Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Denied companion upgrade POP-EWR despite FC not being full

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denied companion upgrade POP-EWR despite FC not being full

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2009, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Syzygies
Anyone else afraid of contract agent bungling? Print out multiple copies for the trip of anything you're afraid a remote agent will get wrong. I'm serious.
The problem in this case is that the agents have no clue that they can and should process the upgrade. If you get past that part you will find they have no idea how to actually do it, and no desire to learn.
Old May 13, 2009, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (former 1K, Delta Platinum))
Of course, in the grand scheme of things this is a minor annoyance. I'm two degrees of separation from several dead in the Buffalo crash. To learn that Continental paints its name on those planes, but doesn't consider itself responsible legally or to us for the level of pilot training, now that's horrifying. If I could fix one thing, I wouldn't waste it on anyone's upgrades.
Old May 13, 2009, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Or you could be a real pr!ck and dispute the charge with your credit card since you were denied benefits that you deserved...
If you want to be a real pr!ck, forget the dispute and the DOT complaint, and sue them for the fare difference between what he paid and the F fare.
Old May 13, 2009, 10:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
I L O V E the idea of disputing the charge with your credit card. The credit card company i'm sure will accept the dispute, at least initially.

You have a case - they have an agreement, they failed it. Simple. The facts can be verified. Yes, the upgrade is complimentary, but it is a term of agreement with CO, if it's available, it's yours, and they failed.

Do it.

I read somebody else asking would this have happened in the Bethune Era - it would NOT have, and if it did, compensatation would have been flowing.
Old May 13, 2009, 10:50 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Originally Posted by JerseyCityS
I read somebody else asking would this have happened in the Bethune Era - it would NOT have, and if it did, compensatation would have been flowing.
That was me -- and that's what I thought.

Originally Posted by JerseyCityS
I L O V E the idea of disputing the charge with your credit card. The credit card company i'm sure will accept the dispute, at least initially.

You have a case - they have an agreement, they failed it. Simple. The facts can be verified. Yes, the upgrade is complimentary, but it is a term of agreement with CO, if it's available, it's yours, and they failed.

Do it.
I'd say let COInsider take a crack at it before going down this road.

Originally Posted by channa
If you want to be a real pr!ck, forget the dispute and the DOT complaint, and sue them for the fare difference between what he paid and the F fare.
LOL....yeah, I'd say that would qualify as being a pr!ck! Just the time their in-house counsel would waste on responding to the suit would more than cover the fare difference. This is definitely the nuclear option!

Last edited by TommyC80; May 13, 2009 at 10:56 pm
Old May 14, 2009, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by TommyC80
That was me -- and that's what I thought.

I'd say let COInsider take a crack at it before going down this road.

LOL....yeah, I'd say that would qualify as being a pr!ck! Just the time their in-house counsel would waste on responding to the suit would more than cover the fare difference. This is definitely the nuclear option!
How many times it must be said that WEDONTCARE!
Old May 14, 2009, 7:31 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Something this simple shouldn't require you to have to even talk to an agent. There is no reason they could not allow you to log into the mobile site, and enter one PNR as your companion. Bam done. Problem solved.

Imagine how much time this would save gate agents system wide.
Old May 14, 2009, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
W
Originally Posted by LordHamster
Something this simple shouldn't require you to have to even talk to an agent. There is no reason they could not allow you to log into the mobile site, and enter one PNR as your companion. Bam done. Problem solved.

With the TPA call center closing, because customers are more web-savvy, having an option to by-pass agents, because they make mistakes, might be the best way to signal a problem to employees.
Old May 14, 2009, 10:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
Originally Posted by LordHamster

+1

This is the knid of thing that makes me cranky too, even though n othing happened to me. I don't like the notion that a person has to eternally vigilant in an effort to get what should rightfully be given....and I like even less that even with such vigilance CO reps are unwilling/unable to accomodate.

I say go ahead and dispute the charge. If CO comes back with a satisdfactory response you can always reverse the dispute and just pay up then.
Old May 14, 2009, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
With the TPA call center closing, because customers are more web-savvy, having an option to by-pass agents, because they make mistakes, might be the best way to signal a problem to employees.
CO has had, for a long time, a problem with phone agent training. And they tend to resort to the use of technology instead of resolving the training issue.

While this is 500 jobs lost in TPA, it's also 500 fewer agents CO has to train. From a beancounter perspective, this is a double win.
Old May 14, 2009, 11:47 pm

Programs: CO Plat, Priority Club Plat
The elite benefits are already diluted enough this year... so losing yet another benefit from lazy (in my case) or untrained agents (in this case) is not a nice comforting feeling to us... but is more of a slap in the face...

In this day and age, customer service should be the number one concern for all at CO and other airlines, as unhappy customers take their business elsewhere in a hurry...
Old May 15, 2009, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Syzygies
Continental paints its name on those planes, but doesn't consider itself responsible legally or to us for the level of pilot training, now that's horrifying. If I could fix one thing, I wouldn't waste it on anyone's upgrades.
+1
Old May 15, 2009, 10:01 am

Programs: Back of the bus
Your problem here is Puerto Plata. The agents don't care. They print the boarding pass as the flights get punched out, and don't make changes.

Believe me, I've been on flights from puerto plata where 10 families who normally would be seated all together all got split up because the computer randomly punched names out and the lazy agents didn't want to change them.

Keep in mind it's not a hub city, and the low paid agents don't give a rats ... about you anyway.
Old May 15, 2009, 11:04 am

Does anyone know if this station uses a CO computer or do they work this flight as a pseudo flight?

A pseudo flight is when CO faxes the names to the station, the station then manually inputs the seating information into their computer system and works from that.

You can make seat changes in a pseudo flight mode. Changing the class of service (upgrades) is something different and might not be possible using their own system to get that information.
Old May 15, 2009, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by jazzsax
Your problem here is Puerto Plata. The agents don't care. They print the boarding pass as the flights get punched out, and don't make changes.

Believe me, I've been on flights from puerto plata where 10 families who normally would be seated all together all got split up because the computer randomly punched names out and the lazy agents didn't want to change them.
The agent I went to was not being lazy. She bore with me as I tried to explain to her the second and third times about the upgrades. Additionally, the queue behind me was building up and people were getting restless, but she didn't just scoot me aside.

CO Insider has contacted me and told me he would be looking into the situation. I appreciate the help on this board in pointing me in the right direction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.