AVIS,Hertz
This is very similar to the "Fire and Rehire" "retire and rehire" that went on for years with teachers getting access to there retirement funds. It was very common for a public school system to fire or retire a teacher one week she would then have access to pension and then perform a rollover of the funds. only to be rehired next week. This happened very frequently here in Texas. I used to perform this transaction at one point in my career.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gulfstreamceo
This is very similar to the "Fire and Rehire" that went on for years with teachers getting access to there retirement funds. It was very common for a public school system to fire a teacher one week she would then have access to pension and then perform a rollover of the funds. only to be rehired next week. This happened very frequently here in Texas. I used to perform this transaction at one point in my career.

And just like divorce, "We didn't know we'd eventually work everything out and get back together," the teachers can use budget/funding as the excuse, "Funding never came through for next fiscal year, so we had to do the prudent thing and cut our staff and plan for larger classes. Of course, a couple weeks later when funding came in, we had to rehire the people we let go."

Fire and rehire is not uncommon in business -- many companies lay off people and then rehire them as circumstances change. Though in private industry there often isn't a pension implication to deal with.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 6:54 am
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP 14M, UA-1K, AS-MVP Gold, DL-PL, CO-PL, EK-Gold, BA-Gold, HH-D, SPG-PL
Smile

Originally Posted by channa
That's not it. If you read the statement, "U.S. District Judge Gray Miller said he can't condone the pilots' alleged actions. But he ruled that the law doesn't allow Continental's pension administrator to consider the employees' motivation for getting divorced in deciding whether to distribute benefits."

In other words, it doesn't matter if it was a sham divorce, that's irrelevant. The rules are the rules, and if you get divorced, the plan says they can get paid. It doesn't matter why they divorced. In fact with his "can't condone" remark, the judge is more or less admitting he thinks these are shams, but again, it doesn't matter.

Kudos to the pilots who figured this out. For once the little guy figured out how to stick it to big business.
+1

from my reading I came to the exact same conclusion.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by channa
The Big Boys have been chopping away for so long at the employees' pay, benefits, and pension; I say- Good for the pilots!! Wish more pilots had figured this out and done the same thing. As you said, nothing is said in the plan about "why" the divorce is done, just that there is a divorce.

If CO's lawyers are too stupid to account for this inevitability, that's their own damn fault.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jpsboo
The Big Boys have been chopping away for so long at the employees' pay, benefits, and pension; I say- Good for the pilots!!
Not only that, but having that kind of money tied up against an airline is risky at best. Look at what happened to the pre-BK UA pensions.

If the legal structure of a pension allows a company to hold onto one's retirement funds like that, and your own financial security and well being is predicated on your company's success in a decade or more, you can't blame someone from trying to work the system to get the cash out of the "risky" company holding and into their bank account as quickly as possible.

So the real motive here is likely not to defaud the airline, rather it's to keep one's retirement benefits in tact. Realistically, the whole pension funding/security system needs to be reviewed. If the pensions were secure and guaranteed, then there would be far less motivation to use these sorts of work-arounds.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 12:11 pm

Programs: CO
The way most pensions work, using sham divorces to pull money form the plan is more likely to harm the other pension beneficiaries (i.e., fellow pilots) than harm Continental.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by McHugh
The way most pensions work, using sham divorces to pull money form the plan is more likely to harm the other pension beneficiaries (i.e., fellow pilots) than harm Continental.
that is correct, the other pilots are being harmed by it.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by Steph3n
that is correct, the other pilots are being harmed by it.
And that is what pisses me off- that these guys are now the "bad" guys. Yes, the 9 pilots were "morally wrong". But, you know what? Continental is "morally" wrong! But in business, morally wrong doesn't count. As long as it is legal, then anything goes. Screw everyone. That's why I am for these pilots getting one over on the MAN.

I see it that Continental took their pensions, screwed these guys out of their retirement, and these few pilots found a way to get a little bit of that back. CO screwed the pilots. Well, not these pilots. I'm GLAD these guys figured out how to stick it to corporate.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 11:49 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by McHugh
Agreed here --Continental isn't being harmed by those 9 pilots, all of the pilots that work for Continental and participate in the plan are.

This is more about "sticking it to your co-worker" than "sticking it to Big Business" here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.