Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

"Self-Service" Upgrade -- What would you do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2009, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO Plat, A+ Elite

On a recent flight from IAH to SFO, The PDA upgrade standby list showed Capacity 20, Booked 10. There were NO advance upgrades. At the gate, one person was upgraded prior to boarding, at which time the PDA info showed Capacity 20, Booked 11. There were approximately 20 people on the upgrade list, with another sizeable flight standby list.

Once we began the boarding process, I was amazed to see how many people were monitoring their PDAs to see the upgrade process! However, the upgrades were extremely slow in coming. Probably less than 15 minutes before the departure time, the PDA info. showed upgrades being made. However, no one came on to announce any of these. After waiting several minutes more, people who saw they were upgraded on the PDA site got up and took their new seats. They uniformly informed the flight attendants what they were doing. Eventually, the GA starting bringing the new BPs on board, one at a time! This was the slowest upgrade process I have ever witnessed! And remember, there were still standby passengers to process and get seated.

So, have you ever been seated in Coach and seen from the PDA that you were upgraded--and taken your new seat before being called? Quite honestly, I think these passengers did the right thing. They did let the FAs know what was happening, and the FAs had no problem with it.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 9:25 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/ *G
Yup. I did it.

Saw my name moved up on the PDA, and saw they were close to closing the door, so I went for it. The Red Coat then came on board, saw someone occupying the seat she was about to give away and came at me with a very angry look on her face (and rightly so). She broke into a big smile when I just held up my PDA and said, "its OK, I'm Mr. tabTX".
Old Apr 30, 2009, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Yes, I have. The guy sitting next to me ratted me out to the FA, which was only funny because I was supposed to get the seat.

Even better is that I was actually in the seat of a companion u/g for another FTer so it was supposed to be a woman in the seat. Suffice it to say that the GA was thoroughly confused, despite my efforts to explain the situation.

I have no problems with folks taking the u/g if it really is theirs.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 9:43 am

Programs: CO PE, DL PM
I have done that too. In one case, the GA actually came on board as I was walking up, and I asked her if the BP in her hand was for me? It caught her off guard

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.