Wiki Posts
Search

Now that Mexico is closed...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2009, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Now that Mexico is closed...

...how will this impact CO and their IAH operations?

Is there going to be a slew of people back-logged in IAH for a while?

What happens to equipment allocated for routes in Mexico?

With the government shutting down non-essential businesses ...and the government itself... for 5 days, things can't fare well for CO which probably has the biggest network of flights into Mexico of the US carriers.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
I would think this would be good for CO. The flights would be operating with few passengers anyway and would most likely be losing money. As far as equipment, I'm sure CO can handle OPS without a few ERJs.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 8:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Weatherboy
things can't fare well for CO which probably has the biggest network of flights into Mexico of the US carriers.
It is the largest. If they don't fly the flights they'll just leave the planes grounded. I doubt many of them did triangles from one hub to another via Mexico so they'll just sit idle in the hubs instead. Not a huge deal, though they may need to find space to park a few extra planes in hangars or something.

As for whether the flights will cancel or not, I guess we'll find out soon enough.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 8:24 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold,Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by OPFlyer
I would think this would be good for CO. The flights would be operating with few passengers anyway and would most likely be losing money. As far as equipment, I'm sure CO can handle OPS without a few ERJs.
OPflyer, thats half true, the flights to all Mexico destinations now are running an average of a 10-20% load factor, I even saw a flight to Cancun this evening with only 5 people. The flights for the return however are almost full, so if we do stop operations that will cause chaos for those stations.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

The Mexican government said tonight that airports are exempt from the mandatory closings, saying transport is an "essential service."

Then again, with flight loads at least into Mexico being poor, I wonder what this will do to the system that serves there.

It was bad enough for the Mexican tourism industry to deal with the drug-related violence and kidnappings recently ...now the virus is going to deliver a knock-out punch in the short-term to their economy. I guess on the bright side for travelers, once the outbreak goes away, fares and resort prices will be at bargain-basement levels to woo back tourists.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by sbm12
It is the largest. If they don't fly the flights they'll just leave the planes grounded. I doubt many of them did triangles from one hub to another via Mexico so they'll just sit idle in the hubs instead. Not a huge deal, though they may need to find space to park a few extra planes in hangars or something.

As for whether the flights will cancel or not, I guess we'll find out soon enough.
They have plenty room at ELP, MFE, ABI, and others to park short term.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 9:19 am
Original Poster

CO Still Flying

Doesn't look like CO has made many changes to their Mexico schedules yet.

Maybe VP Biden's recommendation to stay off planes this morning will change that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.