CO Miles to Upgrade UA flight in Dec

Old May 22, 09, 2:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum, HiltonHonors Gold
CO Miles to Upgrade UA flight in Dec

I know all the details haven't been sorted out, but I figured I would throw this out there.

I am taking a Christmas trip where UA has the best price. After CO joins *A, will I be able to use my CO miles to get an upgrade to business class for the UA purchased flight?

Thanks!
Old May 22, 09, 2:54 am

In lieu of any documented announcements, I consulted my magic 8 ball and the answer is 'ask again later'.

The closer to full fare the better but who knows about co-pays, specific fare buckets and other options, like the elusive SWU for OnePass.
Old May 22, 09, 3:37 am

Programs: TK *Gold; WN A-list; NEXUS; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Currently Star Alliance upgrades (using miles from one airline to upgrade on another star alliance upgrade) are possible only for expensive fare buckets (full fare or nearly full fare economy/business).

More info on Star Upgrade Awards on partners can be found here http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,52927,00.html (to give a glimpse at how one airline in star handles them--this is not to imply that CO will do it in the same way...it's just an example) and here is how the star alliance website discusses them...which might be helpful http://www.staralliance.com/en/trave...de_awards.html

If you're booking a (deeply) discounted ticket on UA....IMHO, it would be a mistake to buy it thinking that you'll be able to upgrade it with CO miles.

As has been said, nothing has been announced but OnePass is not known as a program that is generous in allowing the use of its miles for upgrades on partner airlines.
Old May 22, 09, 3:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by Renard
Currently Star Alliance upgrades (using miles from one airline to upgrade on another star alliance upgrade) are possible only for expensive fare buckets (full fare or nearly full fare economy/business).

More info on Star Upgrade Awards on partners can be found here http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,52927,00.html (to give a glimpse at how one airline in star handles them--this is not to imply that CO will do it in the same way...it's just an example) and here is how the star alliance website discusses them...which might be helpful http://www.staralliance.com/en/trave...de_awards.html

If you're booking a (deeply) discounted ticket on UA....IMHO, it would be a mistake to buy it thinking that you'll be able to upgrade it with CO miles.

As has been said, nothing has been announced but OnePass is not known as a program that is generous in allowing the use of its miles for upgrades on partner airlines.
I actually would suggest that CO is more generous than most in terms of partner upgrades, thanks to NW/KL possibilities. And yet they still are not particularly easily available. That benefit just doesn't really exist much anywhere.

To the OP, as you noted, the details are not known yet so noone knows. But I'd plan on the answer being "no" and be happy if that is not the case.
Old May 22, 09, 4:01 am
Original Poster

I actually see that CO is offering an economy flight fron SIN to DFW now, so I might just go with that.

Thanks for all the help!
Old May 22, 09, 4:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blake56 View Post
I actually see that CO is offering an economy flight fron SIN to DFW now, so I might just go with that.

Thanks for all the help!

I specified a ticket in B for SIN to DFW on CO.com and it gave me a G fare on ANA and a T fare on UA for the flights from SIN to TOK/TOK to SIN

If I was to do the 200 + 50,000 miles for a BusinessFirst upgrade, would the SIN to TOK/TOK to SIN legs get the upgrade too?

Thanks! I am just a rookie at using my miles - I just let them build and build. LOL
Old May 22, 09, 6:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
CO is not yet a member of Star Alliance, and it is not possible to use CO miles for upgrades on a Star Alliance carrier.
Old May 22, 09, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy View Post
CO is not yet a member of Star Alliance, and it is not possible to use CO miles for upgrades on a Star Alliance carrier.
Said flight is planned for December, after the approximation for CO's switch.
Old May 22, 09, 8:03 am

CO & UA are holding all this info very tight. Must wait until Oct.24th for answers.
Old May 22, 09, 8:13 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
One indirect option is to trade your CO miles for SWUs or UA miles on CC as long as you purchase W or higher fare buckets for SWU upgrade or any published fare plus a copay for miles upgrade. You should be able to earn CO miles on UA metal by that time (provided that CO allows mileage accrual on the fare bucket you purchase).

LAX
Old May 22, 09, 8:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If I was to do the 200 + 50,000 miles for a BusinessFirst upgrade, would the SIN to TOK/TOK to SIN legs get the upgrade too?
As of right now I'd guess no.
Old May 22, 09, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
I specified a ticket in B for SIN to DFW on CO.com and it gave me a G fare on ANA and a T fare on UA for the flights from SIN to TOK/TOK to SIN

LOL
Can you specify the dates? I'm getting a B fare on CO from HOU to NRT and back. You may also want to price out the fare to HOU only, and see if you can find a cheap CO flight separately for HOU to DTW. Then combine later. Just because paying for a B fare for a one-hour flight is not really worth it, and you have to collect luggage anyway.
Old May 22, 09, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Do you have any UA miles? UA's copay + miles system starts 7/1, so if it's 100% UA metal, you'd get upgraded all the way through.

I doubt you'd get a multi-carrier itin upgraded on one upgrade.
Old May 23, 09, 1:09 am
Original Poster

Dates are depart Sin on Dec 23, return from DFW on Jan 4.

I have a negligible amount of miles on UA, thats the problem. I put my *A miles on my SQ KrisFlyer and I'm still wondering why I did that!
Old May 23, 09, 6:04 am

Programs: TK *Gold; WN A-list; NEXUS; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy View Post
He'll be flying UA in DEC after CO's entrance into Star

Search this Thread