Wiki Posts
Search

Is there a Doctor on board

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2009, 5:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.7mm
Is there a Doctor on board

I have flown HKG to EWR once a month for the two years. On about 3 out 4 flights there is a PSA for a doctor on board. Any ideas?
Is it the food,the air, or lack there of. Or maybe the sardine effect?
Old May 19, 2009, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA PLAT, SPG PLAT. Collector of Chase UR points
Originally Posted by kenziid3
I have flown HKG to EWR once a month for the two years. On about 3 out 4 flights there is a PSA for a doctor on board. Any ideas?
I have had this a few times on flights through the years. if you fly enough it's bound to happen. People can get sick, have MI's, pass out, have a stroke, ect.
Old May 19, 2009, 5:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
I have personally been the "doctor on board" (and I'm a radiologist ) 4 times in the last ten years. All were on domestic/caribbean.

One time I got a bit angry b/c the onboard medical kit had blood a pressure cuff was broken (not just non-functional but the pressure meter had obviously been "harvested").

Anyhow........ 4/4 ended up being transient episodes of panic/ lightheadedness. Not a serious event in the bunch. *breathes sigh of relief*
Old May 19, 2009, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by dergon darkhelm
.....One time I got a bit angry b/c the onboard medical kit had blood a pressure cuff was broken (not just non-functional but the pressure meter had obviously been "harvested").
Both of them?

Sometimes, Medical Emergencies are due to people making poor choices to travel when ill.
Old May 19, 2009, 7:21 am

Programs: AA EXP
I have personally been the "doctor on board" (and I'm a radiologist ) 4 times in the last ten years. All were on domestic/caribbean.

One time I got a bit angry b/c the onboard medical kit had blood a pressure cuff was broken (not just non-functional but the pressure meter had obviously been "harvested").

Anyhow........ 4/4 ended up being transient episodes of panic/ lightheadedness. Not a serious event in the bunch. *breathes sigh of relief*
I curious to know if after your help in the situation the crew was extra thankful to you, like offering to sit in F or can we have your info to send TY letter etc.
Old May 19, 2009, 7:26 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by CO757
Both of them?

Sometimes, Medical Emergencies are due to people making poor choices to travel when ill.
In all of my travels, I had never had a medical emergency onboard until a recent IAH-EWR flight. A guy (mid-late 20's?) had an eileptic seizure in the bathroom and was passed out. According to the FA's & Doc on Board, he was traveling without his medications
Old May 19, 2009, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Originally Posted by seaskybound
the crew was extra thankful to you, like offering to sit in F or can we have your info to send TY letter etc.
I've helped out on a couple of occasions -- once I received a nice thank you letter from the airline's HQ (never helped on CO). Didn't need/want/expect anything else. On one flight I actually gave up my (EUA'ed) seat in F so I could remain near the patient. And no, I didn't demand compensation.

Legally there might be an interesting situation if someone "helped" with the expectation of compensation for their services. The good Samaritan clause (which I know has ill-defined meaning) would more or less be eradicated if it could be proven you helped with the expectation of compensation. I've heard (on FT) that DL sends gift baskets to those that help.

dergon - was it you that helped out on a JFK - LAS flight on US a couple years ago when a patient presented with "chest pain"? It was myself and a radiologist that assisted.
Old May 19, 2009, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
Im Dr. Van Nostrand, from the clinic.
Old May 19, 2009, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Originally Posted by rolov
Im Dr. Van Nostrand, from the clinic.
Suzie, page Dr. Bison... tell him it's for me
Old May 19, 2009, 10:33 am

It's me, Dr. Rosenpenis. Where's the record's room?

dergon - was it you that helped out on a JFK - LAS flight on US a couple years ago when a patient presented with "chest pain"? It was myself and a radiologist that assisted.
Nope ----actually I have never flown into or out of LFK before.

Both of them?
What? Are there supposed to be two medical kits? If so, that was never offerred to me as an alternative.

I was curious to know if after your help in the situation the crew was extra thankful to you, like offering to sit in F or can we have your info to send TY letter etc.
Nope. FAs were professional during the course of the incidents but never effusive with thanks. Some nearby passengers gave pats on the back. Never received any drinks, UG, notes, or even specific thanks upon deplaning. But then again, when it has happenned in the past I'm usually just happy that none of the crew have called me to the carpet for practicing medicne with a blood alcohol 0.20% and 10 mg of valium on board.
Old May 19, 2009, 10:49 am

Programs: CO Platinum
To the OP, you probably heard one of them for my daughter.
Back in February
Sat., Feb. 21, 2009:
CO98 departing HKG at 11:25 a.m. arriving EWR at 1:50 p.m.

My 7 year old daughter had picked up some nasty bug bites in HKG. On the flight back over northern China the bites turned into huge nasty welts. I asked the FA for some Benadryl and for liability purposes they declined so my wife understandably took it to the next level. Got a physician on the flight to administer Benadryl from the inflight kit and all was well.

Sure woke up the plane though.
Old May 19, 2009, 10:58 am

.....What? Are there supposed to be two medical kits? If so, that was never offered to me as an alternative.
The stethoscope and blood pressure cuff are attached to the outside of the kit because they are the most frequently used items -inside are an additional pair.

Perhaps the alcohol and Valium affected your hearing the crew offer the other BP cuff???
Old May 19, 2009, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by CO757
The stethoscope and blood pressure cuff are attached to the outside of the kit because they are the most frequently used items -inside are an additional pair.

Perhaps the alcohol and Valium affected your hearing the crew offer the other BP cuff???
I must have had an old kit. I think the flight was CLE-FLL circa 2000. The kit was a metal box, iirc
Old May 19, 2009, 11:06 am

Programs: UA PP (47% MM), HH Gold, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by belynch
suzie, page dr. Bison... Tell him it's for me
who told you to put the balm on?!?!?!?!?!?!
Old May 19, 2009, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by kenziid3
It couldn't be the unlimited variables of what each customer brings (i.e., their health problems, drug intakes, psychological issues, etc.)? It has the be the airline's fault (as described above - food, air (lack of), 'sardine effect').

In 23 years of dealing with medical problems onboard, not one has been related to the food, the air, the lack of air, the sardine effect, etc.. It has been an issue the customer had prior to boarding. 100% of the time, at least with me.

I am grateful, though, for those who assist with any medical issue. My hats off to all those who have helped and continue to help (this includes those at MedLink).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.