Slow year --- not platinum until may

Old May 16, 09, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Most of them
Slow year --- not platinum until may

I got my 75000 miles in last year bu the end of March. This year not until now.

Another bummer. I was planning to take my wife to Italy to extend a business trip. R/T business class would have taken 250,000 miles (yowzzaa) --wound up just paying the 5400$ for the ticket. Penalties of not planning ahead far enough.

How are you progressing?
Old May 16, 09, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K and 1 Million Miles, Marriott Plat Premier and LT Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
65,000 miles so far on ALL domestic flights! I would have made Plat this year even with out the DEQM but they sure helped me get there faster
Old May 16, 09, 12:54 pm

Programs: CO Plat. HH Diamond , SPG Platinum, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by davidash View Post
65,000 miles so far on ALL domestic flights! I would have made Plat this year even with out the DEQM but they sure helped me get there faster
DEQM realy helping during this slow(er) year - which I am actually happy about. Though not sure what to do with myself with three weeks at home -- that's a record for the past few years. Just hit 50K on all domestic, and scheduled June flights will push to 65K. So plat by sometime in July (about the same as last year without DEQM).
Old May 16, 09, 1:18 pm
Moderator: United MileagePlus

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past. (IAH, DEN, YKF)
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Slow year here too -- looks like I won't even hit gold.

~17,000 currently on CO
~42,000 year end '09 on CO

<and FWIW>

~136,000 on AA & UA currently
~200,000 + on AA & UA year end '09
Old May 16, 09, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
~17,000 currently on CO

<and FWIW>

That's a lot of travel! Is this all real travel or are there mileage runs thrown in there?

With DEQM I'll easily reach CO plat this year. I had actually planned travel without the DEQM promotion so I guess I'll accumulate further towards million miler status.
Old May 16, 09, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
~17,000 currently on CO

<and FWIW>

Why are you leaning away from CO? You do live in IAH, right?
Old May 16, 09, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Most of them
~17,000 currently on CO

<and FWIW>

Yiikes. I hit 220,000 actual but miles one calendar year (all carriers combined, not counting bonus miles) roughly the distance to the moon as I recall it.

I quit that job and started consulting. Little did I know I would hit 200k again. I scatter it with Qatar, Emirates, BA, CO, KLM and the odd AA where I have 3 million plus miles (they count everything).

I think I have a big old carbon footprint.
Old May 16, 09, 2:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by OPFlyer View Post
You do live in IAH, right?
No, he doesn't (anymore).

Given his home base, travel patterns and the ridiculous deal UA had to SYD earlier this year I think he's actually doing it quite right.
Old May 16, 09, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by Lurker1999 View Post
That's a lot of travel! Is this all real travel or are there mileage runs thrown in there?
A little "real" travel -- but mostly just runs to take advantage of the excellent fares and promotions.

Originally Posted by Lurker1999 View Post
I had actually planned travel without the DEQM promotion so I guess I'll accumulate further towards million miler status.
I was in a similar position a few years ago (before the days of double EQMs) and eventually decided that it might make sense to diversify away from a single carrier (that's when I made the choice to also shoot for PremEx on UA.) Anyways in hingsight that was a good move and if you've tagged Plat, why not think about a secondary carrier. AA has some excellent deals out of BOS right now...Double EQMs + Triple base miles on the n/s services to CA...not bad

Plus you can score a significant amount of AA mileage via Citi cardS and you'll have access to another alliance that offers excellent redemption options.

Remember QF in J/F for 115/135k OnePass miles back in the day before they jumped up? Currently in AA land it's 125/145 for J/F on QF...and they now do one way awards too! (So in other words if you sign up for 3 Citi cards, say the biz one, the Visa and the MC you'll net at least ~75,000 points, enough for a o/w F ticket, wait six months, do it again and you've got yourself a premium award to Australia...and of course all miles count towards MM status.)

Originally Posted by OPFlyer View Post
Why are you leaning away from CO? You do live in IAH, right?
That I did; I recently took a job in the TPA area and have had a bit more flexibility in carriers (as well as some killer fares.)

But beyond that CO Plat for me has lost a lot of it's value, especially when compared to the top-tier offerings of other carriers. While the merits and pitfalls of this can be debated ad nasuem here, for my particular needs and flying patterns, CO really does not make sense when compared to their competitors.

That said, I am loathe to give up a status and there's a good chance that I might just requal for Plat 2011 by the second week of Jan 2010.

Originally Posted by fracmeister View Post
Yiikes. I hit 220,000 actual but miles one calendar year (all carriers combined, not counting bonus miles) roughly the distance to the moon as I recall it.
The moon, you say Impressive!
Old May 16, 09, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Given his home base, travel patterns and the ridiculous deal UA had to SYD earlier this year I think he's actually doing it quite right.
<sigh> That was a good deal on UA. A really good deal

But I am kicking myself for not getting in on your UA deal -- never been in PS F and would have liked to try it. Oh well, next time!
Old May 16, 09, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fabulous on one of the US carriers..
I made plat by May 9, which is the earliest I've ever made any status - ever -due to DEQM. Probably will never happen again. I would have tried to wratchet up my status on AA but no time or money for that effort.

One gentleman I met on a plane had 3.5mm lifetime miles (if I heard him correctly) was, in effect *double-plat* for the year '09 already if you want to word it like that he was at 150K for the year). I indicated he might want to think about getting status on another carrier as well but he didn't seem too interested (why do that when he could use his miles to upgrade?). Well ok then..
Old May 16, 09, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Silver -->Plat in 2 weeks by the end of April thanks to DEQM and a trip to South America. Thinking about starting on another airline, but I know I won't hit top tier and I'd rather get the RDM's on CO.
Old May 16, 09, 3:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

But I am kicking myself for not getting in on your UA deal -- never been in PS F and would have liked to try it. Oh well, next time!
I actually didn't get the JFK routing. My longhauls were IAD-SAN (319) and SAN-ORD (752). Just not the same, but not so bad anyways. They were certainly better than the NK positioning flight I took FLL-TPA.
Old May 16, 09, 5:20 pm

Location: KFST (Nrst=KMAF) or wherever the airplane just took me from there.; PWP Botmaster
Programs: Pre Merger - CO Plat/1MM/STAR. Post Merger - UA 1K/2MM.
/me points to signature block below
Old May 16, 09, 8:45 pm

I was in a similar position a few years ago (before the days of double EQMs) and eventually decided that it might make sense to diversify away from a single carrier (that's when I made the choice to also shoot for PremEx on UA.) Anyways in hingsight that was a good move and if you've tagged Plat, why not think about a secondary carrier. AA has some excellent deals out of BOS right now...Double EQMs + Triple base miles on the n/s services to CA...not bad
You know I've thought about it but unfortunately I find I already spend a little more money to requal on CO, which yields me good returns as well in terms of upgrades, but if I take on another carrier I can see myself wanting to hold that status.

That's one reason I let my UA 2P expire. I have been thinking about doing some AA churning while that cash cow still lasts but unfortunately I have little to no ability to do the common Tue/Wed/Thu runs to hold status beyond that first year.

I think I've deliberately been ignoring whether I can actually get status on AA for that reason.. But the temptation is always there.

Search this Thread