Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Great Service CO 868 EWR-LAS and WOW, what a way to serve Cognac

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2009, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"

I have only praise for the incredible flight attendants working CO 868 from EWR-LAS yesterday.

Not only was the service incredibly professional and prompt, but I was blown away by my Cognac service.

After lunch, when the very attentive flight attendant asked if I wanted anything else, I said, "sure, a Cognac." He replied "would you like it straight up, and should I warm it for you?" --- of course my reaction was "YES!"

My Courvoisier VSOP Cognac was delivered in a bath of warm water, and the glass was appropriately heated. WOW!! ^^^

Is this a common procedure on CO? I've never seen it before, but it sure was awesome.

Only thing better would have been a Hennessy Paradis, but I knew that would be forthcoming upon arrival in Vegas (and, yes, it most certainly was after a most lovely dinner outside @ SW @ Wynn Las Vegas).
Old Apr 26, 2009, 6:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Very nice!

I think that many of the FAs have their own "tricks" for little things like that to make the service just a bit better when they want to. I had one FA who carried a mini pepper grinder and offered fresh ground pepper on the appropriate courses during meal service. I've had one share some recipes for cooking in the galley, including biscuits & gravy and making chocolate milk on flights even when there isn't the sundae cart with the syrup.

Little things like this are truly what make flying enjoyable for me.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 9:43 am

Programs: UA Premier Silver, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
Be sure to send in a compliment letter to CO.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Man, I can't even get my nuts warmed on a domestic flight!
Old Apr 26, 2009, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Man, I can't even get my nuts warmed on a domestic flight!
Ask for an extra blanket.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA 1mm Gold. Former 1K and GS.
Originally Posted by baccarat_king

Is this a common procedure on CO? I've never seen it before, but it sure was awesome.
It's pretty common, for me at least.

Perhaps not on a domestic flight, but fairly common for BF.

Actually, UA almost does it as a matter of course. I actually have to ask for it NOT to be heated as I prefer mine out-of-bottle.

Glad it's finding it's way to domestic flights.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA and HH
Glad your service was better than mine (on 4/17). My friend and I were in F and we got cut off after 2 BEERS. The FA claimed that we drank them too fast so she refused to serve us more.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by gbryan84
Glad your service was better than mine (on 4/17). My friend and I were in F and we got cut off after 2 BEERS. The FA claimed that we drank them too fast so she refused to serve us more.

I'd like to see that FA work the OSL flights...
Old Apr 26, 2009, 4:58 pm

Programs: CO Plat, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by justhere
Ask for an extra blanket.
I wish that I had said that.

(Some day I will.)
Old Apr 26, 2009, 11:01 pm

Programs: UNITED Mileage Plus,JetBlue True Blue, American AAdvantage
It definitely showed that the crew cared about their job and tried their best to ensure you have a great time onboard. I think the least you can do is send CO a compliment letter hopefully it traces back to the crew. If this behavior was only common......
Old Apr 27, 2009, 12:19 am

Please do send in a letter! Feel free to ask for it to be warmed, it's as simple as putting some hot water in a mug to warm it up for you.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Non-TypiCAL F/A
Please do send in a letter! Feel free to ask for it to be warmed, it's as simple as putting some hot water in a mug to warm it up for you.
Yes, that does seem rather simple. But so does giving me a little more detail on the wine offerings when I'm flying BusinessFirst, beyond "French White or California White." Several times, I've had the FAs go near apoplectic when I asked for more information, or to see the bottles. I'm not a cognac drinker, but if I were, I'd sure as heck be hesitant to ask for it to be served warm!
Old Apr 27, 2009, 7:04 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
... I'm not a cognac drinker, but if I were, I'd sure as heck be hesitant to ask for it to be served warm!
And because of that, when the FAs go home at the end of the day after serving you, they don't tell their friends "what a blowhard I had on my flight today."

Can you warm my cognac.....c'mon give me a break.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by sbm12
Little things like this are truly what make flying enjoyable for me.
+1, it's the "little things" that make life interesting, on a daily basis.

Originally Posted by OPFlyer
Be sure to send in a compliment letter to CO.
I was planning to.

Originally Posted by climmy
It's pretty common, for me at least.

Perhaps not on a domestic flight, but fairly common for BF.

Actually, UA almost does it as a matter of course. I actually have to ask for it NOT to be heated as I prefer mine out-of-bottle.

Glad it's finding it's way to domestic flights.
That's quite interesting. Nice to hear this is more common, than I realized.

Originally Posted by Non-TypiCAL F/A
Not sure if i'd necessarily ask for my cognac this way on a regular basis; but I do appreciate FAs who strive to provide personalized service.

I'm not a cognac drinker, but if I were, I'd sure as heck be hesitant to ask for it to be served warm!
I'd say, ask politely, if it's something one desires. Worst case, the FA can refuse; though, I'm guessing most would comply; even if they feel you are a bit wacky.

Originally Posted by FlyAO2
Can you warm my cognac.....c'mon give me a break.
A polite first class passenger, with a request shouldn't ever be an issue. It's not a demand, it's a request.

What's the point of first class, if you can't make a "special" request?

BTW, this type of service, provides justification for one to choose CO when they are purchasing a first class ticket. In this case, I paid approximately $100 more (than other comparable flights) to book straight into first class on an A fare.

I concluded the flight with the feeling, that I would most definitely pay the $ to book right into CO FC. Only disclaimer is that the first class fare (A) from MHT-EWR-LAS is in the $300's+ tax. ^
Old Apr 27, 2009, 9:27 am

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
+1, it's the "little things" that make life interesting, on a daily basis.

A polite first class passenger, with a request shouldn't ever be an issue. It's not a demand, it's a request.
Great service isn't just limited to first class or CO. I had a fabulous FA on a COEx flight to BWI who was not only superb in the service mode, but was incredibly upbeat as well. She made everyone feel good she was so happy. I thought that the CO magazine had little cards for complimenting good service, but I was unable to find one. I think that they should put these into their magazine so they could get immediate feedback on good service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.