Can these be Chase Presidential Plus benefits ??

Old May 19, 09, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, IHG Plat AMB, HHonors Diamond, Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis Presidents Club
Question Can these be Chase Presidential Plus benefits ??

I mentioned to a friend the other day that I had been upgraded on a business trip recently (IAH-MCO-IAH), and how I'd been getting a decent amount of upgrades, even as a "lowly" Silver.

She (non-Elite) e-mailed me that she had upgraded her old Continental Chase Visa to a PP MasterCard, and said "now I'll be eligible for upgrades, too. Plus, I can get up to nine people in the President's Club IF they are on my reservation or two guests any other time. It costs more a year than my other one, but it's still cheaper than the annual fee for the President's Club. Also, the first two bags are free for not only me, but whoever is on my reservation. I know this is old hat for you, but I'm excited!"

I know she'll get the free checked bags, and access to the PC, (but with nine people??) And what about the "eligible for upgrades" thing? I don't think it does that -- and am thinking she misunderstood the benefits descriptions somehow. I haven't said anything to her yet because I wanted to make sure I knew what I was talking about before I burst her bubble (about the upgrades, anyway). I've looked at the website for all the different types of credit cards, and can find nothing about flight upgrades (hotels and rental cars, yes, in flight upgrades -- no).

Am I missing something, or did she? We travel together sometimes, and it would be nice if we could both be upgraded together. If nothing else works, I'll be Gold later this year and can try the Companion route for her.

Thank you for any clarification you can give me.
Old May 19, 09, 9:33 am

Programs: United Premier Gold, United Club
wow, either she really misread something or someone told her totally incorrect info. with the PPlus card you can only guest in 2 additional people to the club, and you ARE NOT eligible for upgrades (EUA). you do get the elite access check in and boarding though.

The confusion may stem from the fact that up to nine other people on the same reservation can get elite check in and boarding, and free luggage allowance.(so card holder + 9 friends). If the reservation exceeds 10 people total then you don't get it.
Old May 19, 09, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
wrong on a few accounts, can't get nine in

checked bags for party is true but there is a limit to it on how many, I was tihking 4 on same PNR but maybe wrong, I can't find it on the site now.
Now about upgrades, some special offers were sent out to make silver, but very few. most are like a non official "CO Bronze" where you get eliteaccess, priority baggage, free drink coupons and the like, but not upgrades.
Old May 19, 09, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, IHG Plat AMB, HHonors Diamond, Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Steph3n View Post
Now about upgrades, some special offers were sent out to make silver, but very few. most are like a non official "CO Bronze" where you get eliteaccess, priority baggage, free drink coupons and the like, but not upgrades.
Maybe this is what they offered her...although she didn't mention the word 'Silver' in her note. Who knows?

Thank you for the replies
Old May 19, 09, 1:22 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Well, you could get 9 into the PC: You're entitled to yourself, spouse and kids, or yourself +2. So if you have enough kids to field a baseball team, you could get them all in.
Old May 21, 09, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Update - Credit card reps need training ??

I spoke to my friend last night about the terms of her Presidential Plus card. She said two different people told her she can get nine guests into the PClub. She specifically asked the second person to verify what the first person had told her, and they both gave the same answer. I said, "Wow -- imagine Continental letting 10 people in for the price of less than one!"

She also said that they told her she will be eligible for upgrades after all Elites have been upgraded, and will not have to pay the upgrade "co-pay" (or whatever they call it). This part I find slightly less difficult to believe, but never saw anything about that in the terms I read about online.

I still don't believe they'll let in that many guests, but if she has her immediate family with her on a trip (parents, brother and sister-in-law), will they let them all in?
Old May 21, 09, 9:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by lindaiah View Post
She also said that they told her she will be eligible for upgrades after all Elites have been upgraded, and will not have to pay the upgrade "co-pay" (or whatever they call it). This part I find slightly less difficult to believe, but never saw anything about that in the terms I read about online.
This is not a benefit of the card.

I still don't believe they'll let in that many guests, but if she has her immediate family with her on a trip (parents, brother and sister-in-law), will they let them all in?
No. CO defines "immediate family" as spouse and all children. Siblings, parents, uncles, etc are considered "guests" and are covered by the +2 limit, but you can only do family OR guests, not both.

Is she getting this info from a Chase rep or a CO rep? I'd believe it from the former but not from the latter.
Old May 21, 09, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
This is not a benefit of the card.

No. CO defines "immediate family" as spouse and all children. Siblings, parents, uncles, etc are considered "guests" and are covered by the +2 limit, but you can only do family OR guests, not both.

Is she getting this info from a Chase rep or a CO rep? I'd believe it from the former but not from the latter.
Probably from a Chase rep, because it sounded like they called her to offer an "upgrade" from her old card.

If a person has neither a spouse nor children, what then constitutes "immediate family" by Continental's definition? Her parents and brother are her only family. They should count, I would think.
Old May 21, 09, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Probably from a Chase rep, because it sounded like they called her to offer an "upgrade" from her old card.

If a person has neither a spouse nor children, what then constitutes "immediate family" by Continental's definition? Her parents and brother are her only family. They should count, I would think.
the would simply be guests, not family, only 2 could come in.
Old May 21, 09, 9:45 am

And yet, it doesn't.

CO had to come up with some definition for consistent enforcement and the one I described above is it. I, too, do not have children and have had similar discussions with the PC agents in the past. Now I just don't bother as I'm rarely with that many people anyways. But the rules are the rules. She can get any two in for free and the third is $25 extra.
Old May 21, 09, 11:08 am
Original Poster

The "immediate family" thing doesn't seem fair, but I guess I can understand why they would have to develop some sort of standard policy.

My friend will be very disappointed. She and her family are going on a cruise (out of SEA) later this year, and I think she was hoping to get all of them (herself plus 4) into the PC up there.

Maybe Day Passes would work...

Thank you for the responses.
Old May 21, 09, 11:13 am

Maybe Day Passes would work...
At the airport it is supposed to be only $25 for additional admissions for a member, not the $45 full price, so it should only cost an extra $50 to get them in.
Old May 21, 09, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
At the airport it is supposed to be only $25 for additional admissions for a member, not the $45 full price, so it should only cost an extra $50 to get them in.
Thank you, I'll tell her that. It should help take at least some of the sting out!

Search this Thread