Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Didn't clear standby for earlier flight, still got charged

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Didn't clear standby for earlier flight, still got charged

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2009, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz 5-star, Marriott Gold
Angry Didn't clear standby for earlier flight, still got charged

Title pretty much says it all. Stood by last week for an earlier DCA-IAH flight. Ended up #1 on the standby list when the closed the door (thanks to the plat that showed up at the last minute and took the last seat). Checked my credit card statement yesterday and saw that I got charged the stand by fee anyway. CO says that it will probably take 10 days to process the refund. Also, the agent on the refund line said "Why do they keep doing this at the airport?" and implied that this is a ongoing problem. Is this just incompetence in terms of the way the systems work, or is it just a way to get some extra cash if people don't notice it on their statement?
Old May 16, 2009, 2:12 pm

Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat
I'm sorry to hear of your troubles.

I've done SDC twice recently: once at SAN and once at MCO. At SAN, the flight had many empty seats, so they processed my SDC immediately. At MCO, the flight was sold-out, so the GA didn't take my CC information until the 15 minute cut-off when they release seats to stand-by passengers.
Old May 16, 2009, 2:23 pm

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Sorry this happened to you. I am kind of confused with this SDC 25$ fee.
I had a similar situation, where I paid 25$ and took a Standby Boarding pass. However, when i went to the gate, I realized that I may not get on the flight (but, fortunately, I got in thanks to a no-show).
So, why is the 25$ collected as "same day confirmed" when you may actually not get on that flight?

Someone please elaborate. Thank you.
Old May 16, 2009, 2:24 pm

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Originally Posted by Totoro
I'm sorry to hear of your troubles.

I've done SDC twice recently: once at SAN and once at MCO. At SAN, the flight had many empty seats, so they processed my SDC immediately. At MCO, the flight was sold-out, so the GA didn't take my CC information until the 15 minute cut-off when they release seats to stand-by passengers.
Totoro: Your situation at MCO sounds like the way this should be done. For me, the Ticketing agent took the 25$ at check-in.
Old May 16, 2009, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by snod08
Totoro: Your situation at MCO sounds like the way this should be done. For me, the Ticketing agent took the 25$ at check-in.
They are not supposed to do that. Unfortunately, many things that are not supposed to happen actually do. If I have time, I ask the TA for a SBY pass to access the gate area. Otherwise, I merely show TSA my original boarding pass, and they've never denied me access even when the flight doesn't depart until the next day (within 12 hours, or course). Don't ask TSA for permission, but be prepared to explain your attempt to SBY onto an earlier flight (if you have BP for next day's flight).
Old May 16, 2009, 2:33 pm

The system is designed so that you can do the same day standby at the ticket counter and you are NOT to be charged until you clear onto the flight you are waitlisted on.

GAs are not to be handling the transaction at all.
Old May 16, 2009, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by sfogate
The system is designed so that you can do the same day standby at the ticket counter and you are NOT to be charged until you clear onto the flight you are waitlisted on.

GAs are not to be handling the transaction at all.
Wow, I didn't realize that. Thanks for sharing your insight. Of course, if I actually tried to tell TA at another station, they'll probably think I'm crazy.

The first time I did SDC, I had a late inbound for my SAN-IAH flight and wanted to protect my connection.

The second time at MCO, the TA looked at me as if I were crazy requesting SDC for an itinerary scheduled for early the next morning. She insisted that SDC had to be on the same calendar day That's when I gave up and hurriedly rushed to the gate to discuss with GA, whom are usually much better informed about rules than the TAs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.